Options

Science GCSE

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I wonder if anyone can help me please? My son brought home 3 GCSE results yesterday. His two science results are displayed like this,

AQA GCSE/FC PHY2F Physics
AQA GCSE/B CHY2F Chemistry.

I understand that FC stands for full course, so has he been awarded a GCSE for that course, and Chemistry and Biology are a double award?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has he been given a separate mark for biology? I don't think B stands for double award as different specs of the same subject are sometimes referred to as A and B. I'd check what it says on the AQA website for you but I can't open pdfs on my computer.
  • Options
    Happy_ChappyHappy_Chappy Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The B means specification B, so it's the just the type of exam - I think there's usually a specification A and a specification B.

Is he taking GCSE Science B? It might just be that that is the chemistry unit for science B, but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both of those results are unit results which will be used to go towards a full GCSE result.

I'm not sure why but when AQA send the entry files to schools they assign them a type and for some reason they seem to assign some to full course and some not so it prints out like this on the results sheets, causing some confusion!

I would assume he's doing additional science with those units and the overall grade will be given in the summer under the code: 4463.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I was excited he had already got one exam he needs for his college placement in September.

I wondered if they had sent the results as he had his English exam early as well, and the result for that was on there. They need to send parents on a course to learn what all this means.

He still has the biology exam to sit later in the year. As he has no idea what the results meant, I thought I would ask the good people on here.