Options

CS: Roy & Kathy

marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,894
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just can't get on with these two being a couple and engaged. Most of the time Roy seems annoyed by Kathy. To me it seems like she irritates him. He doesn't seem at all happy with her. I just don't get it at all.

Comments

• Options
    Kirk AngelKirk Angel Posts: 4,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cathy the bottom feeder was horrible to Roy last night.

Both her and Alex have caused Roy so much unnecessary grief and stress over their pointless nonsense that I can see why Roy isn't his usual somewhat happy self. Hopefully they don't make it down the aisle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kirk Angel wrote: »
    Cathy the bottom feeder was horrible to Roy last night.

Both her and Alex have caused Roy so much unnecessary grief and stress over their pointless nonsense that I can see why Roy isn't his usual somewhat happy self. Hopefully they don't make it down the aisle.

I hope not. He seems miserable with her. I don't know if that is their intention and something is going to happen down the line but it's an awful pairing.
  • Options
    Kirk AngelKirk Angel Posts: 4,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marieukxx wrote: »
    I hope not. He seems miserable with her. I don't know if that is their intention and something is going to happen down the line but it's an awful pairing.

You mean Roy is gonna get the cricket bat out again!? We can only give more hope!

But then again nothing can kill Cathy. They've tried junk...fires and getting hit with a car yet she's still alive!
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kathy must be the most boring character ever on CS. I thought Roy was supposed to be an intelligent man - what can he have in common with such a dead-head?
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    I think she works well as just a friend, but as a couple they don't have a natural chemistry. And I think it's far too soon after Hayley.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she works well as just a friend, but as a couple they don't have a natural chemistry. And I think it's far too soon after Hayley.

far too soon? :o hayley has been dead around 2 1/2 years! is he meant to be alone forever?

I like roy and Cathy and I think Alex is gret, Roy is good with Alex and we can see Roy having to teach himself new emotions/behaviours to learn to deal with him. we are seeing Roy pushed a little outside of his comfort zone in regards to his social interactions which I think is a good thing
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always think Roy was happier on his own.
  • Options
    Lisa_CharleneLisa_Charlene Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I agree. Roy and cathy are an awful pairing. I don't know why they paired him up. He is the type of person who would be happy alone. She treats him badly as well. Corrie used to be good at creating warm, loving couples and some still are good like Kirk and Beth, David and kylie and Sally and tim but in recent years there have been awful pairings like Mandy and Lloyd, Andrea and Lloyd, Steve and Michelle, Leanne and kal, sinead and Chesney, fiz and Tyrone, zeedan and Rana, Sophie and Jenna
  • Options
    James_LanganJames_Langan Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    Kathy must be the most boring character ever on CS. I thought Roy was supposed to be an intelligent man - what can he have in common with such a dead-head?

They got one thing in common
    They got the fire down below.
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I really don't like the pairing. I used to like Hayley and Roy don't think I will ever take to Cathy.
  • Options
    CoolWhipLiteCoolWhipLite Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Cathy and Alex give Roy nothing but grief. He had to put up with Cathy's hoarding issues and her dump of a house, and then she infiltrated his personal space by moving herself into his flat. And Alex is just a haemorrhoid...Roy and Cathy aren't on the same page about him --- Cathy gives him no boundaries and is always whining, "Well, he is 28" even though his cognitive issues cause him to be a sneaky young teen.

Roy is just one-dimensional now: stressed out.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roy is a brilliant character, but he works best as a loner. Kathy is using him and, even worse, she has moved her out-of--control nephew into Roy's flat. Watching the scenes of her 'punishing' Roy with three days of sulks was unwatchable. If she has a contract, and they can't get rid of her, at least they could move her back to her own house, with Alex, and give Roy his privacy. From there they could gradually write Katy and Alex out, then give Roy a wholesome story.
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cathy is so dull. I just can't bring myself to care about her. And her constant babying of Alex is annoying. Her and Roy have zero romantic chemistry. Why on Earth are they getting married?
  • Options
    Cool_mateCool_mate Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there's a saying (I think) opposites attract? It's probably that

I'm sorry but I dunno how Cathy puts up with Roy. Before anyone sees this and thinks: ok you don't like Roy, I do like Roy alright? He's a nice bloke. I just think...He's boring as hell. And surely no one talks how he does in real life. Example below of him talking to MyKylie (:cool::p) contrasting how different they talk

Kylie: "I ant done owt!!"
    Roy: "Well given the incredibly particularly exuberant circumstances I propose that you ensure"(whatever) blah blah blah
    Kylie: "Just chill out Roy, yeah?"
    Roy: "Chill out?" What is it precisely that you are referring to if I may ask?"
    Kylie: "Just relax. Have a brek. D'ya get it?"
    Roy: "Affirmative. I shall take this matter no further"

That might have worked better with Gemma actually cos she's way more chavvy than Kylie. But anyway...

Poor ****in Cathy has to put up with that shit talk on a daily basis!! :o no wonder Alex rebels against him!!

While I do like Roy and reckon he's played well like i said before I find him soooo boring
  • Options
    ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    I just can't get on with these two being a couple and engaged. Most of the time Roy seems annoyed by Kathy. To me it seems like she irritates him. He doesn't seem at all happy with her. I just don't get it at all.

Engaged?! Did I miss an episode?
    Cool_mate wrote: »
    Well there's a saying (I think) opposites attract? It's probably that

I'm sorry but I dunno how Cathy puts up with Roy. Before anyone sees this and thinks: ok you don't like Roy, I do like Roy alright? He's a nice bloke. I just think...He's boring as hell. And surely no one talks how he does in real life. Example below of him talking to MyKylie (:cool::p) contrasting how different they talk

Kylie: "I ant done owt!!"
    Roy: "Well given the incredibly particularly exuberant circumstances I propose that you ensure"(whatever) blah blah blah
    Kylie: "Just chill out Roy, yeah?"
    Roy: "Chill out?" What is it precisely that you are referring to if I may ask?"
    Kylie: "Just relax. Have a brek. D'ya get it?"
    Roy: "Affirmative. I shall take this matter no further"

That might have worked better with Gemma actually cos she's way more chavvy than Kylie. But anyway...

Poor ****in Cathy has to put up with that shit talk on a daily basis!! :o no wonder Alex rebels against him!!

While I do like Roy and reckon he's played well like i said before I find him soooo boring

That's just the character he plays.
    Its been debated that he has Aspergers Syndrome, they are either on the higher or lower spectrum. The person I live with being on the lower spectrum, and let me tell you, shes ****ing hard work.

They have their quirky ways, I think David potrays Roy perfectly.
  • Options
    lylonic_xlylonic_x Posts: 2,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roy is a Saint putting up with both Cathy and Alex, Cathy especially. Ever since she first appeared she has given him nothing but grief. The hoarding storyline was the only storyline she has had that's been anywhere near decent. Since then, she forced herself upon him. First she moved herself into his flat, brought Alex along so all three are inside a poxy little flat above a cafe (would be more room in her house but whatever..) Her condescending way of talking down to Roy and forcing her opinion on him no matter the subject. Forcing Roy to back down on his own morals, especially where Alex is concerned (the latest storyline with Alex stealing Roy's car is another example of this.)

Roy needs to finally reclaim his life (and flat for that matter) and boot her out and then we can see the Roy we all know and love be happy again
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Roy should stay a loner and keep Kathy as a friend. Id also boot Alex out of my flat too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its been debated that he has Aspergers Syndrome, they are either on the higher or lower spectrum. The person I live with being on the lower spectrum, and let me tell you, shes ****ing hard work.

You must have as they are engaged now:

http://www.*******************/soaps-2/coronation-street-spoilers-amy-blackmailing-michelle-phelan-conned-norris/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like this pairing. They just aren't suited at all and she seems to get right on his nerves. She has just bombarded herself into his life.
  • Options
    Cool_mateCool_mate Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah one of my best mates has aspergers. He's nothing like Roy though
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The writers don't seem to realise that Royston did not need any other partnership after Hayley had died.
  • Options
    StreetFanStreetFan Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like Cathy. But,I don't feel there was any need to pair Roy off again. He can still work well as a friend and employer to other characters.
  • Options
    Mark_Stewart1Mark_Stewart1 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    They're better off as friends I think. Haley was a kindred spirit and they got on very well together, Cathy is a polar opposite and you can see on Roy's face many times she grates on him.
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Couldn't agree with you more. I just can't buy them as a couple in a romantic relationship. I would have found it much more believable (and probably interesting!) if the two had stayed in a close platonic friendship.

I don't find Cathy that offensive as a character and when she first appeared she had the potential to be interesting but as the months have passed, she's become bland and one dimensional. I also don't mind Alex but struggle to see beyond his existence on the show being anything more than a box ticking exercise.
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roy should stay a loner and keep Kathy as a friend. Id also boot Alex out of my flat too
    Roy is a brilliant character, but he works best as a loner. Kathy is using him and, even worse, she has moved her out-of--control nephew into Roy's flat. Watching the scenes of her 'punishing' Roy with three days of sulks was unwatchable. If she has a contract, and they can't get rid of her, at least they could move her back to her own house, with Alex, and give Roy his privacy. From there they could gradually write Katy and Alex out, then give Roy a wholesome story.
    I always think Roy was happier on his own.
    k9fan wrote: »
    The writers don't seem to realise that Royston did not need any other partnership after Hayley had died.
    StreetFan wrote: »
    I do like Cathy. But,I don't feel there was any need to pair Roy off again. He can still work well as a friend and employer to other characters.
    They're better off as friends I think. Haley was a kindred spirit and they got on very well together, Cathy is a polar opposite and you can see on Roy's face many times she grates on him.

Sorry guys, hadn't read the thread before posting and you've all pretty much summed up what I said :D:blush: