Carla & Peter / Alison & Chris - Discussion/Appreciation/Fandom (3)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I haven't replied on this thread for a long time, but watched and kept up to date. It's been frustrating to say the least.
    I'm happy with all the carla and Hayley scenes. If anything it got her interacting with other characters other than Peter, which she's going to need once Peter gas gone,and gave a little glimpse that she works so well with others too. I hope she'll get support this time I really do,she may not take it, but that it's there. There scene's was fab and I loved how she acted throughout, with Hayley and with Roy, fix and Anna.

The affair is awful as it was always going to be. I suspect it's why Chris is leaving. He wasn 't happy when he cheated on Leanne, with carla even, but at least that was built up, and it felt was the last time. He was never going to be happy with this latest development, it is going round in circles and I be the just thought to cut his losses. I think it's sad for carter and the state they have been put in, but do agree with people who see that Peter justifies this in only the way he can. And it's not meant to change how he feels about carla, but just what he does. I can't except it tho and haven't watched much.

Carla being pregnant does open a few more doors for carla. I wish there could be one women in soap who doesn't have baby drama, but that's not to be the case. I hope she struggles, I hope it doesn't come easy. I hope she'll grow in strength and find support from friends and peter's family when he leaves, and Rob steps up, as brother and uncle. Hmm Rob is going to be interesting to watch when the affair and baby news comes out and murder investigations start I think. I hope carla never changes personality, still works and her own person, boss and independent. I Do think she'll keep it. I think it adds to the drama of Peter leaving, Tina dying, the affair and Carter's relationship, but I want it to be Carla's story not foil for the affair, tho that's what it'll be in some way. Finding out more of Carla's past, while pregnant would be good, seeing her cope or not, and isn't Roy supposed to be supporting Carla too. Maybe it's not affair he's helping with, maybe it's motherhood, I could see that and the baby a link to Hayley.

Soap characters who have babies don't have to change and carla should not regardless of if she keeps it or not. It seems they are on the right track so far and is acting as carla should at the news. She might eventually step up, feel strong and become harder again for said child, or struggle and neglect Said child and be what she knew, either I could see, a bit of both I could see. I am sure Ali will be great at it.

Charity Dingle didn't change her when she had her babies, she's harder/became more horrid and calculated. It didn't change Nicola or Bernice in Emmerdale they are the same quirky kinds selfish characters in their own way. It Didn't change Janine or Roxy in Eastenders. I loved Janine's storyline when she had Scarlett. I know they are from different soaps but just saying personalities don't have to change. Look at Kylie and Tracey Barlow. I'm not picking characters who are selfish or bad and saying carla is like them. Just characters who have not changed into Mother Earth, but react to mother hood differently and as they should do.

I wonder if carla will except her child along the way but be bad at it and just not very responsible like Roxy Mitchell and Bernice, or bitchy but capable of loving her child like Tracy and Janine. I do think carla will turn back into bitchy carla at least when she finds out about the affair whenever that is.

The most likely person, as most like carla in terms of work and being a single mother and having terrible time with men, despite being fabulous is Joan Holloway on madmen. She's in 1960's but a working professional, un maternal mother trying to juggle career and her son by herself. She hasn't changed. she's still hard Joan at work, and yet made some seriously sad decisions to provide for her child, tho that's a different era. They are close in personalities and I don' t think Joan is a natural mum. She's better with her work babies more. Her husband was a piece of crap too till she got rid and went it alone, as is the baby's father, a drunk waste of space, oh and Joan was raped too.

As for ships I',m sticking to call the midwife. Every bloke is flawless in that. I don't see any of the women getting hurt. A former nun and a cute doctor is as edgy as I can muster right now because all my ships turn out bad.

This is long. All my musings. See you later when we see things pan out.

Do not make carla a murderer please corrie that's all I ask now
  • princesseggnessprincesseggness Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Holz_ wrote: »
    I always look forward to your take on spoilers etc :)

Ahhh, cheers! And, I always look forward to you putting your psychoanalytical hat on. Your posts are terrific when you do so. ;-) Let's just hope if Carla starts exploring her own fears about motherhood, and does so with the likes of Rob, Peter and Michelle,...and maybe even Ken,...when he returns, there'll be plenty material for you. :)
    Do we though? This is what I've been wondering. On the one hand, I know he regrets not being there for when Simon was a baby, and there's probably a part of him that would revel in having that second chance. But then again, look at his current life situation. He's having an affair and getting away with it, and I doubt a man like that will be overly happy at having to give that up. He's also co-running a business and living the best of both words in being a part time father to Simon. The whole reason Tina entered their lives in the first place was to nanny Simon while they both worked, and I wonder how readily he would actually give that up for the sake of a baby? He's also, to put it kindly, not 27 any more, and the thought of having a baby with Carla probably hasn't even crossed him mind. So really, we're all assuming that Peter will beg her to change her mind, but perhaps he'll surprise everyone and agree with her (hopefully in a nice way). Maybe Carla will think that he wanted her to have the abortion because of Tina when it all comes out, and that's what this story is actually about?

BIB - I can definitely see where you are coming from. Hmmm, a difficult one. :confused: But,...I suppose it's less of an assumption on my part, but more how Peter comes across to me, I suppose. Yes, Peter is getting on a bit, plus he's busy being joint-owner of the factory. BUT, I don't actually think Peter himself, knows why he's been cheating on Carla with Tina. Poorly presented by TPTB, but there is a level of irrationality in Peter's behaviour, that is in keeping with Peter's character, to a certain extent. Especially, as seen through this ridiculous affair sl.

Anyway, I can't see how giving Tina up would necessarily be such a wrench for Peter. Arguably, much of Peter's underlying behaviour, with regard to his affair, has to do with his own sense of self-worth, or lack thereof. I know we've touched on these points before. But, if TPTB convey matters properly, my understanding of Peter's reaction towards finding out about Carla's pregnancy, should be to cast Tina aside,...for the love of Carla,...ultimately.

Atm, Tina makes Peter feel that bit better about himself. Huge ego notwithstanding, Peter does not actually think that he is good enough for Carla deep down. Carla is still so independent in a lot of ways. So,...having Tina almost idolise Peter, kind of makes him feel just that bit better about himself, in a way that Carla inadvertently can't atm. Carla's so damn capable, so accomplished. Back in the day, during the Frank era, Peter literally felt like Carla's "knight-in-shining leather", when she was so vulnerable. Peter has helped Carla heal, and Carla has grown in strength. She still needs Peter, but not in the way that Peter has got used to.

Peter messed up his own business, and later, when Carla took the reins with the wedding preparations, not to mention buying her own wedding ring, it all kind of helped reinforce how redundant Peter has now felt,...psychologically speaking. Then, along comes this young, naive, messed up, but feisty girl, with more than a passing resemblance to a younger Carla? And, Peter's in his element all over again. Yes, lust is the defining factor. But, deep down, it has much to do with how Peter feels about himself. Superficially-speaking, Peter probably feels a bit worthy once more.

But, I digress, what I wanted to say, was that despite the fact that Peter is getting on bit, amongst other factors, I don't think that would actually put Peter off embracing the idea of becoming a Dad again. And, like you said, it really would be like a second chance for him. All that would remain, would be for Peter to convince Carla of the merits of being a mother, and somehow, reassuring her that she is more than capable. Hopefully, he will have the chance to so before Chris leaves Corrie.
  • Holz_Holz_ Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to twitter, Peter buys Tina a bracelet for her birthday and offers to pay her rent >:( This really is starting to sound more and more like there's genuine feeling there...
    kirby1981 wrote: »
    The affair is awful as it was always going to be. I suspect it's why Chris is leaving. He wasn 't happy when he cheated on Leanne, with carla even, but at least that was built up, and it felt was the last time. He was never going to be happy with this latest development, it is going round in circles and I be the just thought to cut his losses. I think it's sad for carter and the state they have been put in, but do agree with people who see that Peter justifies this in only the way he can. And it's not meant to change how he feels about carla, but just what he does. I can't except it tho and haven't watched much.
    I'm convinced Chris decided to leave over this storyline. Originally when SB took over and talked about carter's future, he was saying things like "who knows in the long term", suggesting Chris had no plans to leave at that point. And then all of a sudden, Chris is doing interviews saying he'd planned to leave two years ago. I'm not convinced.
    Soap characters who have babies don't have to change and carla should not regardless of if she keeps it or not. It seems they are on the right track so far and is acting as carla should at the news. She might eventually step up, feel strong and become harder again for said child, or struggle and neglect Said child and be what she knew, either I could see, a bit of both I could see. I am sure Ali will be great at it.
    True. As you said, there's characters in all the main soaps who had children but still remained as they were personality wise. Initially she'll be limited story wise once all the Peter/Tina drama dies down and the baby is born, for obvious reasons, but I guess long term she could just pay childminders/leave the baby with Michelle, Rob etc and still continue working and everything else. I mean, people like Maria and Fiz still manage to work and be in the pub most nights despite having young children.
    Do not make carla a murderer please corrie that's all I ask now
    This is my biggest fear because I really don't trust SB at all.
    Ahhh, cheers! And, I always look forward to you putting your psychoanalytical hat on. Your posts are terrific when you do so. ;-) Let's just hope if Carla starts exploring her own fears about motherhood, and does so with the likes of Rob, Peter and Michelle,...and maybe even Ken,...when he returns, there'll be plenty material for you. :)
    N'aw, well thanks! Yep, if nothing else, at least they'll hopefully be plenty of scope for such ramblings :D
    Anyway, I can't see how giving Tina up would necessarily be such a wrench for Peter. Arguably, much of Peter's underlying behaviour, with regard to his affair, has to do with his own sense of self-worth, or lack thereof. I know we've touched on these points before. But, if TPTB convey matters properly, my understanding of Peter's reaction towards finding out about Carla's pregnancy, should be to cast Tina aside,...for the love of Carla,...ultimately.
    I really want to believe this, but unfortunately I have a feeling that unless the affair comes out around that time, he may carry on seeing Tina despite Carla being pregnant. He may initially end it, but going by past scenes, all it will take is for Tina to pout at him across the bar and they'll be back to sneaking around telling each other how wrong it is.
    Atm, Tina makes Peter feel that bit better about himself. Huge ego notwithstanding, Peter does not actually think that he is good enough for Carla deep down. Carla is still so independent in a lot of ways. So,...having Tina almost idolise Peter, kind of makes him feel just that bit better about himself, in a way that Carla inadvertently can't atm. Carla's so damn capable, so accomplished. Back in the day, during the Frank era, Peter literally felt like Carla's "knight-in-shining leather", when she was so vulnerable. Peter has helped Carla heal, and Carla has grown in strength. She still needs Peter, but not in the way that Peter has got used to.

Peter messed up his own business, and later, when Carla took the reins with the wedding preparations, not to mention buying her own wedding ring, it all kind of helped reinforce how redundant Peter has now felt,...psychologically speaking. Then, along comes this young, naive, messed up, but feisty girl, with more than a passing resemblance to a younger Carla? And, Peter's in his element all over again. Yes, lust is the defining factor. But, deep down, it has much to do with how Peter feels about himself. Superficially-speaking, Peter probably feels a bit worthy once more.
    Totally agree with this, and I just wish the affair could've been written to allow some of this to come through. Peter definitely can't resist a damsel in distress, which Tina loves to play, and I think for him that's half the appeal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    First things first, I am 100% against Carla being pregnant (partly because it is just a plot device for the stupid affair and I fear it won't be handled well at all). Just thought I would say this as there is every chance the rest of my post won't make any sense.

I have watched a lot of Carla scenes on Youtube, and to me it seems as though when Paul died Carla’s character went through some major changes, imo not intentional just due to shoddy writing and continuity. Nowadays, Carla is believed to not be maternal in any way at all and to not like kids, but if you look back she used to be amazing with Ryan (2007 ish). I always got the impression that she would have kids one day just hadn’t got around to it. Then over time she has morphed into this cold, unmaternal person. I think it mainly happened so there was such a stark contrast between her and Leanne (whose friendship should never have been ruined). I’ve always liked the fact that Carla as a character stood out from all the others as she was different, but tying her down with a kid would just change the whole dynamic. I know in real life accidents happen, BUT this isn’t real life.

Also, assuming she does get rid of the baby, for me it will ruin any future possiblilty of exploring this storyline because it will always be marred with memories of this one. There are ways that it could have been tackled but the timing of it is just wrong. I get the impression TPTB are trying to make viewers sympathise with Peter… which just won’t happen.

I agree with the comment that there doesn’t have to be some deep underlying reason why Carla thinks that she will be a bad mum. It’s not always like that. I know that I would be a terrible Mum, and that’s just the way it is.

Now I have never been a big fan of Michelle, but to me she is even more annoying with Steve. SO when the inevitable happens and they break up I hope it means that she will go back to the factory, I almost miss her there. There is something so wrong with Peter being in the factory, I just don’t like it.

Finally, with regards to Peter buying Tina a bracelet *vomit*, seeing as he is essentially living off Carla, in my simple black and white world, that is like Carla buying her husband’s tart a gift.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    According to twitter, Peter buys Tina a bracelet for her birthday and offers to pay her rent >:(

He's treating her like she's a prostitute.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scarlettj wrote: »

Paying her rent to keep her around so he can keep sleeping with her. What a sleaze.
    Forum Member
    http://www.itv.com/coronationstreet/previews/picture-preview-mon-17-feb-fri-21-feb

So do Steve and Lloyd find out too? I'm so confused.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And if they do, why do they keep quiet?
    Forum Member
    Paying her rent to keep her around so he can keep sleeping with her. What a sleaze.

He really is.

Almost. I think they find Tina half-naked in the flat, she lies and says the hot water is off in her flat. They don't know that Peter is in the shower.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Almost. I think they find Tina half-naked in the flat, she lies and says the hot water is off in her flat. They don't know that Peter is in the shower.

Which will surely lead to one of them casually mentioning it in front of Carla.
  • princesseggnessprincesseggness Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    First things first, I am 100% against Carla being pregnant (partly because it is just a plot device for the stupid affair and I fear it won't be handled well at all). Just thought I would say this as there is every chance the rest of my post won't make any sense.
    All definitely making sense to me. Interesting viewpoints here. :) And, I agree, it is certainly a plot-device having Carla pregnant at this point in time. Tbf, if they don't do it now though, realistically speaking, they might as well give up with an exploration of motherhood for Carla, as she is getting older. I personally welcome it though. I think there's much scope for discourse, and as I've mentioned before, an opportunity to examine more of Carla's,...and Rob's past. I just hope they do it justice. So, I say, bring it on! :D:D
    I have watched a lot of Carla scenes on Youtube, and to me it seems as though when Paul died Carla’s character went through some major changes, imo not intentional just due to shoddy writing and continuity. Nowadays, Carla is believed to not be maternal in any way at all and to not like kids, but if you look back she used to be amazing with Ryan (2007 ish). I always got the impression that she would have kids one day just hadn’t got around to it. Then over time she has morphed into this cold, unmaternal person. I think it mainly happened so there was such a stark contrast between her and Leanne (whose friendship should never have been ruined). I’ve always liked the fact that Carla as a character stood out from all the others as she was different, but tying her down with a kid would just change the whole dynamic. I know in real life accidents happen, BUT this isn’t real life.

BIB - Yes, they certainly portrayed Carla as extremely unmaternal, as seen during the love-square period, definitely in contrast to our saintly Leanne. But, I would personally baulk at describing Carla as cold and unfeeling where kids are concerned. I definitely agree that around 2007, there were definite glimpses of Carla coming across as quite cool where kids were concerned. Or, arguably she was the cool Auntie, where Ryan was concerned. But, looking at her relationship with Simon? It isn't so much that she is cold and unfeeling. Imo, Carla just comes across as very awkward, and often clueless about the appropriate thing to say to them, to ease the situation. Carla genuinly doesn't know how to handle kids. Plus, with Simon, I think she gave him a fair crack at trying to get through to him, especially when she first moved in with Peter. Simon is just an extremely intelligent, and often difficult little boy when he wants to be. Don't forget poor Simon's young life has been anything but calm and consistent. He's experienced much trauma and upheaval. Then along comes Carla,...and in his child's eyes, she is responsible for splitting his parents up! I don't actually think that Simon has really forgiven her yet,...even now. We've certainly witnessed moments where Carla has tried to get through to him, and often tried to be really sweet towards him, in her own awkward way?
    I have never been a big fan of Michelle, but to me she is even more annoying with Steve. SO when the inevitable happens and they break up I hope it means that she will go back to the factory, I almost miss her there. There is something so wrong with Peter being in the factory, I just don’t like it.

I don't mind Peter in the factory now, actually. But, I definitely think Michelle and Carla work better there. And, I definitely have never embraced Michelle and Steve's relationship. Personally, never saw them as a good match. Steve is too immature, and makes Michelle a bit of a shrew towards him as a result. It is often excruciating to watch her behaviour towards him. Michelle definitely needs someone stronger, more mature. Keiran was great, bad sadly that was not to be. Early on, when Rob first arrived, I thought they were going to explore a relationship between Rob and Michelle, as they do have history (seeing as the Connors and Donovans practically grew up together). But, that didn't happen either.
    Finally, with regards to Peter buying Tina a bracelet *vomit*, seeing as he is essentially living off Carla, in my simple black and white world, that is like Carla buying her husband’s tart a gift.

Totally!
    Totally! That's why I'd be surprised, and mostly annoyed if the utterance of "love" is ever actually mentioned by Peter. From what I've read, when Carla invites Peter over to Paris, when she's away on business, Peter will have sex with Tina on the sofa, hand Tina a set off keys, before rushing off to catch a flight to be with his wife. If that doesn't smack of sordid affair, and treating Tina like a tart, nothing will. If Tina doesn't start to question her behaviour, then she's completely lost, and totally a different character to what we've come to know of her. But then, that's TPTB for you. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    I think we are getting an interview with Chris as soon as it's past midnight when the spoilers and interviews come out so hopefully that will shed any kind of light on this bizarre storyline.
    The spoilers come across so weirdly, it does seem very cheap and like he is stringing her along to keep her there just to sleep with her. BUT if it was only lust/fuelled by sexual desire why is he doing it? It's not like his relationship with Carla is suffering or like their relationship isn't passionate (particularly if the pregnancy stuff is true) - makes absolutely no sense.
    One spoiler says Tina is hurt when Peter offers to pay the rent on her flat and says she isn't a tart and can't be bought. Doesn't that literally epitomise what she is though! If she loves Peter why is she willing to be with him when she knows he will never leave Carla, just nothing about this storyline makes any kind of sense. Throw a pregnancy and a murder in and there will be chaos but then again maybe that's what SB wants.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    There's a new Tina and Peter preview on itv. Being from outside the UK and all, could someone say what happens in it? Doesn't look too nice. :(
    Forum Member
    There's a new Tina and Peter preview on itv. Being from outside the UK and all, could someone say what happens in it? Doesn't look too nice. :(

Just Peter and Tina in bed together, kissing, flirting and talking about showering together. The joys of a 'steamy' ^_^ affair.
    I don't watch it anymore but I check the preview clips to remind me why I don't bother.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SayNothing wrote: »
    Just Peter and Tina in bed together, kissing, flirting and talking about showering together. The joys of a 'steamy' ^_^ affair.
    I don't watch it anymore but I check the preview clips to remind me why I don't bother.
    Oh gosh, that's made me feel a bit ill. Can safely say I won't be watching.

If we don't have Peter endlessly begging for forgiveness through sobs; if there's so much as a suggestion that he doesn't regard this entire affair as a huge mistake, I promise to never watch another episode again, regardless of how deeply they go into Carla's background, or any other stories until Blackburn is gone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/scoop/a550258/coronation-street-star-on-peter-affair-latest-he-cant-help-himself.html?utm_source=twt&utm_medium=snets&utm_campaign=Twitter
    More of the same from Chris. I really don't think I'm going to be able to watch at all this month at least, with scenes like he's describing, though.

Why can it not just be May already? I hate to wish my life away, but really...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well CG has said in his latest interview that Peter will never leave Carla for Tina and that Tina is just his Mistress. So I think it's safe to say that Peter will be grovelling when Carla finds out.

Also, not that it's much better but Carla goes to Paris for a week and Peter gives Tina the key for the duration of the time she's in Paris, rather than just generally.
    Forum Member
    After reading the interview with Chris I had to smile. He may as well have just said, "Well this storyline is ridiculous, hence why I am leaving". Nothing convincing about any of his answers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well CG has said in his latest interview that Peter will never leave Carla for Tina and that Tina is just his Mistress. So I think it's safe to say that Peter will be grovelling when Carla finds out.

Also, not that it's much better but Carla goes to Paris for a week and Peter gives Tina the key for the duration of the time she's in Paris, rather than just generally.
    I guess so, although he also says he "can't help himself" and that "he's like the cat got the cream" so I imagine his guilt will be at getting caught, not the affair in the first place.
    After reading the interview with Chris I had to smile. He may as well have just said, "Well this storyline is ridiculous, hence why I am leaving". Nothing convincing about any of his answers.
    I thought that. Usually he tries to rationalise it, but here he just seems disinterested. The way he said "he must feel guilty" said it all IMO; there'll be no obvious guilt and Chris is sick of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that. Usually he tries to rationalise it, but here he just seems disinterested. The way he said "he must feel guilty" said it all IMO; there'll be no obvious guilt and Chris is sick of it.

I though that was very telling also.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given that it sounds as though Chris is generally just peeved off at the writing of his character at the moment do you think it is at all possible once Blackburn goes that he will return? I mean he's got too many ties to the street not to. If Carla kept the baby and Peter left not knowing she had, it would be hard to get Peter's family not to say anything if they assumedly stay in touch and well surely as much as I find Simon bratty he should have the chance to know his half-brother or sister.

It's a pity that they didn't consult with Chris about his write out, hell they could have consulted a class of nursery aged kids who would still likely have come up with a less stupid storyline. Tina is nearer his young son's age than his for crying out loud. Was this always going to pan out like this or was it rushed up once Chris Fountain left? It wouldn't be so implausible if they showed Peter and Carla deteriorating but whilst Tina was in London he was wholly devoted to Carla. Peter and Carla had so much potential and they've just wasted it.

Daft as it may be I don't think Carla will be able to stop herself from loving him even after the affair is revealed and depending how he goes, whether it's on the run from the police or carted off to a prison cell.
    Forum Member
    Totally! That's why I'd be surprised, and mostly annoyed if the utterance of "love" is ever actually mentioned by Peter. From what I've read, when Carla invites Peter over to Paris, when she's away on business, Peter will have sex with Tina on the sofa, hand Tina a set off keys, before rushing off to catch a flight to be with his wife. If that doesn't smack of sordid affair, and treating Tina like a tart, nothing will. If Tina doesn't start to question her behaviour, then she's completely lost, and totally a different character to what we've come to know of her. But then, that's TPTB for you. :confused:

This.

Chris Gascoyne has reiterated that Peter really likes and fancies Tina (quick thrills, passion, lust etc.) but that's about as far as it goes. He says that Carla is the woman Peter loves and wants to spend his life with - and even if Tina was pregnant, he wouldn't leave Carla for her. But as we know, Tina's feelings for Peter are more than lust and (IMO) he is manipulating her. She is infatuated with him and he knows it. He's using it, pouring on the charm so that she'll stay and be his bit on the side.
    I don't care about Tina, though. All her scenes are contrived. Carla has been so lovely to her and Tina has stabbed her in the back - she is a very sly, desperate, foolish, naive girl and I will just be glad when she's gone.
    I think that Carla's pregnancy could push her over the edge. She wants Peter to love her, not Carla - which is never going to happen - and she really wanted to keep Gary and Izzy's baby. Apparently, Jake is rushed to hospital in a few weeks time so I wonder if the writers will emphasise that Tina still hasn't come to terms with handing him over?

Nothing new really but there's a preview of the next issue of All About Soap here http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=35n4ieo&s=8#.UvobEDNIGSo
    One spoiler says Tina is hurt when Peter offers to pay the rent on her flat and says she isn't a tart and can't be bought. Doesn't that literally epitomise what she is though!

Yep. If the cap fits...

:D:D:D

If there isn't a scene with Peter on his knees, begging Carla to forgive him, I will be disappointed. Throughout the affair Peter isn't thinking about the consequences or feeling guilty but when he loses Carla, it will be a different story. He won't be able to escape from the fact that he has hurt the woman he loves and she will no longer be the person who believes in him.

I agree.
    xVictoriax wrote: »
    Was this always going to pan out like this or was it rushed up once Chris Fountain left?

The latter, I think.
    Forum Member
    Oh gosh, that's made me feel a bit ill. Can safely say I won't be watching.

If we don't have Peter endlessly begging for forgiveness through sobs; if there's so much as a suggestion that he doesn't regard this entire affair as a huge mistake, I promise to never watch another episode again, regardless of how deeply they go into Carla's background, or any other stories until Blackburn is gone.

I've not watched since the funeral, I might tune into the pregnancy stuff as I'm suffering Carla/Ali withdrawal, and I can't even watch old Carter scenes in the same way anymore, they feel so tainted. So I'm rolling back the years to the Connor brother days which was the best period for feisty Carla.

I'm pretty convinced he will be absolutely destroyed, well I hope so anyway. I think that Chris is maintaining that he is completely oblivious to the consequences of his actions and when Carla finds out he will have to deal with the fact that only has he hurt and lost the woman he loves for a cheap thrill, but he will be completely isolated on the street. Guaranteed he will start drinking, while it is true to his character in some ways you just know Corrie haven't got the imagination to think of anything better. We will probably see him wallowing in his own pity, particularly if him and Carla decide to keep the baby, or perhaps if he doesn't find out about the baby till afterwards!
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/scoop/a550258/coronation-street-star-on-peter-affair-latest-he-cant-help-himself.html?utm_source=twt&utm_medium=snets&utm_campaign=Twitter
    More of the same from Chris. I really don't think I'm going to be able to watch at all this month at least, with scenes like he's describing, though.

Why can it not just be May already? I hate to wish my life away, but really...

I found that interview really odd to read. He didn't give a single thing away, it was literally like he was reading off a sheet that had press teasers and spoilers on it. It also enforced the idea IMO that Chris is disillusioned with the storyline, hence the decision to leave. The fact he wants to take a two year break, which fortunately coincides with Stuart Blackburn's tenure may be more than just a coincidence..
    I wish we would get an interview with Ali, she hardly gives any interviews but particularly recently we haven't heard anything from her its been all MK and CG. I assume when the pregnancy stuff comes out there has to be something with her, a TV appearance or magazine interview or maybe a ITV video, anything!

I really do think his decision to leave is because of this storyline. He wasn't even keen on the decision to have Peter cheat on Leanne with Carla, and that was a well thought through storyline that ran from 2010 all the way to the end of 2012 with the alcoholism, Nick/Leanne, Frank, the affair, the trial, the custody battle, LA, Nick and Leanne's wedding and then eventually stability for Carter. It was an extremely accomplished love square, with magnificent performances from all four actors involved. Chris hasn't lost his ability to act, but I find his scenes with Tina so so so cringy. I literaly don't know if its the writing, the acting or just the fact I ship Carter so much. I think the age gap may be a factor, and the absolutely sickening line "what have we just done" "something beautiful" that was when I gave up altogether. I think for us as fans, it's difficult to compare this love triangle/square/five (if you count Rob and Tracy) when we are comparing it to the complex love square and it surely must be the same for Chris and Ali.
    xVictoriax wrote: »
    Given that it sounds as though Chris is generally just peeved off at the writing of his character at the moment do you think it is at all possible once Blackburn goes that he will return? I mean he's got too many ties to the street not to. If Carla kept the baby and Peter left not knowing she had, it would be hard to get Peter's family not to say anything if they assumedly stay in touch and well surely as much as I find Simon bratty he should have the chance to know his half-brother or sister.

It's a pity that they didn't consult with Chris about his write out, hell they could have consulted a class of nursery aged kids who would still likely have come up with a less stupid storyline. Tina is nearer his young son's age than his for crying out loud. Was this always going to pan out like this or was it rushed up once Chris Fountain left? It wouldn't be so implausible if they showed Peter and Carla deteriorating but whilst Tina was in London he was wholly devoted to Carla. Peter and Carla had so much potential and they've just wasted it.

Daft as it may be I don't think Carla will be able to stop herself from loving him even after the affair is revealed and depending how he goes, whether it's on the run from the police or carted off to a prison cell.

He will always have ties to the street, which means he will be able to come back at any time. I'm convinced as soon as SB is gone he'll be back! He has the ties with Ken and Deirdre, he has the ties with Leanne and Simon, he has friends on the street such as Steve and then of course he will always have this tie with Carla and their possible child.

I'm pretty convinced that Tina's exit was that one in the car which they hurriedly put together as a result of Tommy's exit, but then they came up with this big murder plot and therefore the affair had to start again. Ah Chris Fountain, i detest you and your rapping for ruining Carter!

Carla and Peter will always share love, which will be even more intense if they have a child. I wonder what the future holds for her on the street, honestly. Theres so many ways this storyline could go and that it what is so infuriating as a viewer. If I knew their plans for the next few months I could either detach myself completely if it is as shockingly bad as it has been recently, or hang in there and wait till it improves.
    This.

Chris Gascoyne has reiterated that Peter really likes and fancies Tina (quick thrills, passion, lust etc.) but that's about as far as it goes. He says that Carla is the woman Peter loves and wants to spend his life with - and even if Tina was pregnant, he wouldn't leave Carla for her. But as we know, Tina's feelings for Peter are more than lust and (IMO) he is manipulating her. She is infatuated with him and he knows it. He's using it, pouring on the charm so that she'll stay and be his bit on the side.
    I don't care about Tina, though. All her scenes are contrived. Carla has been so lovely to her and Tina has stabbed her in the back - she is a very sly, desperate, foolish, naive girl and I will just be glad when she's gone.
    I think that Carla's pregnancy could push her over the edge. She wants Peter to love her, not Carla - which is never going to happen - and she really wanted to keep Gary and Izzy's baby. Apparently, Jake is rushed to hospital in a few weeks time so I wonder if the writers will emphasise that Tina still hasn't come to terms with handing him over?

If there isn't a scene with Peter on his knees, begging Carla to forgive him, I will be disappointed. Throughout the affair Peter isn't thinking about the consequences or feeling guilty but when he loses Carla, it will be a different story. He won't be able to escape from the fact that he has hurt the woman he loves and she will no longer be the person who believes in him.

Interesting preview in All About Soap, I thought that wasn't going to be on screen till mid/late March but looks like it will be late February instead. This surely means that the affair is going on when Carla is pregnant if they filmed hotel scenes last week. >:( That is just unforgivable from Peter really. Maybe she does have the abortion without consulting him, that would make more sense than him sleeping with Tina, despite knowing Carla was carrying his baby. I'm just so confused.

I do not give a damn about Tina. I cannot wait till she is off screen, which is odd as I quite liked her previous to this. She has been so stupid, naive and blind to the fact Peter is manipulating her so obviously. She gave him an ultimatum, he turned her down so why is she willing to cheapen herself and be his bit on the side when she knows he truly loves Carla and she is the one on his arm in public, and in his bed at night. The fact she is being so nice to Carla and Carla to Tina is so annoying, particularly when its been shown on screen that Carla doesn't really do female friends, bar Hayley which was extremely unique, Michelle who is more like family, and a loose attachment to the factory girls such as Fiz, Julie and Sally. And the fact we're supposed to believe Carla wouldn't know what was going on, she works with Peter, lives with Peter and it has been shown on screen that they are very intune with each other, in terms of knowing when something is up. I just find it absolutely ridiculous and I could rant for about 10,000 words on the topic, but I musn't as I have a politics essay to do! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they'll probably try to make Tina out to be the poor innocent victim yet again if Carla keeps the baby. I haven't seen the Jake spoiler but it sounds like it could coincide with the pregnancy revelation, and I can imagine a scene with Tina crying alone in her flat or whatever. Not that I'll have any sympathy for her, but hey.
    I think the only possible way this story can ever come close to being salvaged is if Peter finishes with Tina as soon as he discovers Carla's pregnant, and she goes into bunny boiler mode. Perhaps if the Jake thing coincides with the pregnancy announcement and Peter ending things, the combination will tip her over the edge and she'll react with something drastic, leading to her death.
    Nothing new really but there's a preview of the next issue of All About Soap here http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=35n4ieo&s=8#.UvobEDNIGSo
    Reading this has made me feel anxious about the pregnancy again. Now it's pretty much confirmed, I'm back to hating it, especially under these circumstances.

There's the same interview with Chris on SoapSquawk, with a few extra bits. First off, he says as long as no one finds out about the affair then Peter thinks no one gets hurt so it's ok, which is making me doubt that he would finish with Tina once the pregnancy comes out, and secondly just Chris reiterrating for the millionth time that Peter would never leave Carla for Tina, and that he wants to spend the rest of his life with Carla, not her. Which is cute and everything, but I can't even be comforted by that any more. This ship has well and truly sunk as far as I'm concerned. I don't think there's any way I could ever ship them again.

Also, in the press release spoilers, it says something like "Peter and Tina's affair takes an unexpected twist - will she dump him?" Do we reckon this is the rent thing, or is the pregnancy stuff going to be earlier than we thought? If it's Tina that suddenly develops a conscience and dumps Peter, with him still chasing her, whilst Carla is pregnant, I will not be impressed.
    Forum Member
    Interesting preview in All About Soap, I thought that wasn't going to be on screen till mid/late March but looks like it will be late February instead.

I think the next issue will be out at the end of February so the spoilers in there will be for the first few weeks of March. I definitely wasn't expecting it to be so soon but then it only mentions that Carla starts acting strangely and suggests that she's hiding something, so maybe she doesn't tell anyone or she just tells Michelle.:confused:
    I think they'll probably try to make Tina out to be the poor innocent victim yet again if Carla keeps the baby. I haven't seen the Jake spoiler but it sounds like it could coincide with the pregnancy revelation, and I can imagine a scene with Tina crying alone in her flat or whatever. Not that I'll have any sympathy for her, but hey.
    I think the only possible way this story can ever come close to being salvaged is if Peter finishes with Tina as soon as he discovers Carla's pregnant, and she goes into bunny boiler mode. Perhaps if the Jake thing coincides with the pregnancy announcement and Peter ending things, the combination will tip her over the edge and she'll react with something drastic, leading to her death.

BIB: Agreed.

The Jake spoiler is in the preview for the next issue of Inside Soap http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2j5b605&s=8 and according to All About Soap, he's rushed to hospital February 28th http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=24e4xz4&s=8
    Also, in the press release spoilers, it says something like "Peter and Tina's affair takes an unexpected twist - will she dump him?" Do we reckon this is the rent thing, or is the pregnancy stuff going to be earlier than we thought?

I saw the "unexpected twist" spoiler in SoapLife (I think:confused:) and I first thought of the pregnancy but this magazine can be very misleading, so I'm probably wrong but I reckon it's either Tina being upset about Jake or Carla finding out she's pregnant, and they've just made it sound like Peter and Tina know about it, even though they don't.:blush: