Dennis Pennis

DesmondpDesmondp Posts: 222
Forum Member
Anyone remember Dennis Pennis played by Paul Kaye in the 90s ?

I think enough time has passed that the new crop of celebs won't know who he is. He should do a one off special ambushing all of the new younger celebs.

Comments

• Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Desmondp wrote: »

I think enough time has passed that the new crop of celebs won't know who he is. He should do a one off special ambushing all of the new younger celebs.

:D Oh yes, I've got his VHS video tape, I was reminded of him due to Paul Kaye appearing in those betting service adverts (Victor something).
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desmondp wrote: »

"Pennis Pops Out"
  • Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved his encounter with Charlton Heston. He kept asking questions like:

"So, have you ever worked with De Niro? What do you thinks of Bobby....Charlton?"
    "So, have you ever worked with Jack Nicholson? What do you think of Jack...Charlton?"
    and so on and on, wtih every combination of the name Charlton. Old Stoneface was oblivious and kept carrying on signing his shitey gun-toting book. It was hysterical.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
  • tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    I much preferred Mike Strutter
    *Coarse language 18+*
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9Bfcqo5N7E
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,478
    Forum Member
    He really wound Kevin Costner up about 'Waterworld' - "I was glued to my seat...otherwise I would have got up and walked out". I think Costner was ready to thump him.

Didn't he also get a signed 'confession' from OJ Simpson?
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I think he's still too well remembered to be able to do it again effectively. Towards the end of his series (as I remember) he was starting to be recognised too often and it worked much better when the celebrity never saw it coming.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    The Steve Martin one - Even Paul Kaye said he wished he hadn't asked "that" question.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To Helena Christensen:
    DP: "Why did the supermodel stare at the carton of orange juice?".
    HC stares back blankly...
    DP: "Because it said 'concentrate' on it."
    HC (still none the wiser as to what's just happened): "I don't get it. But I don't think I was supposed to..."

I love that Helena was too dumb to get the joke, but at the same time, intelligent enough to realise she'd just been setup, even though she didn't understand how or why. :D
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to be the exception but I never found him even remotely funny.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Steve Martin one - Even Paul Kaye said he wished he hadn't asked "that" question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfL2QE4uR4k
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He used to make me cringe rather than laugh in a similar way to other TV pranksters like Ali G.

Fair play to him, though, to challenge the godlike status of major celebrities with some wonderful put-downs.

I don't think he could do it again because he's done quite a bit of acting work since and is fairly well known (most notably playing Thoros of Myr in Game of Thrones).
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was brilliant, a one off revival targeting some of the celebs of today would be very welcome.

I loved the one with Demi Moore - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdW9fEF9kPo
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
  • DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A London black-cab driver friend of mine told me of the time that he picked Paul Kaye up off City Road, Islington, and took him to Heathrow airport.
    They stopped at a set of lights and a minicab stopped next to them.
    The minicab driver called to the black-cab driver, "How can I get to X?"
    He said Paul Kaye called from the back, "By doing the Knowledge!"
    My friend said that he felt like giving him the ride for free, but he didn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dennis Pennis and his dad, Woody Allen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Doy9vckfc
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    This is one of my favourite clips of Dennis Pennis
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0bcjIa71Bo&feature=youtu.be&t=8m9s
  • tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    "Schwarzenegger, one of the biggest names in Holywood........14 letters"
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I doubt anyone could bring Dennis Pennis's career back to life, not even Thoros of Myr. ;)
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the philadelphia one was great
  • jwire1977jwire1977 Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    My favourite Pennis line I have never found again on youtube. He'd got Jeff Goldblum a few times, including the now digitally dated "I'm Jeff Goldblum and when I'm in England I watch BBC3" (DP retorts "Liar!"), and the next link to camera was along the lines of "nah, I'm Jeff Goldblum's biggest fan - I think he's SUPERcrap!" :D The JG line itself has turned up on Pennis compilations, but not the link. It may have been from The Sunday Show, I can't remember.
  • wolfie1968wolfie1968 Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    :D talking to Tom hanks about the movie Apollo 13, saying he didn't like it because there was no atmosphere lol :D
  • EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dennis Pennis, having got Joan Collins' attention on the red carpet: "Joan, Joan, you look like a million lira!"

She didn't find it funny. :D
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    I loved the one with Demi Moore - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdW9fEF9kPo
    I was tickled by his reaction afterwards. Demi was pretty cool about it as it was not like it was the first time she'd been given a hard time in interviews about plastic surgery and her roles.

Paul said he got fed up of standing around all night in the cold waiting to collar people for maybe one minute of footage. Not to mention people got wise to him.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Didn't he also get a signed 'confession' from OJ Simpson?

That was Armando Ianucchi, I think.