Options

Fiio X5

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
I have ordered one (along with 2 64gb micro SD cards) and it is one the way. Looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Anyone else got one or is getting one? How do you find it? The specs look good to me so I am expecting good things.

Comments

• Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    I have the Fiio X3 and was looking at the X5 as an upgrade however the iBasso DX-90 is getting some really positive reviews. I'm undecided...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was the dual micro SD card support up to 128gb (with plans to go up to over 1000gb with firmware updates) that clinched it for me.

My X5 arrived in the post today but I haven't been able to do anything with it yet as it arrived just as I was leaving for work.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    It was the dual micro SD card support up to 128gb (with plans to go up to over 1000gb with firmware updates) that clinched it for me.

My X5 arrived in the post today but I haven't been able to do anything with it yet as it arrived just as I was leaving for work.

Have you had a chance to try it yet? I'm interested in your impressions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have got all my music on and been using it all weekend along with my AKG K451s.

I love that there is no onboard hard drive to go wrong as all your music will be on micro SD cards. Putting music on it was a breeze, so nice to use a good player that does not need 3rd party software to add music to it. You just drag and drop making it usable on any platform. Even firmware updates will not need software.

Sound wise, no complaints. There is a noticeable jump in quality from my iPod classic and that is even with my humble hearing.

All in all, I have no complaints with the player so far.
  • Options
    TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My iPod packed in the other day after many years faithful service and I'm thinking of replacing it with this.
    I've had the 160gb iPod and like the fact that there's so much storage on this and the prospect of increased storage in the future.
    How is it to use?
    I like the fact that the iPod has playlists and keeps everything neat and tidy, slightly obsessive about albums and artwork being organised properly, is this similar?
    It's not the sort of thing you can pop into town to have a try and £300 is a fair outlay to find its a bit meh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    My iPod packed in the other day after many years faithful service and I'm thinking of replacing it with this.
    I've had the 160gb iPod and like the fact that there's so much storage on this and the prospect of increased storage in the future.
    How is it to use?
    I like the fact that the iPod has playlists and keeps everything neat and tidy, slightly obsessive about albums and artwork being organised properly, is this similar?
    It's not the sort of thing you can pop into town to have a try and £300 is a fair outlay to find its a bit meh.

You won't be able to create playlists and, as it is drag/drop onto micro SD cards, organisation is down to your folder structure rather than tags. The interface is quite intuitive though and the fact that you don't need any software to use it is a big plus. I feels solidly made too.
  • Options
    TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You won't be able to create playlists and, as it is drag/drop onto micro SD cards, organisation is down to your folder structure rather than tags. The interface is quite intuitive though and the fact that you don't need any software to use it is a big plus. I feels solidly made too.

Cheers for that.
    Boo! To the no playlists. That's a dealbreaker!

All my stuff has been loaded onto my laptop from CD's using iTunes so it's organised. But that lack of Playlists is a huge huge drawback. I have everything set by decade on the pod, and have playlists that I set up for walking the dogs. Boo!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fiio have issued the firmware upgrade that means the X5 now supports a capacity of 256gb (2x128gb micro SD cards). Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D