Are we beginning to see Kate Oates' influence on Corrie?

boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,398
Forum Member
✭✭
Desperately in need of a distraction after the abomination that is Brexit>:(>:(>:(

I know that we won't be seeing Oates's work on screen until September, but are we beginning to see her influence on the production and certain aspects of the writing already? I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I genuinely feel that there's been a Slight improvement since the very underwhelming BGT week. I feel that we're seeing more characters interacting, some interesting friendship groups emerging and a smoother balance between drama and humour. Let's look at some subtle examples:

- Tim inviting Ken, Dev, Freddie and Kevin over for a garden party.
- More of a sense of community- practically the whole street bore witness to Sarah barricading herself in at No. 8. Not just that, but we saw a number of them (Fiz, Alya, Norris, Rita etc) discussing it afterwards. There's a definite sense of people crossing paths in larger circles and less instances of things happening in isolation with pockets of characters.
- the friendship scenes of Eva, Kate and Maria going to the belly dancing classes at the gym and then having drinks afterwards.
- The very subtle and affecting hints at Norris's secret loneliness since Emily's departure. These scenes were very much secondary to what was going on at No. 8 but they are quietly powerful and had a subtle sense of pathos. I highlight the word subtle, because that never appeared in Blackburn's dictionary.

These are just some of things that I have noticed lately. Given that Oates took over at the beginning of April and this week's scenes would roughly have been shot in early to mid May, she'll surely have had a chance to become more hands on with material at that point. All of what we're seeing on screen is still Blackburn's stuff but I definitely think that Oates is making subtle tweaks here and there as we move towards her reign.

Comments

• dulliredullire Posts: 20,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree boogie. Character interaction has been much better in recent weeks. There was a great community feel in last night's episode. This will be vital in ensuring that Kate's stories have maximum impact when they hit. Blackburn seemed to have his favourites, with some characters given slim pickings. There's definitely a different feel to the show.

Also, Jason leaves next week and Kate was on set when he filmed his final scenes. There's still an issue with the amount of spoilers being released. Less is more!
  • Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the OP I think we are seeing her influences, like Maria being on screen a lot more, Todd and Sarah;s connection being explored and Billy's feelings for Todd. The most telling is Leanne getting pregnant by Stevie. Kate Oates is all about affairs and babies.:D
  • notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    Desperately in need of a distraction after the abomination that is Brexit>:(>:(>:(

I know that we won't be seeing Oates's work on screen until September, but are we beginning to see her influence on the production and certain aspects of the writing already? I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I genuinely feel that there's been a Slight improvement since the very underwhelming BGT week. I feel that we're seeing more characters interacting, some interesting friendship groups emerging and a smoother balance between drama and humour. Let's look at some subtle examples:

- More of a sense of community- practically the whole street bore witness to Sarah barricading herself in at No. 8. Not just that, but we saw a number of them (Fiz, Alya, Norris, Rita etc) discussing it afterwards. There's a definite sense of people crossing paths in larger circles and less instances of things happening in isolation with pockets of characters.
    - the friendship scenes of Eva, Kate and Maria going to the belly dancing classes at the gym and then having drinks afterwards.
    - The very subtle and affecting hints at Norris's secret loneliness since Emily's departure. These scenes were very much secondary to what was going on at No. 8 but they are quietly powerful and had a subtle sense of pathos. I highlight the word subtle, because that never appeared in Blackburn's dictionary.

These are just some of things that I have noticed lately. Given that Oates took over at the beginning of April and this week's scenes would roughly have been shot in early to mid May, she'll surely have had a chance to become more hands on with material at that point. All of what we're seeing on screen is still Blackburn's stuff but I definitely think that Oates
    is making subtle tweaks here and there as we move towards her reign.
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    I agree boogie. Character interaction has been much better in recent weeks. There was a great community feel in last night's episode. This will be vital in ensuring that Kate's stories have maximum impact when they hit. Blackburn seemed to have his favourites, with some characters given slim pickings. There's definitely a different feel to the show.

Also, Jason leaves next week and Kate was on set when he filmed his final scenes. There's still an issue with the amount of spoilers being released. Less is more!

Agree with both these posts!!
    Another thing I liked about last night was the whole of the platt family being involved in Sarah's breakdown scenes, along with Todd and even Jason showing concern despite all his issues with them atm!!
    This new community feel & especially the friendships is a vital ingredient in making Corrie not just watchable, but enjoyable again for me!!
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the OP I think we are seeing her influences, like Maria being on screen a lot more, Todd and Sarah;s connection being explored and Billy's feelings for Todd. The most telling is Leanne getting pregnant by Stevie. Kate Oates is all about affairs and babies.:D

I agree that there were a lot of babies and affairs during her tenure at Emmerdale, but she also crafted some incredibly hard-hitting and thrilling storylines involving a lot of the cast. She generated a much needed buzz around the show again, and played a significant role in the show bagging numerous awards and receiving acclaim from critics and audiences.

Todd and Sarah have a complex history dating back to when the show enjoyed a golden period between 2002 and 2004. It's been great to see that rich history explored once again with this storyline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that there were a lot of babies and affairs during her tenure at Emmerdale, but she also crafted some incredibly hard-hitting and thrilling storylines involving a lot of the cast. She generated a much needed buzz around the show again, and played a significant role in the show bagging numerous awards and receiving acclaim from critics and audiences.

Todd and Sarah have a complex history dating back to when the show enjoyed a golden period between 2002 and 2004. It's been great to see that rich history explored once again with this storyline.

I agree Kate Oates did some great stuff, she was phoning it in the last 6 months of her tenure at Emmerdale though. What we are seeing now at Corrie has been good and I hope she's learned from her mistakes at Emmerdale (Ross/Debbie, breaking Zack and Lisa up, ect..) and doesn't repeat them on Corrie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree Kate Oates did some great stuff, she was phoning it in the last 6 months of her tenure at Emmerdale though. What we are seeing now at Corrie has been good and I hope she's learned from her mistakes at Emmerdale (Ross/Debbie, breaking Zack and Lisa up, ect..) and doesn't repeat them on Corrie.

No producer is without their faults. Not every decision she makes will be the right one, but I have enough confidence in her to make Corrie good again. Notice how much screen time Phelan is getting and the link that new character Vinny will have to him. Are we likely to see the pair scheme together to cut corners on a construction job or sabotage some building work to the point that they accidentally cause an entire building to collapse in this "big" October week?
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we Are Already which is great for the Show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No producer is without their faults. Not every decision she makes will be the right one, but I have enough confidence in her to make Corrie good again. Notice how much screen time Phelan is getting and the link that new character Vinny will have to him. Are we likely to see the pair scheme together to cut corners on a construction job or sabotage some building work to the point that they accidentally cause an entire building to collapse in this "big" October week?

I agree, Kate Oates is good at what she does no doubt. I disagree that the show wasn't good though. I've really enjoyed Corrie in its current state, Blackburn made some mistakes but he has also done good things as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt that a lot of the humour under Blackburn was too forced and just didn't work, apart from Sally and Tim. In last night's episodes I found the humour much more believable. Two of my favourite moments were Norris seeing Beth's lingerie and Gail's innocent response to Kylie telling her that Sarah was unwell: "I hope she doesn't have my tickly cough":p
  • WhatYouGonnaDo?WhatYouGonnaDo? Posts: 5,973
    Forum Member

These are just some of things that I have noticed lately. Given that Oates took over at the beginning of April and this week's scenes would roughly have been shot in early to mid May, she'll surely have had a chance to become more hands on with material at that point. All of what we're seeing on screen is still Blackburn's stuff but I definitely think that Oates is making subtle tweaks here and there as we move towards her reign.

BIB: Interesting because all of that is exactly what what was missing from Emmerdale while she was in charge and Iain MacLeod has started to fix. He politely referred to it as making the show feel warmer again ;-):)

If she can put that back into Corrie why did she strip ED of it? :kitty: >:(
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last's night hour long was actually half decent, lots of character interaction and brilliant performances regarding Sarah and the Platts. It's felt less of a chore to watch in the last few weeks too and it is noticeable.
  • David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart Blackburn was still producer when the episodes being shown now were written. People are just seeing what they want to see.
  • Sweet_ChocolateSweet_Chocolate Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Stuart Blackburn was still producer when the episodes being shown now were written. People are just seeing what they want to see.

The forum's logic regarding which producer is in charge is laughable.

When there is a crap episode, it is Blackburn's doing.

However when a half decent episode, Kate Oate's work is starting to show, despite the fact (as you pointed out) he is still producer.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We saw when Phil Collinson took over as producer, some of the later episodes that got closer to his 1st credited ep, the feel of Corrie felt so much more real and had a different flow.

I think there might be a few hints of Oates work, but not enough for me to start watching. Currently its still full of Blackburn crap and I think I may start watching upon Kate Oates 1st episode which wil be I think mid July/Early Sept

I remember the period of Sept/Oct under Phil Collinson when Corrie was at its very best, the exit of Natasha, Lewis Archer - Phil Collinson really made Corrie must-see.

I really cannot wait for Corrie to be strong again so the memory of Blackburn's tenure can only be a past nightmare.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By no means am I saying that it's perfect, but I firmly believe that there are subtle signs of hope.
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen the recent Todd/Sarah stuff but I did see the ep where he helped her when she went into labour. I liked it but what niggled me was that we still hadn't had an explanation for why Todd came back as such a pr*ck, so removed from his original character. Is that still the case? As I like the sound of Todd/Sarah scenes but that's always going to be a barrier for me.

They can't just turn Todd back into a nice guy and hope people will forget about his nasty phase. He was rivalling Tracy Barlow in the sociopath stakes.

I've heard good things about Tina O'Brien's recent performances but like H of De Vil nothing is grabbing me in the spoilers. I think I'll wait/stick to my one episode a month if that routine.
  • RickLopezRickLopez Posts: 14,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We saw when Phil Collinson took over as producer, some of the later episodes that got closer to his 1st credited ep, the feel of Corrie felt so much more real and had a different flow.

I think there might be a few hints of Oates work, but not enough for me to start watching. Currently its still full of Blackburn crap and I think I may start watching upon Kate Oates 1st episode which wil be I think mid July/Early Sept

I remember the period of Sept/Oct under Phil Collinson when Corrie was at its very best, the exit of Natasha, Lewis Archer - Phil Collinson really made Corrie must-see.

I really cannot wait for Corrie to be strong again so the memory of Blackburn's tenure can only be a past nightmare.

Phil Collinson was a great producer, wish we could have had him for longer.

I love scenes with Todd and Sarah as well, they seem to have an emotional impact with me just because I know what they've been through, if they take it further it could become really powerful. I think deep down they still love each other, obvious differences aside!
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is slight improvement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RickLopez wrote: »

I love scenes with Todd and Sarah as well, they seem to have an emotional impact with me just because I know what they've been through, if they take it further it could become really powerful. I think deep down they still love each other, obvious differences aside!

I loved the majority of Phil Collinson's tenure and was sorry to see him go. It beggars belief that Stuart Blackburn was then let loose on the show for over three years. But enough about Blackburn, I have spoken at length of how I hated his work.

Was out for a friend's birthday last night, so just about to catch up on last night's double now, which I'm actually looking forward to.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Oates has got some serious work to do to get Corrie ratings back up and strong again. Last night ratings were around 5.6m and 5.3m.

It wasn't even facing any football. Corrie has never been this low for this period of time.
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The forum's logic regarding which producer is in charge is laughable.

When there is a crap episode, it is Blackburn's doing.

However when a half decent episode, Kate Oate's work is starting to show, despite the fact (as you pointed out) he is still producer.

Agreed. Surely current episodes of Corrie are still Stuart Blackburn episodes?
  • Polly_PerkinsPolly_Perkins Posts: 21,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see a huge improvement, it's currently down to who is writing it.

The other week there were some great scenes - in particular between Michelle and Carla but the show itself feels really weak right now. Of course with any show there are some great moments but that doesn't shy away from the fact that Corrie is still missable.

I am hoping the new producer takes the show back to basics and injects some earthiness and character drama which is sorely missing.

Some of the characters I used to adore I am now bored of as they have veered catastrophically into caricatures.
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kate Oates has got some serious work to do to get Corrie ratings back up and strong again. Last night ratings were around 5.6m and 5.3m.

It wasn't even facing any football. Corrie has never been this low for this period of time.

Corrie received its lowest ever audience on Thursday, with just 4.7 million viewers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    Corrie received its lowest ever audience ovn Thursday, with just 4.7 million viewers.

Ouch, that's an awful rating for the show.
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RickLopez wrote: »

Collinson was there for about 3 years which I think is long enough. Otherwise you get burn out. This is why I think Corrie always promoting from Emmerdale isn't the best idea. It was bizarre that they brought Blackburn in after the mess he'd made of that show.

I haven't watched full-time for years and years but in recent years Collinson is the producer I tuned in most for. He did know how to get people talking about the show and there was always something going on. However, a lot of storylines relied on stunts, sensationalism, characters turning on each other for no reason as well as innocent ones being ostracised completely (Tyrone) by people who've known them for years.

The show was simply too focused on cheap drama and issues under him. I didn't see many of those brilliant character moments one associates with Corrie under him. At least Blackburn has tried to bring those back but because of the subpar writing, many come across as forced and cringeworthy. The whole thing just isn't as effortless as it once was.

I agree with KK in that Corrie's problems actually go further than one person. Kate Oates is coming in to an already assembled team who've been running Corrie like this for years. Even the set has numerous issues eg. too many businesses on Coronation Street itself, Jack and Vera's house being like a museum to them etc.