Radio 3, should be replaced on FM by 6Music?

2»

Comments

• CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    What do mean a little? Are you saying most people don't start driving until they are in their 30's?

No. I was answering your question, from post #23.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilipS wrote: »
    Plus quite a significant amount of talk and drama, particularly in the later part of the evening (Free Thinking, The Essay, Drama on 3, and the arts coverage during In Tune at drive time).

In many ways, 6 Music and Radio 3 share the same ethos and approach - arguably more so than either do with Radio 2. It's a shame they seem to be seen as competing alternatives when they complement each other.

But I do agree that in some ways the BBC is its own worst enemy. Cross promotion to Radio 3 is very limited (when did you *ever* hear someone on Radio 1 or Radio 2 mention something on Radio 3)? Not sure whether that's down to an assumption that listeners to those stations wouldn't be interested (which is patronising) or a fear that the sanctum of high culture should be maintained for the cognoscenti! Or corporate silo thinking. Actually, my money's on the last of those.

Interesting you say that as there was an advert for Brahms Week before The One Show 2 weeks ago and the Proms are regularly promoted on BBC One.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a thought....

Leave Radio's 1,2,and 3 as they are and take Radio 4 off FM and keep it going on Long Wave only?
    Why does a 'Speech Only' network need FM quality anyway? :p

Frees up enough space on FM to accomodate BBC 6 Music whilst keeping the Long wave frequency going which will keep all of the 'Ex Pats' in Europe happy plus the Shipping Forecast lovers? Problem solved!! :D:cool:

Richard Branson seriously (well, as seriously as it could be !) suggested that 20 years ago, so that Virgin Radio could be on FM nationwide.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    No. I was answering your question, from post #23.
    Yes which means what exactly? A little what?
  • SimonjharrissonSimonjharrisson Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Richard Branson seriously (well, as seriously as it could be !) suggested that 20 years ago, so that Virgin Radio could be on FM nationwide.

Hmm, didn't know that but i can see his (historical) point, but obviously the BBC would not have wanted to relinquish a national FM slot for a commercial rival.
    Maybe the BBC would view it differently as it would mean a whole 'new' Network of their own on FM and solving the arguements about Long Wave at the same time? :)
  • PhilipSPhilipS Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Interesting you say that as there was an advert for Brahms Week before The One Show 2 weeks ago and the Proms are regularly promoted on BBC One.
    Indeed - TV can do this (although Proms are arguably as much a TV event) and regularly cross promote between TV channels. For some reason, radio doesn't do it. Never really understood why.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio 5 live could go on FM, while BBC Radio Scotland/Wales/Ulster/local radio AM slots could be the new FM variants of the new DAB equivalents in the event of AM and LW shutdown while 5 live and the other current BBC AM variants all close down on DAB.

Radio 4 LW either becomes the FM variant of Radio 4 DAB, or it just ends its service altogether come LW shutdown.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is a thought....

Leave Radio's 1,2,and 3 as they are and take Radio 4 off FM and keep it going on Long Wave only?
    Why does a 'Speech Only' network need FM quality anyway? :p

Frees up enough space on FM to accomodate BBC 6 Music whilst keeping the Long wave frequency going which will keep all of the 'Ex Pats' in Europe happy plus the Shipping Forecast lovers? Problem solved!! :D:cool:

Radio 4 long wave is not an official BBC Ex Pats station. It's the BBC world service that's the one.

Sure they are free to listen to it while they can still receive it but they would have no right of complaint if (when) UK LW/AM shutdown becomes official.
  • buglawtonbuglawton Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After 7 pm the entire BBC local radio transmitter network could be given over to Radio 6 Music. No loss and much gain.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    buglawton wrote: »
    After 7 pm the entire BBC local radio transmitter network could be given over to Radio 6 Music. No loss and much gain.
    that kinda happens anyways, the local stations start to band together, before joining 5 live at the witching hour.
  • Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    that kinda happens anyways, the local stations start to band together, before joining 5 live at the witching hour.

All BBC local stations put out a regional late night programme between 10pm and 1am. But I think it's still a good idea to put 6 Music on the local networks between 7pm and 10pm and after 1am instead of carrying 5 Live.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont know, seems like a bit of a half and half solution to me, why network with 6 for a few hours, then with your neighbours stations for a few more, than 6 again? meanwhile 6 Music is still not on FM for Breakfast, Drive, and what is easily the best daytime line up on Radio.

That said, no reason local radio cant vary what it carries over night, carry 5 Live during the week, and 6 Music at the weekend, that kind of thing.
  • buglawtonbuglawton Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that a national network of local transmitters goes into a graveyard shift with almost no-one listening does not seem to bother the BBC at all. As usual the BBC bosses would rather see valuable resources wasted to fit in with some unrevealed master plan, than give listeners something they can actually use.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Radio 4 long wave is not an official BBC Ex Pats station. It's the BBC world service that's the one.

I don't think the World Service is specifically aimed at expat British people. According to Wikipedia its aim is to be "the world's best-known and most-respected voice in international broadcasting, thereby bringing benefit to the UK, the BBC and to audiences around the world" while retaining a "balanced British view" of international developments..
  • DigMorrisDigMorris Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    On the actual topic of BBC 6 Music.

I am a massive fan of 6 Music (and probably easily listen to it 20-30 hours a week) but I don't see why they would need to get a slot on FM. They have grown to become a Sony radio award winning, popular station with almost 2 million listeners (briefly overtaking Radio 3), with great music and great DJs as a digital-only station and seem to be doing just fine.

If anything they are the prime example that nowadays a station can grow to become a big player without needing an FM slot.
  • smorrissmorris Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you live in the Outer Hebrides OK. In most places there's very little dead air... well OK, maybe here in east Kent too!
    I'd point out that in most of the world, FM hosts many more stations than London and the South East, let alone places outside London.

London as a capital city has fewer stations available than the capital of any other EU states except Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Austria and Luxembourg, and possibly Denmark depending on how you count.

And yes, I did include Andorra. It beats London by a factor of about three.
    Yes, the '2.2 MHz' national radio plan would require international agreement to alter, frequencies in Europe and Ireland would have to be shifted, there'd be quite a 'domino' effect. As said, a non starter.
    I doubt it would be necessary to move channels in Ireland or France. Belgium, the Netherlands and France have all successfully done reorganisations without much bother on the international clearance front. France have hit problems adding extra channels in Strasbourg, but given Strasbourg already has 22 channels...

But I ultimately agree it's a non-starter, but that's not because it's impossible, it's because the government has been committed to DAB since the 1990s.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    DigMorris wrote: »
    On the actual topic of BBC 6 Music.

I am a massive fan of 6 Music (and probably easily listen to it 20-30 hours a week) but I don't see why they would need to get a slot on FM. They have grown to become a Sony radio award winning, popular station with almost 2 million listeners (briefly overtaking Radio 3), with great music and great DJs as a digital-only station and seem to be doing just fine.

If anything they are the prime example that nowadays a station can grow to become a big player without needing an FM slot.

Which arguably, largely came about, due to the campaign to save it a few years back.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smorris wrote: »
    I doubt it would be necessary to move channels in Ireland or France. Belgium, the Netherlands and France have all successfully done reorganisations without much bother on the international clearance front. France have hit problems adding extra channels in Strasbourg, but given Strasbourg already has 22 channels...

National Irish transmitters follow the same 2.2 MHz plan that we do, at least the 'mirror' of the R2,3,4 and Classic FM sub bands ?
  • mw963mw963 Posts: 3,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=smorris;75219129
    I doubt it would be necessary to move channels in Ireland or France. Belgium, the Netherlands and France have all successfully done reorganisations without much bother on the international clearance front. France have hit problems adding extra channels in Strasbourg, but given Strasbourg already has 22 channels....[/QUOTE]

In the case of France, I'm not aware of any station with a power of more than a few kWs being re-organised, because yes you are right they have had several reorganisations of frequencies of "town transmitters" for their commerical radio stations and networks. But the difficulty comes when you start trying to rejig stations of 10 kW erp and over, and I can think of only a tiny number for which this has happened in France since - say - 1985.

Moving a few piddling relays over here wouldn't be that difficult perhaps, but re-organising the high power stations in the the 2.2 MHz national radio sub-bands would - as others have said - actually be impossible now.
  • smorrissmorris Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moving a few piddling relays over here wouldn't be that difficult perhaps, but re-organising the high power stations in the the 2.2 MHz national radio sub-bands would - as others have said - actually be impossible now.
    The Netherlands did it for Zerobase, and Belgium followed - both added entire national networks to the system. Both did continue using many of the same frequencies at high power near the borders, but they shuffled services and TX sites around, and added many new transmitters.

Also, Ireland added a whole new national network (Newstalk 106-108) in recent years - and we ourselves added a reasonably comprehensive network for Radio Wales, clearing the new high power allocations with Ireland.

All this is admittedly a bit theoretical since in the UK the policy debate is around closing FM down as soon as possible, not trying to fit more into it.
  • DigMorrisDigMorris Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    david16 wrote: »
    BBC Radio 5 live could go on FM, while BBC Radio Scotland/Wales/Ulster/local radio AM slots could be the new FM variants of the new DAB equivalents in the event of AM and LW shutdown while 5 live and the other current BBC AM variants all close down on DAB.
    The whole plan is for the various digital platforms to replace national analogue. With that in mind there should never be a moment where you would have to switch your radio from DAB to FM any more.

That means that moving national stations off DAB onto FM will not be an option, only off FM onto DAB and online. And with Digital Two and DAB+ on the horizon digital capacity is not really an issue.