2»

Comments

• Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Will Smith will save us.

Or Antonio Banderas...

Check out this new trailer for "Automata" which is based I think on the same book about robots and the laws of robotics as "I, robot" but looks much cooler...

https://movies.yahoo.com/news/robots-revolt-antonio-banderas-first-trailer-automata-video-200300227.html;_ylt=A9mSs3KSkvdTbGcAh0.A3YlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTBydWpobjZlBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2lyMgR2dGlkAw--
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    In a world where nobody'd ever written a book or made a movie about robots wiping out the human race or doing bad things, this'd really be an eye-opener.

Here, not so much.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    In a world where nobody'd ever written a book or made a movie about robots wiping out the human race or doing bad things, this'd really be an eye-opener.

Here, not so much.

It's always been a popular theme in science fiction going right back to the 1950s and 1960s, but here we have some scientists saying it could theoretically happen in real life ie. that robots or computers could become intelligent or be independent 'thinkers' and start to cause havoc.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    It's always been a popular theme in science fiction going right back to the 1950s and 1960s, but here we have some scientists saying it could theoretically happen in real life ie. that robots or computers could become intelligent or be independent 'thinkers' and start to cause havoc.

A lot of science fiction is based on what scientists speculate could theoretically happen in real life.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Yeah. I mean, they've got the whole internet to dick about on. Some of them probably troll this place.

It might also explain why Helen won Big Brother. I never could believe that it was humans voting for her.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thing is there have been scientists saying this for years too. Have a look for "technological Singularity". If you feel paranoid, take note of the fact that one of the foremost writers on the subject, Ray Kurzweil, was recently made a director of engineering at Google.

It's really not a new thing.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    They can indeed ie. kill us in a one on one situation but we have the intelligence and the technology to keep them under control, which is why we are effectively ruling the planet, not them

Yup ... that's why I said I agreed with the gist of it ... that a truly intelligent machine could have the capacity to kill.

The comment about robots being "taught about the value of human life" is an interesting one. On the face of it, that's fine, but a truly intelligent machine could simply choose to ignore what it had been taught!
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I suppose, if an Artificial Intelligence did arise and decide to wipe us out, that AI would be doing the planet a world of good (provided the means of execution wasn't too catastrophic) cause lord knows, we're ****ing up this planet and it's wildlife, and even, each other.

Our demise (as a species) might be what this planet needs; there's a pessimistic view for all. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterdays news
    :confused: