Should I chuck all my old school books out.

phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've still got all my old school books which I don't really want anymore as their taking up too much room. Should I chuck them? Would I regret doing it? Have you still got yours?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have a couple of mine, i'll keep them, if you got loads though maybe keep the good ones
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    agree with above
    i've got lots of old school stuff its nice to keep.
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    I've binned most. There was nothing special there. I kept some project work that seems sad to bin as I worked hard on it.

Perhaps imagine if you'd want to look at them again. For nostalgia, reference or interest. If you can't imagine wanting to look at them again, then there's little point in keeping them.
  • sezziesezzie Posts: 11,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I threw all mine away on the advice of a friend who said it was 'dead energy'. That was several years ago and I've regretted it ever since!

I'd say, hang on to them if you have the space. You never know when you might just want to have a little trip down Memory Lane :)
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,068
    Forum Member
    I'm having this issue with my kids school books. Every time I ask them what they want done with them they say they don't mind and bin them if I want to. I'm loathe to do that though so they get moved from cupboard to drawer back to cupboard again every few months.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bin some, keep others - just in case you ever have a nastalgic moment.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I keep the storywriting jotters, projects and best artwork in a memory box but bin everything else.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mother found a couple of boxes of my old school books/reports/certificates etc in her loft.

I spent a couple of evenings going through it all and then had to be ruthless and bin a lot of it. I kept just a few exercise books but all my reports and certificates.
  • mellybumpsmellybumps Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    I chucked out pretty much all mine and I don't regret it. I've kept letters from my friends during my school days (mostly for hilarity value!!) and sentimental things but I didn't really like school so it didn't upset me to bin it all off. However, I can't bring myself to throw away my children's school work :cool:
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I don't have anything left from school. I have my University work documented on email.
  • nWo 2013nWo 2013 Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    Keep the books you liked looking through.
  • nWo 2013nWo 2013 Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    Keep the books you liked looking through.

I went through this and found that keeping books for others to use was pointless and the curriculum is always changing.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I keep the storywriting jotters, projects and best artwork in a memory box but bin everything else.

Yes, it's good to read what you wrote when you were younger - oddly touching. Keep th work you did yourself, bin the rest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scan them, that way you can keep them all digitally and still free up the storage space.
  • LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I threw away things like maths books but kept anything I had creative input into like English Literature and essays... definitely good for a nostalgic moment!
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Mine went in the bin straight away. I can't say I've missed them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I went through all mine a couple of years ago. I got rid of most of the early stuff and just kept the bits that I wanted to. Mainly just a few project bits and a couple of books for nostalgia reasons. I haven't yet tackled my A level & uni work and I don't think I could throw them away just yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recycle or donate - don't just throw in the garbage!
  • KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kept all mine but never had any reason to look back over them. After 30 years I decided to bin them along with 25 year old college work. If you ever find the need to refresh your memory on something you learned before then you can search the internet or buy a good book.
  • varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my day, school books got handed in at the end of the year to be passed out to the next year's class. They must have gone on for generations! Mind you, they were proper bound books, not the thin A4 pamphlets that kids seem to use nowadays.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Depends if you've taken your exams yet or not!
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    i kept mine till i moved out of my parents about 2 years after i left. no space for me to have them plus they took up a lot of space in my parents garage. sentimentally i wanted to keep them , all that work and all. but i was never going to look back at them. my folder full of certificates i have about 70 odd is more special to me
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kept some coursework and english books as I'm sentimental.
  • hrh7hrh7 Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    I've got a few books from my infant school days which are a delight to read now in my dotage! I'm amazed how neat I was. Lots of hilarious bits as well.

I kept my uni notes for years, not sure why as I didn't pursue a career in my "major" but 30 years later I retrained for a new career and found myself digging out my old notes from a subsidiary subject I did in my first year, never dreaming I'd ever need them again. I used them to write an essay for my new professional qualification and they were really helpful.

I also kept my old uni text books, don't bother! Get them sold while they are still of use to the next year as they go out of date really quickly so I'm left with a load of old chemistry books that neither myself nor anyone else will want. Though I looked up one of them on Amazon (or some such) which was written by one of my old tutors and it was up for sale for £45 !! Maybe I should give it a go but can't somehow imagine anyone wanting to pay 45p for it. "Introduction to group theory for chemists" anyone?
  • hrh7hrh7 Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    I read that as 'group therapy'. Probably because that's what I needed after struggling through secondary school chemistry (intermediate paper - I was banned from taking the higher). :o:D

Oooh that's spooky striing... my current career is as a psychotherapist! :eek::D