Options

Santander 123 Current Account - Interest

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone have one of these accounts? I take it the interest for balances between £1000 and £20,000 is paid yearly? and not monthly?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently its paid monthly, This seems too good to be true, if you put say £10,000 in to the account (not that I have that at the moment), you would be paid £300 per month? I think I am missing something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    tothegrand wrote: »
    Apparently its paid monthly, This seems too good to be true, if you put say £10,000 in to the account (not that I have that at the moment), you would be paid £300 per month? I think I am missing something.

Probably the APR.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interest rate is an annual rate therefore it is £300 per year not per month
  • Options
    ParkerParker Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The interest rate is per year, but you can get paid monthly (so a 12th of the annual total approx). You don't get £300 every month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that was the case, no way I thought a bank is giving me £300 a month lol.

thanks for the info.

Still would be a decent amount per month more that any savings account which is not tied to a set period.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a £2 a month account fee.But if you have a high monthly balance you can get a good return.Especially on balances of £3k-£20k(3%).Instant access/cashcard too.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interest paid monthly and you have to have at least 2 DDs set up and pay in £500 a month. Although there is a £2 monthly fee, if you set up your Council Tax and Utilities, they more than cover the fee.
    There is no interest payable on balances over 20k.
    It's a reasonable deal in the current climate and you can have more than one account, though it might be hard to pay £500 into that each month and set up 2DDs in addition to account 1.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    £10,000 at 3% would only give you £25 per month.

But you don't get any interest on the first £1,000.

You get 1% interest on the £1,000 between £1,000 and £2,000, which is £0.83

You get 2% on the £1,000 between £2,000 and £3,000, which is £1.67.

You get 3% on the remaining £7,000, which is £17.50 per month.

You get taxed at 20% on the £20 gross interest

That brings it down to £16 interest per month.

Take off the £2 fee and you are only getting £14 per month for your £10,000.

And you need to fund it with £500 each and every month and have two DDs.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    AFAIK It is in effect the highest instant access savings account at the moment as well as being a current account of course. There is a charge of £2 per month and the 3% is only on amounts between £3 and £20K but plus the cashback deals should cover that for most people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    Take off the £2 fee and you are only getting £14 per month for your £10,000.
    You also need to add on the cash back from the DDs (1% to 3%) depending on the type of DD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    You also need to add on the cash back from the DDs (1% to 3%) depending on the type of DD.
    I used their calculator and my DD cashback would only amount to £14 per year.

Scottish Power aren't on their energy supplier cashback list.
  • Options
    That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    £10,000 at 3% would only give you £25 per month.

But you don't get any interest on the first £1,000.

You get 1% interest on the £1,000 between £1,000 and £2,000, which is £0.83

You get 2% on the £1,000 between £2,000 and £3,000, which is £1.67.

You get 3% on the remaining £7,000, which is £17.50 per month.
    Just to clarify, that's not the case.

If your balance is over £1000 and under £2000 you get 1% on the whole amount.

If your balance is between £2000 and £3000 you get 2% on the WHOLE balance.

If your balance is between £3000 and £20000 the you get 3% on the WHOLE balance.

If you have over £20000 then you will receive 3% on the first £20000 and nothing on the balance above that level.

As has been said, you do have to have a couple of direct debits and there is a fee, but that's likely to be offset by the cashback.

If you want multiple accounts (I believe you're allowed 2 per person based on what I read on MSE a while ago) but going to struggle with the £500 per month per account, just set up a standing order from one to the other and back again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used their calculator and my DD cashback would only amount to £14 per year.

Scottish Power aren't on their energy supplier cashback list.
    Ok, I guess it doesn't work for you. Though your posting didn't suggest you were referring to yourself.
    btw once you get above £1000, you do get interest on the whole balance. "Interest rates will apply on the first £20,000 of your entire balance once you have at least £1,000 in your account."
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That looks pretty damn good, considering my Mum's Nationwide ISA is a measly 2% this year. The interest on my current accounts don't even amount to pennies. Bit of a pain living in a mobile home, we pay our rent electricity and water to the park home. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That Bloke wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying that.

It's not very clear from their website.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £14 pm = £168 a year.

£10,000 in a cash ISA (one just before a tax year ends, the other at the start of the next one, for example) at 2% will pay you £200 pa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am quite worried about putting all my savings into a current account, as someone could clone my card or similar and take all the money in one go.

But its a very good deal.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am quite worried about putting all my savings into a current account, as someone could clone my card or similar and take all the money in one go.

I've recently put my savings into two current accounts with Santander. It seems like the best deal at the moment. Only did it a few weeks ago, but the process was very simple and went smoothly. So far so good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are daily limits on cash withdrawals and you don't have to use a card if you treat it as a savings account.
    To transfer money online requires validation of any new payee. They even rang me up when they noted my mobile was on a new network when I tried to confirm a new payee.
  • Options
    dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got 3 accounts and they work well, I get the max interest on one as I don't pay tax, on the second we pay tax on half the interest and the third is totally taxed, I have money going into two of them and take money from one, transfer to a different bank and straight back into the third account, plus the dd's set up on all three. It's great to watch the interest roll in each month and I think you'll find you get the max interest on all the account balance, I certainly do.
    Dave
  • Options
    weirlandia4evaweirlandia4eva Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one of these accounts in a joint account with my hubby and I would highly recommend it.
    For example last month my balance was approximately £13500 and I have 7 direct debits coming out (council, water, utilities, tv and phone. the interest paid was £31.31 (hubby is a non tax payer) and the DD cashback was £6.72 minus the £2 fee. so the account earned me £36. 03 in a month :)
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    That Bloke wrote: »

If your balance is over £1000 and under £2000 you get 1% on the whole amount.

If your balance is between £2000 and £3000 you get 2% on the WHOLE balance.

If your balance is between £3000 and £20000 the you get 3% on the WHOLE balance.

If you have over £20000 then you will receive 3% on the first £20000 and nothing on the balance above that level.

As has been said, you do have to have a couple of direct debits and there is a fee, but that's likely to be offset by the cashback.

If you want multiple accounts (I believe you're allowed 2 per person based on what I read on MSE a while ago) but going to struggle with the £500 per month per account, just set up a standing order from one to the other and back again.

OH and I have a joint 123 account and today set up another one each - I distinctly remember the staff member saying that the £500 has to come from a non Santander account, presumably to prevent what you've just suggested.

We used the current account switching service last month and was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly it went.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My savings are in premium bonds at the moment, do I take them out of there for the yearly interest, I doubt I will win more on them than the interest I will get.

thanks everyone for the info.
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member

You can set up reminders and Santander will text/email you to say money has been withdrawn or text/email if a large payments has come out your account. I switched 18 months ago and I have been very happy with all the service I have received.

edit : the only thing that annoys me is you can only pay-in 5 bags of coins.