Options

Radio 3, should be replaced on FM by 6Music?

CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,542
Forum Member
✭✭
as even an MP wants to stick his oar into what the BBC is doing, despite having no authority to do so.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a603428/tom-watson-thinks-huge-success-story-6-music-could-take-radio-3-slot.html#~oSGPgOZvCnuaBi

ok despite the cynical attituide at the opening of this post, I would like to see 6 Music on FM, however that is my personal opinon in the same way it is for Tom Watson, and obviously the BBC can not go with two peoples personal opinon.

I do find it amusing that on the one hand 6Music needs to be protected becuase it isnt main stream, and on the other its god so many listeners it should be on the main stream FM broadcasting band.

What do you guys think?

I am sure a Classic FM would be happy with this.

Comments

• Options
    OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    as even an MP wants to stick his oar into what the BBC is doing, despite having no authority to do so.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a603428/tom-watson-thinks-huge-success-story-6-music-could-take-radio-3-slot.html#~oSGPgOZvCnuaBi

ok despite the cynical attituide at the opening of this post, I would like to see 6 Music on FM, however that is my personal opinon in the same way it is for Tom Watson, and obviously the BBC can not go with two peoples personal opinon.

I do find it amusing that on the one hand 6Music needs to be protected becuase it isnt main stream, and on the other its god so many listeners it should be on the main stream FM broadcasting band.

What do you guys think?

No I think it should stay how it is. 6 Music has done so well on DAB that it's actually promoting the platform. BBC DAB coverage is very good and growing. By swapping the 2 around, it'll weaken the argument for different services on DAB. Plus, I'm willing to bet that 6 Music listeners are more at ease with DAB, compared with Radio 3 listeners.
  • Options
    Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,514
    Forum Member
    What 'authority' does he need to express an opinion at a conference?
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What 'authority' does he need to express an opinion at a conference?
    Mess with R3 listeners at your peril ! :o

The Great and The Good would be on the hotline to BBC supremo Tony Hall within minutes of any such proposal being announced. There would be questions on the floor of the House, and The Times would be a-thundering. The Pillars of Society would be about to come tumbling down, so it would be The End of Civilisation As We Know It. There would be a massive hue and cry to find some scapegoat, who would then be be publicly entwistled.

Far better to boost 6Music by letting it take over R1's FM slot for 6 weeks. There would be very little fuss because the Great and the Good wouldn't notice, and they certainly wouldn't care if it was brought to their attention.
  • Options
    SjsyeySjsyey Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    Mess with R3 listeners at your peril ! :o

The Great and The Good would be on the hotline to BBC supremo Tony Hall within minutes of any such proposal being announced. There would be questions on the floor of the House, and The Times would be a-thundering. The Pillars of Society would be about to come tumbling down, so it would be The End of Civilisation As We Know It. There would be a massive hue and cry to find some scapegoat, who would then be be publicly entwistled.

Far better to boost 6Music by letting it take over R1's FM slot for 6 weeks. There would be very little fuss because the Great and the Good wouldn't notice, and they certainly wouldn't care if it was brought to their attention.
    Just get rid of radio 1 on traditional channels completely, the target audience all listen on the net anyway. Cut its budget by 90% at the same time and only broadcast between 11pm and 4pm as its all the audience are awake for. The money cut from the budget should be used to make a new period radio drama for radio 4.
    NOT AT ALL SERIOUS!!!
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a thought.

Can't we just add 6Music to the FM frequency without removing anything? There is a lot of dead air about. And I seem to remember the BBC have something like 88-93FM.

Surely some re-jigging means that everyone can win.
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Here's a thought.

Can't we just add 6Music to the FM frequency without removing anything? There is a lot of dead air about.

If you live in the Outer Hebrides OK. In most places there's very little dead air... well OK, maybe here in east Kent too!
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you live in the Outer Hebrides OK. In most places there's very little dead air... well OK, maybe here in east Kent too!

Looking at the Radio Times the BBC have the frequency 88-94.6 and there are not a lot of other stations in that bandwidth. They can surely fit in 6Music in there.
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Looking at the Radio Times the BBC have the frequency 88-94.6 and there are not a lot of other stations in that bandwidth. They can surely fit in 6Music in there.
    Not a cat in hell's chance !

It would contradict the precious 'DAB is the Future' philosophy, and there's no way they'd build a new nationwide FM network to duplicate 6Music when they can't even afford to run local radio in the evenings.

It would also need a complete FM network re-plan, so it's simply out of the question forever.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In quieter areas it is quite difficult to add extra services on Band II, you have to find clear channel to receive on with no interference and then a transmit channel that does not interfere with any other sites. Just because it seems quiet down in the valley, it does mean it is the same on a hilltop under most propagation conditions.

Also would cost a huge amount to add an extra service everywhere at a time when there are cutback. Much better to spend that money on more DAB sites which are much easier to add on a satellite fed SFN.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sjsyey wrote: »
    Just get rid of radio 1 on traditional channels completely, the target audience all listen on the net anyway.
    I think the BBC will do that eventually, but not primarily because they want to cater for that target audience. I personally suspect that the BBC wishes to cater for an older demographic and I think there will be more cost cutting and reform of the BBC's radio services. I think there may be a "promotion" of 6Music to FM, but not to replace Radio 3, it'll replace Radio 1 alongside the axing of 1Xtra. It contradicts the idea of DAB as the medium of the future (it isn't, DAB+ is) but FM still has legs.
  • Options
    amorleyamorley Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I think also that we must remember that whilst there are numerous outlets on radio in the UK for "Popular/Light music" there are only two stations for classical music, and only one - Radio 3 - that supports serious musical discussion and the Proms. Our nation would, in my opinion, be culturally much poorer if we were to lose Radio 3.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    Not a cat in hell's chance !

It would contradict the precious 'DAB is the Future' philosophy, and there's no way they'd build a new nationwide FM network to duplicate 6Music when they can't even afford to run local radio in the evenings.

It would also need a complete FM network re-plan, so it's simply out of the question forever.

Yes, the '2.2 MHz' national radio plan would require international agreement to alter, frequencies in Europe and Ireland would have to be shifted, there'd be quite a 'domino' effect. As said, a non starter.
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,636
    Forum Member
    6 Music seems to be successful exactly where it is and encourages digital take up. Why change anything?

The BBC need to do a better job letting the public know that R3 is far more accessible than it used to be.
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Going slightly o/t, but didn't Radio 3 used to carry Prog Rog and experimental rock music back in the 70s? Radio 1's 247 meters was useless for that type of music, and i recall R3 being mentioned / used??
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    Going slightly o/t, but didn't Radio 3 used to carry Prog Rog and experimental rock music back in the 70s? Radio 1's 247 meters was useless for that type of music, and i recall R3 being mentioned / used??

This was mentioned in this thread, there was a show presented by Sunday Times critic Derek Jewell who played what he considered important new rock and pop. Radio 3 also used to have a weekly jazz programme (Tuesday afternoon I think) presented by Charles Fox and often played experimental contemporary music in the daytime.

Then in more recent times there was Mixing It, which played a wide range of contemporary music from a wide ranges of genres including rock, jazz, folk, electronica, world music etc.

The current schedule still includes Late Junction (eclectic mix of contemporary music, 3X90 min every week), World on 3 (world music, obviously), Geoffrey Smith's Jazz, Jazz Line-up, Jazz on 3 etc. There doesn't seem to be as much coverage of alternative rock as in the days of Sounds Interesting or Mixing It, though, and weekday daytimes don't usually include any rock, jazz or experimental music.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sjsyey wrote: »
    Just get rid of radio 1 on traditional channels completely, the target audience all listen on the net anyway. Cut its budget by 90% at the same time and only broadcast between 11pm and 4pm as its all the audience are awake for. The money cut from the budget should be used to make a new period radio drama for radio 4.
    NOT AT ALL SERIOUS!!!
    Do you have any research to back that statement up? I suspect most listeners of Radio 1 listen on FM in the car.
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    This was mentioned in this thread, there was a show presented by Sunday Times critic Derek Jewell who played what he considered important new rock and pop. Radio 3 also used to have a weekly jazz programme (Tuesday afternoon I think) presented by Charles Fox and often played experimental contemporary music in the daytime.

Then in more recent times there was Mixing It, which played a wide range of contemporary music from a wide ranges of genres including rock, jazz, folk, electronica, world music etc.

The current schedule still includes Late Junction (eclectic mix of contemporary music, 3X90 min every week), World on 3 (world music, obviously), Geoffrey Smith's Jazz, Jazz Line-up, Jazz on 3 etc. There doesn't seem to be as much coverage of alternative rock as in the days of Sounds Interesting or Mixing It, though, and weekday daytimes don't usually include any rock, jazz or experimental music.

Thanks for that - I know Jazz Record Requests is still there. Andy Kershaw was also on the line up and Giles Peterson has also presented programmes for them

Its so much more that a classical station, i guess there's a lot of hidden gems on there
  • Options
    PhilipSPhilipS Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    Thanks for that - I know Jazz Record Requests is still there. Andy Kershaw was also on the line up and Giles Peterson has also presented programmes for them

Its so much more that a classical station, i guess there's a lot of hidden gems on there

Plus quite a significant amount of talk and drama, particularly in the later part of the evening (Free Thinking, The Essay, Drama on 3, and the arts coverage during In Tune at drive time).

In many ways, 6 Music and Radio 3 share the same ethos and approach - arguably more so than either do with Radio 2. It's a shame they seem to be seen as competing alternatives when they complement each other.

But I do agree that in some ways the BBC is its own worst enemy. Cross promotion to Radio 3 is very limited (when did you *ever* hear someone on Radio 1 or Radio 2 mention something on Radio 3)? Not sure whether that's down to an assumption that listeners to those stations wouldn't be interested (which is patronising) or a fear that the sanctum of high culture should be maintained for the cognoscenti! Or corporate silo thinking. Actually, my money's on the last of those.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Do you have any research to back that statement up? I suspect most listeners of Radio 1 listen on FM in the car.

I take it you mean, as passengers on the school run?

Surely they could listen via t'internet on their "smart" phones?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PhilipS wrote: »
    Cross promotion to Radio 3 is very limited (when did you *ever* hear someone on Radio 1 or Radio 2 mention something on Radio 3)? Not sure whether that's down to an assumption that listeners to those stations wouldn't be interested (which is patronising) or a fear that the sanctum of high culture should be maintained for the cognoscenti! Or corporate silo thinking. Actually, my money's on the last of those.

I suspect the ethos is "they will find us, when they are ready". (Ready being very much a loaded word).
  • Options
    Forum Member

I do find it amusing that on the one hand 6Music needs to be protected becuase it isnt main stream, and on the other its good so many listeners it should be on the main stream FM broadcasting band.

What do you guys think?

No doubt Classic would be happy.

As someone who has never been able to stay tuned to 6-music for more then 7 minutes (despite several revisits after being encouraged by articles recommending it, although strangely enough I've never had a personal recommendation, or know anyone who has ever admitted to even knowing it exists, never mind listening to it) I would suggest that, if anything, it should replace Radio 2 on FM.

Yes, the masses would complain but If the BBC / government are committed to driving listeners to DAB, that's the way to achieve it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    I take it you mean, as passengers on the school run?

Surely they could listen via t'internet on their "smart" phones?
    Are you taking the piss? Radio 1 is aimed at 15-29 olds so many with in the the target range drive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you taking the piss? Radio 1 is aimed at 15-29 olds so many with in the the target range drive.

Well, maybe a little.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Well, maybe a little.
    What do mean a little? Are you saying most people don't start driving until they are in their 30's?
  • Options
    SimonjharrissonSimonjharrisson Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a thought....

Leave Radio's 1,2,and 3 as they are and take Radio 4 off FM and keep it going on Long Wave only?
    Why does a 'Speech Only' network need FM quality anyway? :p

Frees up enough space on FM to accomodate BBC 6 Music whilst keeping the Long wave frequency going which will keep all of the 'Ex Pats' in Europe happy plus the Shipping Forecast lovers? Problem solved!! :D:cool: