Options

Job Offer , attendance allowance?

BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My OH has just been offered the job he went for a couple of weeks ago.

In the offer it gives his salary amount and says this includes 20% attendance allowance. Just wondered what this was exactly?

Comments

• Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BinCat wrote: »
    My OH has just been offered the job he went for a couple of weeks ago.

In the offer it gives his salary amount and says this includes 20% attendance allowance. Just wondered what this was exactly?

Congrats to your OH! :)

I've tried searching for the 20% AA but all I'm getting, for several pages of results, is the benefits one for older people. How annoying.

However, I'm assuming (only assuming) it means part of his salary includes a bonus for attending? That's very odd to me, but surely someone else will be along to help.

Would your OH be able to give the new HR a call on Monday, just to clear it up? Or is there any nice HR person he's currently working with who he can ask?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    Congrats to your OH! :)

I've tried searching for the 20% AA but all I'm getting, for several pages of results, is the benefits one for older people. How annoying.

However, I'm assuming (only assuming) it means part of his salary includes a bonus for attending? That's very odd to me, but surely someone else will be along to help.

Would your OH be able to give the new HR a call on Monday, just to clear it up? Or is there any nice HR person he's currently working with who he can ask?

lol, i know that's why I ended up asking on here, after going through hundreds of results all about carers allowances:)

He really should ring them (although BH Monday) butI'm pretty sure he'll accept it anyway, he said it doesn't matter what it is. I'm just quite curious. It couldn't be he's expected to do 20% extra than his 40 hours and that's included in the salary? Don't think they could do that, could they?
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will more than likely be an allowance for good attendance. Failure to maintain an acceptable attendance record will result in the amount being lost.

If that's the case then he definitely needs to speak to the employer to understand the expectations. In fact, it really should be laid out in the offer of employment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    It will more than likely be an allowance for good attendance. Failure to maintain an acceptable attendance record will result in the amount being lost.

If that's the case then he definitely needs to speak to the employer to understand the expectations. In fact, it really should be laid out in the offer of employment.

Oh right, he'll have to speak to someone after the weekend then, it definitely doesn't explain more in the offer pack.

Although tbh I can only remember him being off sick twice in the last ten years, and one of them was for a fracture he did at work.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What kind of job is it? Sounds to me like he works from home but he's expected to come into work every so often so gets extra for that but maybe no mileage or something?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    What kind of job is it? Sounds to me like he works from home but he's expected to come into work every so often so gets extra for that but maybe no mileage or something?

No it's not from home, he drives forklifts.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its like an attendance bonus. It stops people pulling sickies.
  • Options
    TobySTobyS Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has it really come to this? Bribing employees to turn up for the job they're already being paid for?
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TobyS wrote: »
    Has it really come to this? Bribing employees to turn up for the job they're already being paid for?

Not bribery. You turn up, you get paid.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Also could be a little ploy to reduce overtime rates (which could be calculated using basic pay, rather than basic + attendance).
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh well done - I looked for ages. :D
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Attendance bonuses, as they are generally called, are nothing new. Some employers swear by them, but many places don't use them because they encourage people who are genuinely ill to struggle into work and spread germs. ...
  • Options
    TobySTobyS Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it IS paying employees to not 'go on the sick' (a euphemism for skiving)!!!!!
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes...