Failed by the NHS - BBC Three

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is anyone watching this?

It seems to be taking the stance that everyone should be wrapped in cotton wall by the NHS.

Some people needed to help themselves a bit more.

Comments

• ms2608ms2608 Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't always that simple when you find yourself at rock bottom. The problem is, that as you're on the way down you don't realise what's happening, and by the time you do, you aren't able to deal with it.
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, I find your first post quite judgemental. It can be so hard to keep fighting and begging for help, especially when you're at rock bottom, feeling very low or in a crisis. Even when people do, they are often promised a bunch of things that never happen or are turned away because the team feel you don't need help. There are many reasons/obstacles that these people place and the government isn't helping the situation. Especially with those who ARE good at their jobs and don't let people be turned away.

I found this hard to watch as I've also struggled to get help from the NHS with my mental health issues. I was one of those who slipepd through the net like that girl stuck between CHAMS & Adult services. It can be very difficult once you turn 17 to get help because you're in between and usually begin the process of being transferred to adult services.
  • potpourripotpourri Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    It's very hard if you don't have a supportive family that can advocate for you and get you help.

There needs to be more focus on 'prevention not cure'. It shouldn't take a person to attempt suicide or a serious incident for someone to get help for them.

Also, I've had some pretty horrendous experiences with psychiatrists, who treated me like a chemical problem rather than a human being. I've been spoken to appallingly on several occasions, and it's hard to stand up for yourself when it's just 1 on 1 in a room and you're not mentally well.

The Finnish system is excellent where they involve the whole family and people around them and build up a good support system for them. And their recovery rate is much better than ours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Potpourri, I agree or even some supportive friends. My eldest sister attempted to support me by trying to help me get some help after an OD. However she didn't try very long I must admit. She got an appointment and came to that. He agreed to refer me on for another MH assessment at our MH clinic further up the road. Came to the assessment where they seemed to agree something was wrong (and then said no) but still offered CBT. However that fell through as I couldn't make the call within the time limit and I couldn't face being re-assessed. Anyway after that assessment, her support ended there other than constantly asking if I'd made the call :rolleyes: Knowing full well it's hard to be motivated when you're depressed (she's got depression herself) and my hearing problems. Ugh. My family say they're supportive but when I let them in about depression/anxiety (ie not a known situation causing it), they just don't seem to want to help :( I remember writing emails etc to my sisters, they got ignored. Meh. I wrote a 11 page letter to my Mum in 2009 spilling my heart out and I can't really complain about her because although she's been difficult at times, she did want to help me then. But I chose to let my sister come with me. But knowing I have her there can be so much of a comfort sometimes. When my Dad & his partner finally found out my problems, to be begin with, they were great & I'd even text them stuff and she'd be trying to help. Then they asked me to see a doc (and come) but I refused and eventually they gave up :o So yeah it's hard for me. I don't think my family understand very well :(

I agree there needs to be way more focus on prevention, people shouldn't have to reach crisis/suicidal stage before being given immediate help etc. It's so wrong :(

I'm so sorry you got treated like that by psychiatrists. All of the ones I saw seemed to hate me except one and then she ended up pushing me away too after making me believe we could work together :cry: After her doing that I swore I'd never step inside there again (only have once more since then) and would sort things out myself.

Wow the Finnish system sounds great :(
  • potpourripotpourri Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Have you considered Mental Health Advocacy? Meeting an advocate has been life changing for me.

They'd be able to help you know what your rights are and accompany you to any meetings you may have anxiety about.

I've started to look outside the NHS for help groups. Maybe you could look for groups in your area?

It seems that the Finnish system is about educating friends and family about the condition, which doesn't happen here at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    potpourri wrote: »
    Have you considered Mental Health Advocacy? Meeting an advocate has been life changing for me.

They'd be able to help you know what your rights are and accompany you to any meetings you may have anxiety about.

I've started to look outside the NHS for help groups. Maybe you could look for groups in your area?

It seems that the Finnish system is about educating friends and family about the condition, which doesn't happen here at all.
    I probably did think about it for a while. Glad yours has been a life changing experience :) I even considered MIND for a while but seems they have big waiting lists too.

In the end I gave up hope of anyone being able to help me and bit by bit I got myself better. I'll always have my mental illnesses but I pray they will never get as bad as it was. Fingers crossed. Sometimes I do half wish I had that support to fall back on when I'm having a rough time because a few major events have happened over the last few months which have ended up making me unwell but hmm.