Redknapp threatens media boycott

Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
Forum Member
✭✭
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/9145368.stm

I have sympathy with him. If you're going to 'force' managers in front of the cameras just after the game's finished, stick a microphone under their noses and expect them to answer questions then if they say something the authorities don't like such as calling the referee useless...then that's just tough.

As long as they don't imply or insinuate underhand tactics or collusion, I don't see the problem.

I think this idea of managers being hauled in front of committees and disciplinary panels if they say the referee made a pigs hear of a decision should be long gone by now.

Comments

• Season 74Season 74 Posts: 7,032
    Forum Member
    Personally i think he has more than just a good point. Was coming on here myself to start this very thread.
  • cheekscheeks Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly but the media has treated Harry well over the years.

He's managed to cultivate a cheerful, cheeky chappy image with their help......

As for Clattenburg, he needs to stop worrying about his hairpiece and concentrate on his refereeing which is poor at the best of times.....
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be a pleasure not to have to hear him spouting his shite.
    If he could extend the ban to members of his family and his pal Fat Sam then that would be just perfect.
  • Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh God please let tis be true!

If I don't have to see his crooked, twtichy face on TV again then all the better. He's the only man in the game who gets away with tapping people up live on TV.

Shut it Harry....please shut it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    It would be a pleasure not to have to hear him spouting his shite.
    If he could extend the ban to members of his family and his pal Fat Sam then that would be just perfect.
    Fat Sam is a footballing mastermind.....:p

Bolton are still thriving on his legacy, playing the beautiful game.......:D
  • Davey84Davey84 Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member
    cheeks wrote: »
    Possibly but the media has treated Harry well over the years.

He's managed to cultivate a cheerful, cheeky chappy image with their help......

As for Clattenburg, he needs to stop worrying about his hairpiece and concentrate on his refereeing which is poor at the best of times.....

what did clattenburg do wrong apart from failing to give united a clear penalty?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh God please let tis be true!

If I don't have to see his crooked, twtichy face on TV again then all the better. He's the only man in the game who gets away with tapping people up live on TV.

Shut it Harry....please shut it.

He only ever says that he hasn't spoken to a player but if he's available he'd like to buy him...:p

What's wrong with that ?.....:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davey84 wrote: »
    what did clattenburg do wrong apart from failing to give united a clear penalty?
    cheated West Ham out of a win two weeks ago, he's a shite ref.....
  • Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cheeks wrote: »
    He only ever says that he hasn't spoken to a player but if he's available he'd like to buy him...:p

What's wrong with that ?.....:D

Silly me...I keep forgetting that it is perfectly fine for Dodgy 'Arry! :)
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anything, referrees are the ones who should have the mikes shoved up their noses when they come off the pitch. If the managers can be asked for instance, if they thought it was a penalty, why shouldn't the refs be asked why they gave it?
  • bling crosbybling crosby Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i just hope we wont keep hearing about him being the next england manager....and questioning him after every england flop game like

hes the guy to make it all right !!

:rolleyes:
  • bling crosbybling crosby Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wow ..my post is in front of pants yet posted after ..:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bet you he wasn't complaining when they effectively payed for Van der Vaart for him
  • rufnek2k6rufnek2k6 Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is referees are just not held accountable for their actions. I'm appreciate the fact that they are only human, and humans make mistakes, but they could at least have the respect for the teams and apologise when they make mistakes rather than hide behind the board and create disciplinaries whenever the managers offer their opinion.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    There is far too much cloak and dagger involved in this. Harry is right, he should 100% be allowed to say that the ref has had a shocker. Its his opinion. As long as he isnt saying anything suggesting cheating or corruption i dont see the problem.

I also thing the refs report should be placed in the public domain 24 hours after a game. This would allow everyone to be a bit more transparent about things.

We want respect for refs and we want to cut out players cheating and make managers accountable yet they are all treated like small children.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the only time you'll hear me say this but I agree with Redknapp. Of course managers are going to say things in the heat of a moment when having mikes shoved up their noses after games. Fining them for doing so is ridiculous. It would be great to hear the officials explain themselves though as it's far too easy for them to dissapear into the background.....
  • Phil SPhil S Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Redknapp threatens media blackout" Hooray!

Can that be extended to his family in those cringeworthy TV ads please.
  • Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil S wrote: »
    "Redknapp threatens media blackout" Hooray!

Can that be extended to his family in those cringeworthy TV ads please.

How are his family cringe worthy?

Or is this just one of those 'I know who they are so I can be pointlessly vile about them' things?
  • Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The issue I'd have about the publication of referee's reports is that they'll come under unworkable scrutiny as a result.

Could you imagine how much of a field day Andy Gray and Sky would have over that?

Every time a referee admits that he may have got a judgement call wrong in his report...

"Here's a clip of a similar incident back in April....and again in January of 2009....now this week he makes this decision again...."

..next time the referee makes another decision like that his judgement will be immediately called into question. Aware of previous public knowledge of his errors of the past will almost unquestionably place undue influence upon his judgement.

I certainly don't think it'd be helpful to the game and the state of officiating in the top division if each week an official takes to the field with everyone knowing in detail the mistakes he made the week before. Players will know too and a week after admitting that perhaps his decision to give a penalty was wrong in hindsight, if he gives one again the next week they'll surround him, reminding him of his previous error of judgement.
  • Phil SPhil S Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are his family cringe worthy?

Or is this just one of those 'I know who they are so I can be pointlessly vile about them' things?

Where did I call his family cringeworthy, I called the TV ads cringeworthy.

But come to think of it they are just as cringeworthy! Yuk!
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So will he announce his media blackout in his Sun column, or his slot on talksport? :D
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    The issue I'd have about the publication of referee's reports is that they'll come under unworkable scrutiny as a result.

Could you imagine how much of a field day Andy Gray and Sky would have over that?

Every time a referee admits that he may have got a judgement call wrong in his report...

"Here's a clip of a similar incident back in April....and again in January of 2009....now this week he makes this decision again...."

..next time the referee makes another decision like that his judgement will be immediately called into question. Aware of previous public knowledge of his errors of the past will almost unquestionably place undue influence upon his judgement.

I certainly don't think it'd be helpful to the game and the state of officiating in the top division if each week an official takes to the field with everyone knowing in detail the mistakes he made the week before. Players will know too and a week after admitting that perhaps his decision to give a penalty was wrong in hindsight, if he gives one again the next week they'll surround him, reminding him of his previous error of judgement.

The thing is, the mistakes are happening regardless of whether we read the refs report or not.

I dont think it should be an issue. There is already a huge amount of time spent discussing the "whys?2 of refereeing decisions.

I also dont think 90% of fans really care about mistakes, most accept they will happen and go for or against their team. The problem comes when there is a lack of understanding as to WHY decisions are given. Id very much like for refs to speak to the media but its a very dubious area as to how and what they can communicate the othe outside world. I can also understand why they wouldnt want to face tv cameras immediately after a game.

No matter what reports are read, or statements are made by the referees it doesnt change whether a ref is good or bad. Its almost as if the FA and PL are going on the theory that if we dont talk about it, it didnt happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, refs going pro was meant to make them better....

It hasn't, it just means that they're richer than they were before and in the case of Graham Poll, Uriah Rennie etc, think that they are celebs and the crowd comes to watch them.....