Looking for a HDTV LCD that is sky proof

HI, bascally, with all th non compatible HDMI/HDCP (not sure which it is sky will use?) they dont ever seem to mention the fact that sky will require this connection type to few HDTV. As I'd rather not spend a grand on a tv that next year I will need to replace I was wondering if you guys know any good review sites that speak about all these things, or own sets you would recommend to me?

Im obviously not worried about 1080i, I couldnt afford one any.
I would like at least 1 RGB scart, 2 would be benificial
It needs component hdtv connections for an xbox 360
being able to put the pc on it too would be nice
32" would be nice but I'd be happy with smaller

I know most of you that are tech savvy will already be looking for all of the above, are there any recommendations you could make which offer sky compatability and pc / xbox connections but actually have a good viewing picture?

Thanks!

Comments

• bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky's first generation Sky+ HD box will have componenet output for those people with older HD capable TVs - and after that boxes will be HDMI with HDCP protection only. The 1st gen box will have HDMI with HDCP as well of course.

If you are buying a new telly it makes sense to get a "HD Ready" one - as they are not markedly that much more if you are lookign at LCD and such. I have the Panasonic 32LXD500 LCD - which comes tops in many glossy tech mags for picture and I can say it is a lovely picture - when fed with a decent signal. That old adage "rubbish in, rubbish out" applies as never before! Using a Samsung DVD player with upscaling it is quite breathtaking.

H
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Sky have said no channels so far want to use HDCP.

Take a look at the LCD forums at AVForums.com.
  • meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Souleh, if you want a HDTV that will be 100% compatible with Sky's HD service and Blu-ray/HD-DVD, you need to buy one that is "HD Ready."

See this DS article for details.
  • bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although HDCP will not be used initially - you can bet your bottom dollar it will when suitable mainstream HD recording devices pop up (BluRay, HD-DVD etc). They use copy protection already on Box Office channels - and it's what film studios will insist on for HD...

H
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies! So I basically just need hdmi really?
    The panasonic looks very nice, but I was hoping to spend less than that on it, like I say, a 28 or a 30" would be fine, I'd feel happier if it was under a grand :)
    Any ideas?
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is the 26inch Widescreen Samsung for around £700 which has 2 scarts, and HDMI input, and is HDCP ready. Also features a Freeview and analogue tuner, although neither support high def without the aid of an external box.

Philips also have a similar model for slightly more, but still less than the Panasonics, but I still think the Panasonic still has the edge in terms of picture.

The Samsung has its built in speakers under the screen, so if space is an issue, this might be worth looking at.

Dave
  • Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    How about this?
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=91529

It doesn't have HDMI but it's DVI port supports HDCP so you can use a convertor.
  • Alan58Alan58 Posts: 1,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at the spec for the Philips 32PF9830. It is one of their Cineos range and appears to have more connection options (including 3 SCARTs) than a lot of HD-ready televisions. It is a 32 inch model and probably a bit on the expensive side but I fancy it for when I go HD next year.
    Forum Member
    That phillips scares me, 1800 sheets for a tv :/ I just cant justify it :)

Ill take a look at that samsung in a moment.

Acer AT3201W 32" 'HDTV' High Quality LCD TV

Thats the ebuyer one, does anyone have one? can comment on picture quality, the last thing I want to do is sacrifice picture quality trying to be cheap, if I have to spend the cash I will, but I dont want to for something Im hardly going to notice the difference on if you know what I mean?

Ive seen a 26" model of the same panasonic and its still a grand at cheapest :( I think thats a little too small to be honest, 28/30 I could live with. Dont seem to do a model in that size of the LXD500 range which is a shame.
    Forum Member
    What is the pcmcia slot for on the tv btw? What can be plugged into it and what for? On the panasonic that is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Souleh wrote:
    Acer AT3201W 32" 'HDTV' High Quality LCD TV

Thats the ebuyer one, does anyone have one? can comment on picture quality, the last thing I want to do is sacrifice picture quality trying to be cheap, if I have to spend the cash I will, but I dont want to for something Im hardly going to notice the difference on if you know what I mean?

Yes, got one a few days ago, and all I can say is AWESOME!

Sharp picture, excellent colours. There is a lot of discussion about this one in the AVforms site. Take a look.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Souleh wrote:
    What is the pcmcia slot for on the tv btw? What can be plugged into it and what for? On the panasonic that is.
    Haven't had a look at the panasonic but quite a few tv's have pcmcia slots so you can add a top-up tv cam. Although other tv's do allow you to plug in memory cards so you can show stored pictures.