OS X Lion Out Tomorrow

Apple has confirmed that OS X Lion will be released tomorrow - Wednesday July 20

http://www.ijsmblog.com/2011/07/its-official-mac-os-x-is-released.html

Comments

• LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh..
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Interesting but I won't be upgrading.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll stick with the GM version (from a couple of weeks ago) for now. It's seems perfectly stable and works fine. I'll get the official download and burn it to a DVD sometime during the summer hols.
  • Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it, no sign on the App store yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam14 wrote: »

It's there, downloading as I type.
  • johnrtaylorjohnrtaylor Posts: 269
    Forum Member

It's out and has been since 13:30 BST. search for Mac OS in the app store and you will see it.
  • chocolate_boychocolate_boy Posts: 2,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's out and has been since 13:30 BST. search for Mac OS in the app store and you will see it.

Or it's the headline feature on the top box as soon as you open the AppStore app. Hard to miss!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DotNetWill wrote: »

That article is from a couple of weeks ago, there will have been changes from the "Gold" or beta versions the reviewer was using.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lion is far better using a trackpad IMHO. Gestures bring up the iPad/ipod like App menu pages, switch between apps/desktops, invoke Mission control etc. etc. Doesn't seem to work as fluidly with a mouse.
  • Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or it's the headline feature on the top box as soon as you open the AppStore app. Hard to miss!

That wasn't there when I looked! :rolleyes:

Think I would have noticed it lol!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That wasn't there when I looked! :rolleyes:

Think I would have noticed it lol!

Lol! Get it installed :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Downloading at the moment, not got the fastest internet connection in the world [shakes fist at Karoo] but it'll get there in the end!

Don't have the money to buy a Magic Mouse or Trackpad at the moment, so a trackpad app on my iPhone for £2.99 will do for now!
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    iainmann wrote: »
    Apple has confirmed that OS X Lion will be released tomorrow - Wednesday July 20

http://www.ijsmblog.com/2011/07/its-official-mac-os-x-is-released.html

What is the official rationale (i.e. justification) for being able to get Lion only via a download?
  • JS477JS477 Posts: 1,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand that if you have more than one Mac then you can load Lion onto your other Macs.

So if I download it onto my iMac and pay for it how do I then download it onto my MBP without paying for it again?

Ta
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    What is the official rationale (i.e. justification) for being able to get Lion only via a download?

They are releasing it on a USB key as well in August.
    Download only is the way all software is going, saves on production costs, warehousing transport etc.
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DotNetWill wrote: »

from that article:

"That could have made a lot of sense for everyone involved. But what Apple did doesn't compute: Launchpad is supposedly the way to access all your apps, but who wants to click once on the dock's Launchpad icon, launch that interface, and then select your app when you can just open the app from the Finder itself? It's an extra click (or two or three). It's added complexity; it's superfluous."

i don't get that - opening up Finder isn't any less hassle than opening Launchpad. and Launchpad has the advantage of displaying all your apps by default, whereas in Finder you'd have to navigate to them.

what i haven't figured out yet is how to rename folders though....

Iain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    JS477 wrote: »
    I understand that if you have more than one Mac then you can load Lion onto your other Macs.

So if I download it onto my iMac and pay for it how do I then download it onto my MBP without paying for it again?

Ta

You go to the App Store on your MBP and re-download it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You go to the App Store on your MBP and re-download it.

Thanks, but what I'm unclear about is how will the App Store know that I've already paid for it and already downloaded it onto my iMac and not charge me for it again?

Thanks
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, but what I'm unclear about is how will the App Store know that I've already paid for it and already downloaded it onto my iMac and not charge me for it again?

Thanks

Don't you have to log on to the apps store?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Don't you have to log on to the apps store?

Presumably yes, so are you saying that by logging onto the Apps Store for a second time the Apps store will know that I've already downloaded it once and allow me to download it agin for free onto my other Mac?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably yes, so are you saying that by logging onto the Apps Store for a second time the Apps store will know that I've already downloaded it once and allow me to download it agin for free onto my other Mac?

Yeah sign in to the App Store with the new Mac. Click the Purchased tab, and Lion will be there ready to re-download. Alternatively you can just burn it on to disk to save re-downloading. (I think you look for a file called installESD.dmg - although not tried that yet on the release version!)

edit: http://holgr.com/blog/2011/02/creating-a-bootable-os-x-10-7-lion-disc/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Yeah sign in to the App Store with the new Mac. Click the Purchased tab, and Lion will be there ready to re-download. Alternatively you can just burn it on to disk to save re-downloading. (I think you look for a file called installESD.dmg - although not tried that yet on the release version!)

edit: http://holgr.com/blog/2011/02/creating-a-bootable-os-x-10-7-lion-disc/

Many thanks.

I'll probably wait for the hoo-ha to die down and for any issues Lion has to be brought to light (as there no doubt will be) before taking the plunge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    from that article:

"That could have made a lot of sense for everyone involved. But what Apple did doesn't compute: Launchpad is supposedly the way to access all your apps, but who wants to click once on the dock's Launchpad icon, launch that interface, and then select your app when you can just open the app from the Finder itself? It's an extra click (or two or three). It's added complexity; it's superfluous."

i don't get that - opening up Finder isn't any less hassle than opening Launchpad. and Launchpad has the advantage of displaying all your apps by default, whereas in Finder you'd have to navigate to them.

what i haven't figured out yet is how to rename folders though....

Iain
    Click the folder so that it opens. The name of the folder is above the app icons. Long click the name text.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The wife grabbed it on my MBP when I was at work, then followed this quide to put it on a USB stick http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-a-bootable-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-installer-from-a-usb-flash-drive/ and then installed that on her iMac, all working nicely :)