"Scotlands oil revenue has been underwriting the UKs failure to balance its books for

2»

Comments

• mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Im taking my cue on this from former chancellor of the exchequer Alistair Darling:)

and we have already discussed how reliable statements from politicians are
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    The OP has a habit of starting threads like this then gets very aggressive if you don't agree.

When you go looking for the posts to back up this allegation please bear in mind the meaning of the word very and the word aggressive.:)
    Forum Member
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    and we have already discussed how reliable statements from politicians are

What would Alistair have to gain for misleading on this matter at that point in time?:confused:
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    What would Alistair have to gain for misleading on this matter at that point in time?:confused:

no idea , I haven't seen the full context in which he made the remarks
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genuine question: In the event of a YES vote, what would happen to Scotland's economy once the oil has dried up (speculated to be in around 30 years time)?
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    no idea , I haven't seen the full context in which he made the remarks

It depends what year he said it in, in many ways. If he was speaking in the mid-nineties he is correct. Since then, not so much.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the OP would be good enough to give us times and dates of when this was actually said and in its full context. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disnae wrote: »
    I'd like to hear what he has to say re that as well. Issues re the oil revenue just haven't been at the forefront of this referendum campaign. I've had discussions with lots of people about the upcoming vote but not one person has said anything to me about the oil. They're more concerned about loss of jobs if Standard Life etc pull out. It's quite odd actually. I remember the 1979 devolution debates and it was an absolutely massive issue back then.
    Strange you should say that, as Salmond was bragging on the Andrew Marr show (15th Sept) that Scotland had 100yrs of oil in reserve, not that anyone else was aware of it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im taking my cue on this from former chancellor of the exchequer Alistair Darling:)
    No your taking your cue from a made up quote of a pro independence website.
    Forum Member
    Perhaps the OP would be good enough to give us times and dates of when this was actually said and in its full context. :)

Not sure theres much scope for many contexts were the meaning could be badly misunderstood but If Im proved wrong then I will accept that.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure theres much scope for many contexts were the meaning could be badly misunderstood but If Im proved wrong then I will accept that.:)
    Your citing a quote the context should be yours to prove, as to if he actually said it and when and in what context.

In your OP the quote is cited to Alistair Darling and said to be in Hansard, I have done a Hansard search and found no such quote.
    The closest I can find is on google on pro indepence websites claiming on 29 May 2008, Labour Chancellor Alistair Darling admitted in a back-handed way, that Scotland's oil revenue had been underwriting the UK's failure to balance its books for decades. This on some websites becomes apparantly Alistair Darling said Scotland's oil revenue has been underwriting the UK's failure to balance its books for decades, and finaly becomes a Alistair Darling quote claimed to be off Hansard. It is a made up quote, he never said it.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your citing a quote the context should be yours to prove, as to if he actually said it and when and in what context.

In your OP the quote is cited to Alistair Darling and said to be in Hansard, I have done a Hansard search and found no such quote.
    The closest I can find is on google on pro indepence websites claiming on 29 May 2008, Labour Chancellor Alistair Darling admitted in a back-handed way, that Scotland's oil revenue had been underwriting the UK's failure to balance its books for decades. This on some websites becomes apparantly Alistair Darling said Scotland's oil revenue has been underwriting the UK's failure to balance its books for decades, and finaly becomes a Alistair Darling quote claimed to be off Hansard. It is a made up quote, he never said it.

I've been through the same process you have and assume this was the article you found.

I agree. There is no record of Alistair Darling ever saying this. The entire thing has been made up by the SDP. Which, to my mind, says far more about the SDP than it ever does about Darling.
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    I've been through the same process you have and assume this was the article you found.

I agree. There is no record of Alistair Darling ever saying this. The entire thing has been made up by the SDP. Which, to my mind, says far more about the SDP than it ever does about Darling.

SDP?Long extinct
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SDP?Long extinct

:D Brain freeze...
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    :D Brain freeze...

Happens to the best of us dont worry but I just couldnt resist:):D