Do you think Katie Hopkins actually believes what she says?

PfrancisPfrancis Posts: 301
Forum Member
I don't know about you but Katie Hopkins (although comes across passionately) comes across as a bit false.We see it time and time again NO MATTER WHAT THE ISSUE IS she always likes to put herself in the firing line.Its as though she gets off on it and I DO believe its all a performance of the worst kind.

Comments

• brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I've said from the beginning and I still think that she's a giant troll. It gains her fame, money and people can't stop talking about her. What really cemented my view though was this:

Katie: People who name their kids after countries or flowers are lower class
    Holly: but aren't your children name India and Poppy?
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does she believe what she says?
    No, absolutely not. She's a tabloid journalist (i.e. not a real journalist: making impartial and balanced reports of important events - but then again, neither are so are many of the broadsheet journo's) and therefore makes her money (and promotes her own "brand") by being permanently outraged, seeing everything in absolute/black & white terms and having simplistic, sound-bite sized answers for all the world's problems, no matter how little she understands or could explain any of them.

It's only meant to be entertainment - tha shows should contain a version of the "animal cruelty" disclaimer: no real facts were uncovered in the making of this story.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there's often a kernel of truth in what she says the trouble is she's paid to embellishes it to such trollish proportions that she becomes nowt more than a pantomime rent-a-gob.

I do enjoy seeing her so effortlessly push people's buttons though :blush:
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to think she played the part of a panto villain but after reading her interview in Saturday's Guardian I'm now not so sure. I think it may be the real her.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/feb/14/katie-hopkins-interview
  • SlapstickGandhiSlapstickGandhi Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    No. I've said from the beginning and I still think that she's a giant troll. It gains her fame, money and people can't stop talking about her. What really cemented my view though was this:

Did she really say that to someone called Holly? :o How does she avoid getting punched?
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    Does she believe what she says?
    No, absolutely not. She's a tabloid journalist (i.e. not a real journalist: making impartial and balanced reports of important events - but then again, neither are so are many of the broadsheet journo's) and therefore makes her money (and promotes her own "brand") by being permanently outraged, seeing everything in absolute/black & white terms and having simplistic, sound-bite sized answers for all the world's problems, no matter how little she understands or could explain any of them.

It's only meant to be entertainment - tha shows should contain a version of the "animal cruelty" disclaimer: no real facts were uncovered in the making of this story.

Surely she is the female version of Nick Ferrari or should I perhaps say Ferrari is not quite as bad?
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She`s Channel Five`s go-to gobshite. If people would just start laughing at her act instead of being outraged by her nonsense she`d die from lack of attention (and appearance fees!).
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all.

She's cultivated an image of being an outspoken battleaxe & as that keeps her in the news & on out TVs, she'll say anything for publicity.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did she really say that to someone called Holly? :o How does she avoid getting punched?

Yup! here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIJ4zTe-eDU
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeez, why does an intelligent, erudite , strong willed female frighten the Lefty hand wringers so much ?

Should she stay at home, be a baby machine, wear a Burka ?
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    She`s Channel Five`s go-to gobshite. If people would just start laughing at her act instead of being outraged by her nonsense she`d die from lack of attention (and appearance fees!).

Spot on.

I don't understand why anyone takes her seriously.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeez, why does an intelligent, erudite , strong willed female frighten the Lefty hand wringers so much ?

That would be an improvement. :D

As far as baby-making goes, she's already got 3 kids by 2 different dads, I think that's why she's so full of self-loathing.

Stay at home? Nah, I wouldn't wish that on her poor children.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »

I think KH's reply to that was that 'India wasn't a place'. Lol, there's no way anyone can take what comes out of her pie-hole seriously.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    I used to think she played the part of a panto villain but after reading her interview in Saturday's Guardian I'm now not so sure. I think it may be the real her.

She has to keep up the pretence at all times. Any slips and even the great unwashed would be able to see behind the mask. Watch closely though when she thinks she`s off-camera in the repeat tonight or tomorrow and you`ll catch her smirking on a couple of occasions as she congratulates herself on pulling it off again.

What`s the point in having Zissman on if she doesn`t get her mancatchers out? Couldn`t C5 have sprung for an extra tenner so we could`ve had some jiggle to go along with the shouty shouty?
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is her right wing supporters that frighten me and treat her as a heroine. She has made it clear she doesn't like spending time with her children. She isn't intelligent. True intelligence requires empathy, she has none. The only emotion she expresses in glee at mocking other women. She should keep speaking out because she will go too far and become untouchable. ITV won't touch her already.
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Give her enough rope .......
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For someone who gives the impression that they don't give a damn about other peoples' opinions, KH seems desperately needy for publicity and attention. Any kind being better than none.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    She tries too hard to be divisive.
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    She spotted a gap in the market and decided that she could fill it.

Some of the stuff she bangs on about she probably believes, but nowhere near all of it.

TV and newspapers are very easily swayed into giving people like Katie attention. Despite the obvious fact that it is just an act.

She's full of it!
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not only does she believe it, a lot of you believe it too.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Pfrancis wrote: »
    I don't know about you but Katie Hopkins (although comes across passionately) comes across as a bit false.We see it time and time again NO MATTER WHAT THE ISSUE IS she always likes to put herself in the firing line.Its as though she gets off on it and I DO believe its all a performance of the worst kind.

She is just a nasty troll
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is just a nasty troll

Trolls don`t get paid. It`s a job to her and that`s all. She wouldn`t be there if she wasn`t picking up a paycheck.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether she believes what she's saying or not, one hell of a lot of people would agree with what she did manage to say and needed to be said (lefty barracking aside) fair play to her for saying it. A brave lady...
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    Whether she believes what she's saying or not, one hell of a lot of people would agree with what she did manage to say and needed to be said (lefty barracking aside) fair play to her for saying it. A brave lady...

Yes, she has the support of UKIP, EDL, BNP and the thread on this forum is revolting, with the people that agree with her. It does show that UKIP is BNP lite, with a vaguely more acceptable face.

As someone with many friends how are immigrants, I find the clear hatred disturbing. I do think that Muslim extremists need to be controlled as they are a genuine threat but they do not represent the Muslims that I grew up with or the one at the local chemist.
    And they are not representive of all immigrants. I actually find it unlikely that Katie Hopkins has too many friends. She isn't someone you could trust with your husband and she doesn't like your children, unless they have an approved of name.

If she doesn't believe what she is saying, she is a sociopath and has not ability to really see the affects of her words. She thinks she is right. She is not brave because she has no comprehension of fear.
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    OK, so I'm gonna stick my neck out here and wait for the shouts when I say that I SOMETIMES think that she is only tactlessly voicing what some of us would be too polite to say. Perhaps we might THINK similarly to her but are much more careful not to offend people or even sound like snobs. Perhaps I could be a snob as I must admit (only to myself until now) that if I was to hear the names, Chardonnay, Ethan, Kylie, Chelsea, Tristram, Quentin, Darren and Rupert I think I would sub-consciously decide what 'class' they belonged to, without meaning to!!:D