Options

Jennifer Metcalfe (Mercedes McQueen) leaving Hollyoaks

Comments

• Options
    mercury01mercury01 Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    Hopefully there is an interview lined up with her soon so we can find out what's going on.
    I don't want Mercedes to die. Ever!
  • Options
    Ready Steady GoReady Steady Go Posts: 39,592
    Forum Member
    It's definitely weird that she hasn't even been given a proper announcement. I can't remember that happening before.
  • Options
    GoingtothebeachGoingtothebeach Posts: 19,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You guys do realise that the articles says its confirmed that she plans to leave, so the plans aren't actually confirmed. She still has a year contract to go and everything can change in a year (if Kirkwood f**ks off)

She doesn't still have a year contract to go.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s13/hollyoaks/news/a489311/hollyoaks-jennifer-metcalfe-signing-new-contract-an-easy-decision.html

She signed up to September 2014.
  • Options
    Marianne_321Marianne_321 Posts: 25,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.soapsquawk.co.uk/news/hollyoaks-two-mcqueens-are-out-and-two-move-in.php

According to Soap Squawk Jen is leaving in the Autumn which is nearly here. This is even worse news. I had hoped we still had a few months of Mercy left before she went.

At this rate JP won't have any immediate family left to support him when/if his rape case goes to trial. Unless Hollyoaks try to fact track the trial as it looks like Finn may plead Guilty.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thank goodness

awful character, cannot stand her
  • Options
    yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,533
    Forum Member
    Fantastic News - about six years overdue though
  • Options
    vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe we're getting Mercedes 2.0 I've now doubt she'll drop into the loft storylines after Claire 2.0 (Grace) and Mitzeee 2.0 (Maxines first 6 months)
  • Options
    dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    porshe mcqueen... i know realized that the hollyoaks writers are 5 year olds.
  • Options
    Off_the_hook13Off_the_hook13 Posts: 17,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gutted about this. Jen has been amazing on Hollyoaks over the years. Mercedes is one of my favourite soap characters. She'll be a massive loss.

Can't see how bringing in all these new McQueens is going to make up for loosing people who have helped make Hollyoaks for a good number of years now.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    Well I disagree. I don't think Maxine is half as good as Mitzeee was, ditto her acting.

:confused: I never said she was better. I just said she wasn't as bad we all thought the character would be. Talk about putting words in my mouth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    :confused: I never said she was better. I just said she wasn't as bad we all thought the character would be. Talk about putting words in my mouth.

I agree I like Maxine, and Grace is shaping up alright now as well.
  • Options
    vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have absolutely no doubt Jen will end up back on the show one day though.

Not a chance either Carmel or Mercedes will leave but, I am guessing Carmel leaves with Kathleen-Angel and that Mercedes causes whatever big McQueen stunt happens and realises her family are better off without her and leaves to go and ruin Jacquis life all over again. I'd prefer she went to prison though, perhaps taking the blame for someone else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »

And mojo5000 merely disagreed with you and believes she was a dud and every bit as bad as she thought. Talk about putting words in her mouth.
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'II be sad to see Mercedes go, not too fussed about Carmel.
  • Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    And mojo5000 merely disagreed with you and believes she was a dud and every bit as bad as she thought. Talk about putting words in her mouth.

Exactly, thank you. I was only disagreeing - Maxine is still a dud in my eyes.
  • Options
    bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a shame that she's leaving as it really does feel like the end of an era! If I was BK I'd just let the family go now. Keep Nana, JP, Theresa and Phoebe and possibly try and tempt Michealea back or possibly Jenifique or Louis. Bringing in three new McQueens just ruins the current ones. There's too many at once! Also, I really don't like the sound of Porsche McQueen!
  • Options
    ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it's not a case of being sad to see Mercy go, I really do think she is past her sell by date as a character, but being sad that they are just replacing the character with another version.

They did do exactly the same when Rachel Shenton jumped ship, whether you like Maxine or not she was just a carbon copy of her sister, brought in to cover the future storylines that they had planned for Mitzeee.

They just never change.

The other new McQueen, spiritual but good hearted, remind anyone of of Carmel 'Jesus Potato, wants to become a nun' McQueen?

They write the show like a cartoon where characters are interchangeable, one person leaves so they just rewrite another to fit any outstanding plots.

Might as well just have a bunch of mannequins with voice recorders as a cast.

Not feeling the urge to start re-watching any time soon, no matter how many kidnaps there are.

Who do we think will be the first new McQueen to get kidnapped by the way?
  • Options
    Bluebird69Bluebird69 Posts: 5,570
    Forum Member
    Maxine definitely lived down to my very low expectations of the character. Pound-shop Mitzeee at best. ^_^

I'm surprised at this news, but maybe Jennifer already has something else lined up. I don't think she'd get many offers for serious drama roles, but she's a capable soap actor and could easily slot into maybe ED or Corrie.

I agree about the way this news has been handled - it does strike me as a slap in the face for Jen. Love or loathe the character, Mercedes has been a big character (one of the biggest) in the show for a long time, and Jennifer deserved a separate article, not being tagged on at the end of the announcement of the bargain-bin McQueens.

Probably BK's way of saying "f. you, who needs Mercedes?". What a dick.
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    Bizarre way to announce the departure of one of Hollyoaks' biggest ever characters...
  • Options
    winter99winter99 Posts: 16,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gutted about Carmel and Mercedes leaving! It does feel like end of an era. :( With the upcoming McQueen stunt it's likely that one (Or possibly two) of them will die. :( I don't want to judge before they've arrived but Porsche and Celine come across as rip-offs.

I wonder who'll be the next long-term cast member to leave? I think it could be Kieron Richardson?
  • Options
    winter99winter99 Posts: 16,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long are we expecting it to be before Porsche is mingling with Trevor & Grace in The Loft?

God, I don't think I can take Porsche seriously, like, seriously, Porsche? But Celine McQueen does have a nice ring to it.
  • Options
    FrancyFrancy Posts: 10,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, Porsche... at least Mercedes is not just the name of a car brand, it means Mercy in Spanish and it's a proper name there. Porsche is just ridiculous!!
  • Options
    ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Porsche named after the daughter of the man who designed the car?

And if I cast my mind back it rings a Shakespearean bell, doesn't make it any less ridiculous though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Francy wrote: »
    Yeah, Porsche... at least Mercedes is not just the name of a car brand, it means Mercy in Spanish and it's a proper name there. Porsche is just ridiculous!!

Porsche pronounced Porscha is an American name, but the only thing I have come across called that is cats called Porsche, Benz and Mercedes. I don't think the owner was Mr Kirkwood.
  • Options
    OminousGloryOminousGlory Posts: 5,019
    Forum Member
    Well, once she's goes I won't be watching any more. She is without question the best character on the show.