Upside Down (2013)

ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I stumbled across this movie online yesterday, and I was amazed! It's visually striking, well acted, and incredibly engaging!

I'm not sure about the UK release details, but it was released in Russia in August, and is due out in the States in March!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R08nlftSHM

It stars Kirsten Dunst and Jim Sturgess!

Comments

• Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picked up the US blu ray of this and watched it a few days ago.

Stunning.

Best film I have seen this year by far, and it's basically unreleased and unknown. At it's heart it's a love story about two identical Earths almost conjoined, but with different gravities on each, and one being almost perfect, affluent, with large cities, wealth and prosperity, and the other almost desolate, dark and poor.

Moving between planets is forbidden, except via a link called Transworld, where a lucky few from below are able to work with those from above. Kirsten Dunst and Jim Sturgess are two people from the opposite worlds who share a forbidden, childhood romance, until an accident causes Dunst to lose her memory, and Sturgess is determined to find a way to exist in the gravity of the other world so he can find her.

It's one of the most visually stunning movies I have ever seen, but without being an over-the-top cgi-fest. The realisation of the two worlds and the different gravities is incredible. OK, maybe the physics of it don't stand up to close scrutiny, but once you get wrapped up in the story it really does not matter. There are elements of Inception in some of the visuals, and it also bears a few similarities to a more recent movie called Another Earth.

Amidst most of this years overblown, tiresome, weary blockbusters this was a complete breath of fresh air.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen this as well and I agree that it was quite brilliant. Just something so refreshingly original for once.