Options

Mass Effect 3 - (The Discussion Thread with SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    ToomaMcC wrote: »
    With the endings, the quick photoshop job of Tali's face and other sloppy bits I think it is more than likely they did run out of time.
    I want to replay but knowing how it ends puts me off so much. Until the end I was blown away by the game.

Your right. I did the last 30min again to see what the Destroy ending was like for me but I don't care or want to touch the game now.

Even Multiplayer isn't attracting me much. Maybe when time goes on and DLC's come along I will re-play but for now Biowares sloppy ending had pushed me away.
  • Options
    barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, so I finished it this evening and overall a brilliant game, but as with most of you, I'm disappointed by the ending. I can accept Shepard dying, a sacrifice to save the Galaxy, but we don't really know if it was saved. I just read a brilliant article about it from the other discussion thread, the 5 reasons why the fans are right to hate the ending, and that describes all that is wrong with it perfectly.

It's upsetting that Miranda is separated from her sister, that Tali finally has a homeworld to go back to but can't, that Wrex can't see the birth of his children. And that's assuming that they even survived anyway.

Other points that I'm disappointed in a way weren't included:
    • Kal Reeger wasn't in it. Well he wasn't in my playthrough and I don't know what I would've had to have done for him to be there. But ME has been great with past characters reappearing, even in ME3, but I was disappointed he wasn't in it.
    • I was hoping Liara's father, would've had a bigger role. It was nice and amusing to hear their conversations with one another on the Presidium but after the Cerberus attack on the Citadel, Aethyta just disappeared and we never found out what happened to her.
    • What happened to Aria? She said she was sure her and Shepard would meet again after completing her related side missions, yet you never seen her present at the final attack. I also thought there was a hint that she and Wrex had fought one another before. My mind is hazy on the actual circumstances as I haven't played the first game in a while. If she was the same Commando Wrex fought, I would've liked to have seen a reunion between the two.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I completed it at the weekend i thought the game got a 9/10 rating for me , but i agree the ending spoilt it for me im not bothered about Shepard being killed off far from i exspected it , when they said last year it be his last in the series, so that didnt make me annoyed but what did was that they pretty much wrecked the universe for future series games like the mass relays destroyed , how are civilations able to travel system to system ? and the citadel destroyed in the two endings , instead everyone is stuck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Okay, so I finished it this evening and overall a brilliant game, but as with most of you, I'm disappointed by the ending. I can accept Shepard dying, a sacrifice to save the Galaxy, but we don't really know if it was saved. I just read a brilliant article about it from the other discussion thread, the 5 reasons why the fans are right to hate the ending, and that describes all that is wrong with it perfectly.

It's upsetting that Miranda is separated from her sister, that Tali finally has a homeworld to go back to but can't, that Wrex can't see the birth of his children. And that's assuming that they even survived anyway.

• Kal Reeger wasn't in it. Well he wasn't in my playthrough and I don't know what I would've had to have done for him to be there. But ME has been great with past characters reappearing, even in ME3, but I was disappointed he wasn't in it.
    • I was hoping Liara's father, would've had a bigger role. It was nice and amusing to hear their conversations with one another on the Presidium but after the Cerberus attack on the Citadel, Aethyta just disappeared and we never found out what happened to her.
    • What happened to Aria? She said she was sure her and Shepard would meet again after completing her related side missions, yet you never seen her present at the final attack. I also thought there was a hint that she and Wrex had fought one another before. My mind is hazy on the actual circumstances as I haven't played the first game in a while. If she was the same Commando Wrex fought, I would've liked to have seen a reunion between the two.

Your right something has gone massively wrong in the ending. All that work in the game seems ti be put aside. Aria for example is a good example.

If this is all because Bioware have something massive up there sleeve then it could all pay off. But somehow I don't think they have. The more I think about the ending the more things don't add up. There's way too many holes.

Also in the end battle - all that firepower couldn't destroy one Reaper yet you too a reaper down with a few targeted shots early on in the game.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    aHHHH.

What a load of crap! - I unsubscribed to live. Guess I will have to blow a load more money just for the video.

Mind you I really dont think its Shepard surviving anyway.

If you need Multilayer to get this "survival video" or a really high score - its obviously a hint at the NEW character.
    Could even be your Multilayer Character ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

If they wanted Shep to survive it would be in each ending outcome.

I still think it *must* be Shepard. IMO it makes zero sense for it to be anyone else.

- Clothing/uniform looks like Shepard's did after Harbinger's beam burnt off (!) her/his armour.

- The breath sound is female if you played a FemShep.

- It's a common trope from TV, film, videogames, etc., and has been used before in the ME series.

Makes far more sense for it to be Shepard than some previously unseen character. Also can't be your multiplayer character - I had that ending without ever having touched the MP (I used the Datapad iOS app to up my Galactic Readiness), plus the MP lets you play different class characters of different races.

Why would Shepard surviving have to be in every outcome? Why not just in one, and only if certain conditions are met?
    MU ? Whats that? Also - I couldn't find Diana Vickers either- don't know how much that's worth.

Diana Allers. She's in the waiting area at the Normandy dock on the Citadel the very first time you go there after Mars. Initially only worth 5 WA, and can increase your WA due to interviews you give her.
    Hope Bioware realise its not Shepard dying but all the confusing mess after the final act thats got people.

They could just easily do a.... Got to light lift OK- Went to citadel- destroyed the reapers - the end. But that's not exactly memorable or original.

Yup. It annoys that some commentators on blogs on game sites are still classing it as just a bunch of whiney fans who think they're "entitled" to some magical happy ending.

I don't mind a "bittersweet ending", and I don't mind Shepard making a heroic sacrifice, what I do mind is an ending that doesn't make sense! Five years with the franchise, hundreds of hours playing the games... I would like an ending that doesn't have ridiculous plotholes, and which also gives some closure!

Ænima wrote: »
    Yeah, I already pointed that out. It made no sense at all. Low war assets should have meant the assault on Earth and the battle above it failed or had more casualties, not just the wave blowing up Earth. Yet another stupid plot point they tacked onto the end.

Yup. If it was the case that a low EMS caused Earth to be destroyed due to the Reapers, even if you then managed to fire the Crucible after, then fair enough... But it makes out it's due to the Crucible? :confused:

Kal'Reegar died off-camera :(

He and his squad made a heroic sacrifice, it's mentioned in a news article you get emailed at somepoint.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway. Despite the ending, I'm on my second playthrough. I still love the game.

I have my own ending in my head, where Joker doesn't cowardly fly off with the Normandy and squadmates who should be dead, where the relays are not destroyed, where there's an explanation for the other plotholes, and where Shepard actually has a damn conversation with the Catalyst, instead of just accepting the three choices, and points out to the Catalyst that its solution is total BS as is the problem itself*

*[How does the Catalyst know that synthetic life will always rebel and totally and utterly destroy its organic creators and render the galaxy devoid of organic life? If it happened in the distant past, how come the galaxy still has organic life? If it didn't happen, then why is the Catalyst so sure? And what about the geth and quarians... The geth did not rebel against their organic creators and wipe them out, they defended themselves against genocide by the quarians, all without wiping them out in return. The geth only later attacked again because of Reaper influence! And then of course Shepard brought them together... Sorry, Mr Catalyst, your argument is nonsense.]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also in the end battle - all that firepower couldn't destroy one Reaper yet you too a reaper down with a few targeted shots early on in the game.

Which two Reapers do you mean?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Kal'Reegar died off-camera :(

He and his squad made a heroic sacrifice, it's mentioned in a news article you get emailed at somepoint.

Oh I didn't realise, that's so sad :( They could've at least included him during the Rannoch mission and shown his sacrifice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUqAhKW7498

This is a very long video but worth watching. The ending's he proposes would be fantastic and I wish that's how they were. Heck, now after reading and watching the feedback, I can't accept that Shepard had to die, we should've had an ending where she/he survived. We should've been rewarded for our efforts throughout the series. Shepard survives, everyone survives if you made the right choices, the Galaxy is united, the Reapers are destroyed, Shepard gets to be with their LI; the happiest ending you can get. Why not? Who cares if it's too happy to be true, it doesn't have to be the only ending, only the best taking everything throughout the entire series into account, all your actions, all your decisions. Let us have the opportunity to have that perfect ending.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know, I was wondering where he was all through the Rannoch missions, only to later read that news article :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drew Karpyshyn on the ending, and a dropped one involving Dark Energy (which was heavily foreshadowed in ME2):

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/5557/article/former-mass-effect-lead-writer-defends-series-conclusion/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drew Karpyshyn on the ending, and a dropped one involving Dark Energy (which was heavily foreshadowed in ME2):

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/5557/article/former-mass-effect-lead-writer-defends-series-conclusion/

That's depressing. I think he was trying to defend the ending, but it comes across more as 'the ending was always going to be crap', imo.
  • Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have Bioware mentioned anything else about the endings beyond evasive & at times contradictory comments?

I don't think they were expecting such a back lash, otherwise their PR machine would be a hell of a lot more organised than it is right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which two Reapers do you mean?

I was meant to say "took" not two- sorry.

On Rannoch you take down and kill a Reaper yourself with the aid of the Quarian fleet.

Another was taken down by a worm !

Yet in the final battle with all that extreme fire-power not one gets destroyed.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    PinSarla wrote: »
    Have Bioware mentioned anything else about the endings beyond evasive & at times contradictory comments?

I don't think they were expecting such a back lash, otherwise their PR machine would be a hell of a lot more organised than it is right now.

They've said they are willing to talk more about the ending when they feel everyone has finished the game, and I think something yesterday was said about rewrite not being out of the question.
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silly question.
    I've just got this game, I'm about 6 hours into it now.
    How do I find out where to go for missions?. I can see on my map the names of people, but if I'm not at the map location, then I cant find out where I'm supposed to go. I look on the universe map, but can only see the main mission locations, can't see any clues about the other side missions I have. I've found a few by randomly looking about and visiting various systems, but other missions I havent a clue where Im supposed to go.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    I've probally missed something obvious..lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotelier wrote: »
    Silly question.
    How do I find out where to go for missions?. I can see on my map the names of people, but if I'm not at the map location, then I cant find out where I'm supposed to go. I look on the universe map, but can only see the main mission locations, can't see any clues about the other side missions I have. I've found a few by randomly looking about and visiting various systems, but other missions I havent a clue where Im supposed to go.

The quests are quite annoying in this one. You basically have to run around the citadel after every main mission and get the quests by overhearing conversations, the journal is useless in this game too. Your best bet is to use a guide.

Also, you might want to use the other thread if you don't want the ending spoiled for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On Rannoch you take down and kill a Reaper yourself with the aid of the Quarian fleet.

Yet in the final battle with all that extreme fire-power not one gets destroyed.

I'm sure some get destroyed, in the cgi cutscene when all the fleets turn up at least one Reaper is partially destroyed, I'm guessing it's later fully destroyed.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Hotelier wrote: »
    Silly question.

I found this a bit annoying too. The system of not babysitting you worked well in Mass Effect 1, because the journal was better. Basically, you just have to look in the journal and remember the location for most side quests. Actually, most side quests in this game ended up just being 'scan a particular planet' and that was it. As for finding people on the citadel afterwards, that is a pain too. Just wander around all of it until you see someone with a marker above their head.
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished it last night. Not much to say that hasn't been said really. Loved the game, bad ending. Until the inevitable DLC to fix it I'll just imagine up something else and pretend that's what really happened.

(Embarrassingly, I only died once in the "endgame" missions of Cerberus HQ and Earth, and it was the slow motion bit when one of the husks ran into me.)
  • Options
    JordanDSJordanDS Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good game (apart from the Geth mission which I found a bit boring). But that ending is so underwhelming it hurts! I don't know what I've done wrong, but I've played both endings and after the Normandy crashes, I just get the door starting to open, and then it cuts straight to the credits! No clue as to whom - if anyone - got out! Then I sat though all the credits just to get the silly rubbish with the kid and the 'Stargazer'! I certainly didn't get someone who might've been Shep breathing his larst... Come on, Bioward, you can't leave it like that!
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    JordanDS wrote: »
    Good game (apart from the Geth mission which I found a bit boring). But that ending is so underwhelming it hurts! I don't know what I've done wrong, but I've played both endings and after the Normandy crashes, I just get the door starting to open, and then it cuts straight to the credits! No clue as to whom - if anyone - got out! Then I sat though all the credits just to get the silly rubbish with the kid and the 'Stargazer'! I certainly didn't get someone who might've been Shep breathing his larst... Come on, Bioward, you can't leave it like that!

You can get cut scene even if you skip the credits :D

To get the guy in the rubble you need to do destroy option and get 4000 or 5000 EMS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I hope they will do something to fix the ending, and not just turn round and say it's the indoctrination theory, because as someone said, that isn't any better because then we are left without any proper ending at all. I'm worried that they will just wait till the next Mass Effect game set in 50,000 years time, where we see the hologram Liara made with Shepard and everything and we find out everyone's fate that way. I really hope they don't do that, having to wait years for another game and pay to find out what happened to the characters and the galaxy of the game we waited and paid for to discover their fates then. Suppose we just have to wait and see what's decided in the coming months.
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    i found fighting the geth boring to, dont no why though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I hope they will do something to fix the ending, and not just turn round and say it's the indoctrination theory, because as someone said, that isn't any better because then we are left without any proper ending at all. I'm worried that they will just wait till the next Mass Effect game set in 50,000 years time, where we see the hologram Liara made with Shepard and everything and we find out everyone's fate that way. I really hope they don't do that, having to wait years for another game and pay to find out what happened to the characters and the galaxy of the game we waited and paid for to discover their fates then. Suppose we just have to wait and see what's decided in the coming months.

Thinking about it though, any 'Ending DLC' will probably take months to come up with, by that point I don't know if I'll really care or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't forget that those were "small" Reapers.

The Sovereign-class dreadnaughts are far bigger than the destroyers, although I think some did get destroyed in the battle near Earth.