• NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    see post #102.

D'oh.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1243774&page=5

Not like she wasn;t told.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,515
    Forum Member
    Baird was the brand used by Radio Rentals. The original Baird TV company was shut down in 1939 I think. I would think if a company is defunct then anyone can just use the name?? Nobody to sue you??

The rights to the name still exist, and SOMEONE owns it - presumably Thorn bought the rights back then, and used it for Radio Rentals and DER.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    electronic TV was certainly not invented by EMI :eek:

the system that Marconi EMI used at alexandra palace in 1936

was the american system from RCA based on the iconoscope developed by V. Zworykn Marconie got this via rights to use the patent

see-
    http://www.bairdtelevision.com/zworykin.html

I wouldn't say that's wrong, but not quite complete.

An American, Philo T. Farnsworth claims to have invented the first completely electronic TV set.
    Forum Member
    Nipkow patented mechanical TV in 1884.

No, Nipkow patented the Nipkow disk used in mechanical TV. Not a complete mechanical TV set.
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    No, Nipkow patented the Nipkow disk used in mechanical TV. Not a complete mechanical TV set.

Does it matter who claims what?, Baird is down in history as the inventor of TV, just as Bell is down as the inventor of the telephone.
    Forum Member
    I am saying the VHS and Blueray are mechanical TV systems
    mechanical TV is still in use today so it was hardly a dead end

JVC invented VHS, Sony for BluRay (I think).

Neither these nor telecine machines constitute mechanical TV to those who use and operate them.

Mechanical TV is so-called provided the *camera* and *TV set* are mechanical, not VCRs, DVDs or telecine machines. Yes they contain mechanisms but they do not constitute mechanical TV, as the information is still recorded in a series of electronic blips, much like that used in electronic TV.

Telecines are counted as being electronic TV because that is the TV system they transmit their output on.
  • PemblechookPemblechook Posts: 2,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never been able to actually discover what Farnsworth's disector was?? I gather it didn't work well and it was Zworykin's iconoscope which EMI used in the first place. I think Farnsworth is an example of Americans thinking they invented everything. The myth that he thought of scanning when ploughing a field?? Well. that was in the 1920s and scanning was known by then.. 1880, France and Nipkow's patent of 1884.
    Forum Member
    I think Farnsworth is an example of Americans thinking they invented everything. The myth that he thought of scanning when ploughing a field?? Well. that was in the 1920s and scanning was known by then..

I think what was explained in the brilliant documentary on the invention of TV presented by Jeremy Clarkson was that Philo apparently (according to an American TV saddo - sorry, geek that they interviewed) got his inspiration from loads of scientific journals and magazines that he discovered were in the attic of the ranch that they moved into, left there by the previous owner.

Anyway, the image dissector was a camera pickup tube (as it dissects the image)

http://www.ieeeghn.org/wiki/index.php/Farnsworth%27s_Image_Dissector
  • MartinteaMartintea Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Well the history of Television is very interesting I must say....anyway.....are Baird televisions any good?:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    German engineering student, Paul Nipkow proposed and patented the world's first mechanical television system in 1884. Paul Nipkow devised the notion of dissecting the image and transmitting it sequentially. To do this he designed the first television scanning device. Paul Nipkow was the first person to discover television's scanning principle, in which the light intensities of small portions of an image are successively analyzed and transmitted.

http://inventors.about.com/od/germaninventors/a/Nipkow.htm

The view at my University was that the person who had the original idea was the genius and those who turn that idea into reality were merely 'technicians'. I think they are right to some extent (not too much). It is maybe more a 50/50 effort.

Most things are invented and developed by several people in various countries and often it is debateable exactly who did what so mnay years ago.
    Forum Member
    Martintea wrote: »
    are Baird televisions any good?:D

Made by Vestel? Naaaaaaaaaah!
  • MartinteaMartintea Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    Made by Vestel? Naaaaaaaaaah!

Blimey,that was quick :)
    Forum Member
    German engineering student, Paul Nipkow proposed and patented the world's first mechanical television system in 1884. Paul Nipkow devised the notion of dissecting the image and transmitting it sequentially. To do this he designed the first television scanning device. Paul Nipkow was the first person to discover television's scanning principle, in which the light intensities of small portions of an image are successively analyzed and transmitted.

http://inventors.about.com/od/germaninventors/a/Nipkow.htm

The view at my University was that the person who had the original idea was the genius and those who turn that idea into reality were merely 'technicians'. I think they are right to some extent (not too much). It is maybe more a 50/50 effort.

Most things are invented and developed by several people in various countries and often it is debateable exactly who did what so mnay years ago.

Well that's wrong. How can he have discovered TV when the means of transmitting the signals hadn't been discovered till 1895?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Ahh another thread where the mention of Baird takes the original post off into new and weird places

:D

Yes, very much so!!!!;)
    But just to get another posters goat up....Baird came up with a practical means of recording vision signals onto discs (looked like the old 78 records)!!:eek: The BBC have recently found a means of "transfering" and modifying these recordings to a more practical modern medium. Whatever you may think of the recalcitrant Scot, he did get the ball rolling, even the idea of Thermal Socks!! was ahead of it's time. If the transistor had not come along we would probably be now using those ultra minature valves (one brand name being NuVistor) that RCA Victor were fond of in the tuners for their HUGE colour console TV's.These valves were originally intended for use in military equipment, to make the equipment more portable. The same could not be said of the battery packs required.:D
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    I have never been able to actually discover what Farnsworth's disector was?? I gather it didn't work well and it was Zworykin's iconoscope which EMI used in the first place. I think Farnsworth is an example of Americans thinking they invented everything. The myth that he thought of scanning when ploughing a field?? Well. that was in the 1920s and scanning was known by then.. 1880, France and Nipkow's patent of 1884.

Actually you see a lot of that on british tv actually. The great british this or that documentary...
    and of course the exageration and over concentration on biard has occured as well, notably repeated in this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used 144 MHz receiving converters using 6CW4 Nuvistors.
  • Robert__lawRobert__law Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Farsworth supplied the Baird co with the image disector to use at alexandra palace it produced a picture like a sausage and was no use all the farsworth stuff was lost in the fire at crystal palace which destroyed most of Bairds equipment
  • NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    The rights to the name still exist, and SOMEONE owns it - presumably Thorn bought the rights back then, and used it for Radio Rentals and DER.

Not sure why, but Best Buy who are making in-roads into the UK, acquirde the rights to the Rumbellow's name a while back.

Personally i think it was money down the drain. Their own brand is highly respected and worth much more.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/31358/best-buy-looking-rumbelows-branding-high-street
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilPost wrote: »
    Not sure why, but Best Buy who are making in-roads into the UK, acquirde the rights to the Rumbellow's name a while back.

Personally i think it was money down the drain. Their own brand is highly respected and worth much more.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/31358/best-buy-looking-rumbelows-branding-high-street

I'd never associate Rumberlows with being a quality TV / consumer electronics retailer, anyone under 30 probably has never heard of them either. Best Buy sounds far better I'd have thought!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd never associate Rumberlows with being a quality TV / consumer electronics retailer, anyone under 30 probably has never heard of them either.

They were pretty much on a par with Curry's and Comet, love them or hate them they shift boxes.

I would think nearer 40 plus, there are a lot of those around with money to spend.
    Best Buy sounds far better I'd have thought!

Why? Unless you frequent forums such as these or possibly the odd article in a newspaper then they sound just like another 'Pound Shop'. Consequently Rumbelows is a 'name' that used to be in our high street and recognised by 50% of the consumer population of this country.
    Forum Member
    NeilPost wrote: »

What is their own brand? - or do you mean 'shop name' rather than 'brand'?.

I certainly don't think the Rumbelows name will do them any favours?.
  • Robert__lawRobert__law Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pocatello wrote: »
    Actually you see a lot of that on british tv actually. The great british this or that documentary...
    and of course the exageration and over concentration on biard has occured as well, notably repeated in this thread.

Baird has been covered up and ignored written of as a failure because of his mechanical system most people are completely ignorant of Bairds achievements after 1926

Baird invented television he was the first person in the world to do so , Baird fought poverty and ill health to achieve his dream of TV it was his publicity which would spur on company's like Marconi who had the money which baird did not have.

The Baird company had the worlds first tv station and its own transmitter years before Marconi EMI

Baird achieved all the firsts in TV

colour 1928
    3D 1928

phono vision video recording

cinema television 1930

first transatlantic TV 1928 long before Clark even thought about satellite again clarke like Baird duse not get the credit he is due if logie Baird had any fault it was he kept on to long with mechanical TV when others had moved to CRT however he made up with inventing the worlds first all electronic colour 1000 line autosterescopic 3d TV in 1945

He was the gratest scotish scientist who ever lived perhaps this is why he is ignored
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where is the [/]slaps forehead[/] or [/[ thread flying off into another dimension[/] emoticon when you need it?
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Baird has been covered up and ignored written of as a fail

*snip*

He was the gratest scotish scientist who ever lived perhaps this is why he is ignored

No, his implimentations lacked the insights made by others to make for practical advances in technology which create the true predecessors to all the things you are claiming he invented. He gets the credit for creating a lot of dead end tech.