Options

Australia votes AGAINST equality!

Comments

• Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't say I'm surprised. It's a pretty reactionary nation, politically. They ban all sorts of things we take for granted in Europe and the States, and entering the country seems especially difficult if you are Asian or happen to have picked up some free fruit on the plane.

Ummm... banning fruit that hasn't come through proper channels is because they have an enormous fruit industry and don't have many of the crop-damaging pests common elsewhere. It's an entirely sensible rule!

We have virtually the exact same system for preventing rabies entering the UK.
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a shame Australia still won't join the 21st century :(
    Yet so many people insist that Australia is one of the countries which is the bee's knees of the world! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    It doesn't really surprise me. But then the UK has had a fairly long battle to get SSM legalised, so it's not like we're a shining beacon of tolerance.

I suppose the only thing that makes me smile is that Australia likes to sell itself as a "young" and laid back country. Even its national anthem has the lyrics: "Australians let us rejoice, for we are young and free", which gives the impression they're fairly liberal. I'm not sure how free gay or aboriginal people feel.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    Along with the huge majority of countries world wide.
    Only 13 countries so far allow same sex marriage.

I know and I look forward to more and more countries voting for equality and legalising gay marriage
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No different to Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    No different to Northern Ireland.
    Apart from the weather, of course. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Ummm... banning fruit that hasn't come through proper channels is because they have an enormous fruit industry and don't have many of the crop-damaging pests common elsewhere. It's an entirely sensible rule!

We have virtually the exact same system for preventing rabies entering the UK.

Do you mind. I'm having a good old axe grinding session here. :mad:

Reasonable arguments ruining my grudge-holding will cut no ice with me. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mind. I'm having a good old axe grinding session here. :mad:

Reasonable arguments ruining my grudge-holding will cut no ice with me. ;)

Ooops, sorry, carry on.

Those damn Australians! Banning speeding and groping sleeping co-workers!
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Fantastic Nation with the right ideas IMO.

for example its totally secular - something we are not. Therefore all these religious schools dont exist.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    I have always found this strange. Sydney has always been known as "rum and bum".

By who? Google doesnt agree with you
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »

for example its totally secular - something we are not. Therefore all these religious schools dont exist.

Well, government schools. Nearly a third of Australian children go to non-govt schools, of which 90% are religious schools.

And in government schools there is religious instruction bu 'volunteer teachers' from evangelical groups.

http://monash.edu/news/show/religious-instruction-has-no-place-in-our-public-schools

Access Ministries, which provides 90 per cent of all religious instruction in our public schools is unambiguous about its “mission” for volunteer “teachers” who are “fishing for souls”.

When they say, “Every day of the school year, our teachers are sharing God’s love with over 130,000 young Victorians … helping students explore their lives with meaning and purpose” they do not mean that they want to “educate” children. They mean that they want children to believe in the religious doctrines that they do.

Access Ministries defines its role as “converting” children in a “cross cultural mission”, since “without Jesus, our students are lost.”

So I am not sure they have it right over there... not at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yet the Hillsong Church is more powerful in day-to-day politics than anything in the UK, even the bishops in Parliament.

Their fingers are behind this very vote.

(and we might have CoE primary schools..... Australia has hundreds of Catholic *secondary* schools, something that barely exists here. If you're even vaguely well-off, chances are you're going to a Catholic private school)
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member

So you don't believe in equality
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooops, sorry, carry on.

Those damn Australians! Banning speeding and groping sleeping co-workers!

Murdering hitch-hikers!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is there something wrong with your head or something? :eek:
  • Options
    Drunken ScouserDrunken Scouser Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet the Hillsong Church is more powerful in day-to-day politics than anything in the UK, even the bishops in Parliament.

Their fingers are behind this very vote.

(and we might have CoE primary schools..... Australia has hundreds of Catholic *secondary* schools, something that barely exists here. If you're even vaguely well-off, chances are you're going to a Catholic private school)

Something like a third of Australian kids are in fee-paying schools, and the number is growing rapidly, leading to concerns that public education is being slowly turned into just a safety net system for the less affluent half of society.
  • Options
    lucifer samlucifer sam Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There wasn't much in it, but not surprised at that really and I am Australian.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Australia still identifies its self as Christian, and Catholocism is the predominant, so not surprising result.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Australia still identifies its self as Christian, and Catholocism is the predominant, so not surprising result.

It's Christian in the same sense the UK is.... not at all really.

There's a tiny sliver of evangelicalism that exists that's not really a thing here, but it's a tiny sliver (although with a very loud political echo and over representation in politics and, oddly, Australian XFactor)
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Christian in the same sense the UK is.... not at all really.

There's a tiny sliver of evangelicalism that exists that's not really a thing here, but it's a tiny sliver (although with a very loud political echo and over representation in politics and, oddly, Australian XFactor)

I may not consider most of Middle-Britain or Australia 'Christian', but never the less that is how the hypocrites choose to identify themselves.

Laws in Britain and Oz are influenced too much by tradition, which was in turn influenced by religion.

So yeah, you're right that these people aren't particularly Christian, but it's troubling that they still propose and defend laws on the basis of ye-olde religious dogma.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There wasn't much in it, but not surprised at that really and I am Australian.
    Are you proud to be Australian? :cool:
  • Options
    lucifer samlucifer sam Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xp95 wrote: »
    Are you proud to be Australian? :cool:

Yeah, sometimes, sometimes not. I don't live there now though.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I may not consider most of Middle-Britain or Australia 'Christian', but never the less that is how the hypocrites choose to identify themselves.

Laws in Britain and Oz are influenced too much by tradition, which was in turn influenced by religion.

So yeah, you're right that these people aren't particularly Christian, but it's troubling that they still propose and defend laws on the basis of ye-olde religious dogma.

its about time to damp religious laws from the structure books
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, sometimes, sometimes not. I don't live there now though.
    I take it you live here in Britain then? ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard from people that have been there that Australia is rife with the kind casual racism and homophobia that would shock even the most non PC Brit. Sydney is more liberal, but the rest of the country is stuck in some kind of mid 70's time warp.

I don't know, maybe it's because they're so isolated from the rest of the world?:confused:

Having lived there most of my life you are correct.