Paying a supermarket cashier with the exact money.

Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
Forum Member
✭✭
Sorry, this is a bit mundane but I was just wondering if anyone has the same experience.

I went in today and bought one thing, it was 2.99 and I was getting rid of the shrapnel in my pocket so I gave the exact amount in change (not all pennies and 5p's) but smaller than pound coins. I wasn't worried about the receipt and tried to walk away but felt absolutely compelled to stay there and wait for the cashier to count it out, even thought I knew it was all correct, and say 'thank you' in a sort of 'you may go' way :D:D

Does anyone else feel they have to stay until they get the all clear from the cashier?

Comments

• KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends what shop, sometimes you have to wait for your receipt.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Sorry, this is a bit mundane but I was just wondering if anyone has the same experience.

I went in today and bought one thing, it was 2.99 and I was getting rid of the shrapnel in my pocket so I gave the exact amount in change (not all pennies and 5p's) but smaller than pound coins. I wasn't worried about the receipt and tried to walk away but felt absolutely compelled to stay there and wait for the cashier to count it out, even thought I knew it was all correct, and say 'thank you' in a sort of 'you may go' way :D:D

Does anyone else feel they have to stay until they get the all clear from the cashier?

I do the same if I have loads of small coins knocking around, and I do stay until the cashier has ascertained it is the right change. But I do it to save her or him any embarrassment in case I have made a mistake. I don't feel there is any element of being allowed to leave.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Well, yes. Just in case I've made a mistake.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can understand the 'mistake wait' but when you've been waiting in a queue, I don't know about you, but I tend to check and recheck my tender before I hand it over. I don't always want the receipt and I know its all present and correct but still feel compelled to stay.

It just occurred to me today as I was waiting, it was like some invisible force stopping me from leaving, I was mildly amused at my situation. Maybe its just the British reserve in me! :D
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel exactly the same OP. And also, even though I've counted out the money several times in my hand, I always say "I think that's the right amount", even though I know for sure it is.
    Forum Member
    Can understand the 'mistake wait' but when you've been waiting in a queue, I don't know about you, but I tend to check and recheck my tender before I hand it over. I don't always want the receipt and I know its all present and correct but still feel compelled to stay.

It just occurred to me today as I was waiting, it was like some invisible force stopping me from leaving, I was mildly amused at my situation. Maybe its just the British reserve in me! :D
    In that case, no, I can't say I do. :)
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    It's just one of life's dilemmas. I always wait, it just seems the thing to do.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not strictly in line with the premise of the thread, but on the subject of tendering change in a supermarket, I once got a fair amount of merchandise in a Winn-Dixie supermarket in Montgomery, Al.
    The total came to something like $95.40.
    I gave the girl two fifty dollar bills, put my hand in my pocket, and put down three dimes, and two nickels, (40c)
    She looked at me a bit confused, and said, "You've given me too much, sir, that's $100.40"
    I said, "Yes, you take that and give me a five dollar bill, and everyone is happy."
    She still couldn't see it, and called over a supervisor, while the muttering in the queue behind me looked like turning into a riot.
    The supervisor didn't get it either, he picked up the forty cents, gave them to me, and said to the girl, "Give the gentleman $4.60."
    You can only try to help, I did my best.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not strictly in line with the premise of the thread, but on the subject of tendering change in a supermarket, I once got a fair amount of merchandise in a Winn-Dixie supermarket in Montgomery, Al.
    I gave the girl two fifty dollar bills, put my hand in my pocket, and put down three dimes, and two nickels, (40c)
    She looked at me a bit confused, and said, "You've given me too much, sir, that's $100.40"
    I said, "Yes, you take that and give me a five dollar bill, and everyone is happy."
    She still couldn't see it, and called over a supervisor, while the muttering in the queue behind me looked like turning into a riot.
    The supervisor didn't get it either, he picked up the forty cents, gave them to me, and said to the girl, "Give the gentleman $4.60."

HAHA That must just be a British thing then. :D
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I always wait for a receipt.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    yes every time.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure about the supermarket, but we often pay in shrapnel at the corner shop. They like it, keeps their float topped up.
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember doing this once, can't remember exact figures, but I remember it meant that I should have got a £5 note back. The young lad on the till was absolutely baffled. He asked his boss who just mumbled give him a fiver. The poor lad did as he was told but you could tell by the look on his face he hadn't a clue what was going on.
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member

I've stopped doing this unless served by an older person or someone who I know understands. It is too much hassle giving a basic maths lesson when you are shopping.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Not sure about the supermarket, but we often pay in shrapnel at the corner shop. They like it, keeps their float topped up.

Same here, actually. The corner shop is an ideal place to rid yourself of burdensome coppers.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    There's an old Peter Kay joke in there somewhere.

You goto the counter with your items and the cashier says "that'll be £9.40 please" and you say "do you want the 40?"

The cashier looks at you funny and say "yes, ofcourse I bloddy want the 40" :D

Basically you offering the 40p to give the exact amount instead of a 50p or a £10 note

That said, i'm not sure of the last time I payed in cash for something when shopping.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The funny thing is that these days everyone uses electronic tills so it doesn't matter what you hand them so long as they type it in correctly it'll tell the cashier how much change to give but peoples minds get blown when you start doing stuff thats not normal
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    The funny thing is that these days everyone uses electronic tills so it doesn't matter what you hand them so long as they type it in correctly it'll tell the cashier how much change to give but peoples minds get blown when you start doing stuff thats not normal
    And if they have a power cut or the "system has gone down" they can't do any business. You can't even go in and buy a paper because "The tills aren't working".
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

Yes, because the cashier would probably want you to wait until they've made sure it's the right amount.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got stuck behind someone paying about £5 using only 2p pieces ! A weighing machine would have been useful.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Same here, actually. The corner shop is an ideal place to rid yourself of burdensome coppers.

Yeah they are glad of the change round my local shops..I am still getting stick off Chaz for daring to buy a packet of chewing gum with a tenner, then asking for pound coins and an assortment in changef or the bus fare..it was and at 8am..was for a good cause as I was going to a job interview though so he gave me my change as asked which was great, good guy.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unless it is very obviously the exact amount - like exactly £1.00, I normally stop for a few seconds in case I've made a mistake.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But what if, the unusual British heat today resulted in you mis counting and you were 10p short and had made it out of the shop, no receipt, goods in the bag? Dodgy ground, wrestled to the floor by the security guards, in the back room as quick as you like.

I would just wait if it were me.
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    I never pay with exact change
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never pay with exact change

Not even if its £10 exactly? Do you give them £10 and 20p?