Options

The North/South Divide - differences?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stewie_C wrote: »
    Nobody has defined where the divide lies, and I'm guessing that it will be different for everyone. In my case, the North/South divide is specifically the M4, with no such place as the midlands. Is there a compass position of midlands - nope! I would also class London as a province of Belgium as it's outside the area of Hardy's Wessex and Devon/Cornwall is also a separate area in the West.

Can't answer the original questions until we all agree where the lines are (if ever:D)

LOL. I was hoping that if the original questions were answered, that we would be able to plot where the line is afterwards based on the data. :D

Seems we're getting into a nice political north/south divide instead though, which is just as informative and educational. :)
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chips with gravy sounds revolting.
  • Options
    Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Geordie and and I do see a Norh/South divide.
    Not only between mainly the Londers and the North (or even rest of the country for that matter). The people of London always seem to have a superior attitude towards the rest of the country.
    Saying that, the other North/South divide is between Geordies and the people from the other side of the river who think they are Geordies but are not.
    I don't know why people think because they are from near Newcastle that they are Geordies. TV tends to get that wrong too.
    The amount of times someone famous from the North has been called a Geordie, when they are infact from Durham etc is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »

Serious? You should try them, bloomin gorgeous..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Huh? Don't you ever pour gravy over your roast potatoes? It's the same thing! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julie68 wrote: »
    Not only between mainly the Londers and the North (or even rest of the country for that matter). The people of London always seem to have a superior attitude towards the rest of the country.
    Saying that, the other North/South divide is between Geordies and the people from the other side of the river who think they are Geordies but are not.
    I don't know why people think because they are from near Newcastle that they are Geordies. TV tends to get that wrong too.
    The amount of times someone famous from the North has been called a Geordie, when they are infact from Durham etc is ridiculous.

What about if they're from Gateshead? Does that make them a geordie? LOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    classixuk wrote: »
    Huh? Don't you ever pour gravy over your roast potatoes? It's the same thing! :p

Somehow to me, it's not :)
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Geordie ACCENT! I suggest you take a look at this link>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geordie

It seems we CAN refer to ourselves as Geordies :p
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somehow to me, it's not :)

Have to agree the chips would go all soggy. I had always kind of assumed it was not the same type of gravy you would have with a roast dinner but appears I am wrong.

Now dont get me started on mushy peas!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about if they're from Gateshead? Does that make them a geordie? LOL

Actually, no they're not Geordies. Wrong side of the River.
    A person from Gateshead is from Gateshead and not Newcastle. Only people from Newcastle are true Geordies.
    I don't know what people from Gateshead are called (Gatesheadians !!!) but they are not proper Geordies,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah, you mean that stuff that looks like guacamole? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Geordie ACCENT!

A Northern accent. They hear a Northern accent and immediately assume they're Geordies.
    The further south you go the more different and perhaps, softer it becomes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree the chips would go all soggy. I had always kind of assumed it was not the same type of gravy you would have with a roast dinner but appears I am wrong.

Chips would go all soggy? They already are, unless chips down south refers to that muck served in McDonalds. LOL

Lovely: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/159928961_001d70ddec.jpg

Half rice/ Half chips and gravy with a buttered bun is even nicer!

What's wrong with mushy peas by the way? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Northern accent. They hear a Northern accent and immediately assume they're Geordies.
    The further south you go the more different and perhaps, softer it becomes.

Poppycock! My accent's the same as the people from Newcastle. Sorry if you don't like it, but that's the way it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chips would go all soggy? They already are, unless chips down south refers to that muck served in McDonalds. LOL

I've never had them but I don't really want to either.
    My sisters used to nip into the chippy on their way home from a night on the town and get fish and chips with curry sauce... Revolting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm from the north and I have to say that roast potatos and chips are NOT the same thing! :eek:
    I've always been a bit repulsed by the idea of chips with gravy but I know lots who love it. *shudders*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, no they're not Geordies. Wrong side of the River.
    A person from Gateshead is from Gateshead and not Newcastle. Only people from Newcastle are true Geordies.
    I don't know what people from Gateshead are called (Gatesheadians !!!) but they are not proper Geordies,

LOL. So some posh git from Chapel Park can call themselves a Geordie, but us bairns brought up in Bensham within spitting distance of the Tyne and a steep walk up Bottle Bank to get home from the toon aren't geordies?

This thread's turning into the North/North divide.

LOL :D
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nope Mcdonalds chips are vile french fries.

Thanks for the attached pic I vomitted!!

Actually had mushy peas once in Blackpool - well you have to - they were actually ok unlike Blackpool!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What puzzles me is how people whine about the mines being closed, yet on the other hand having been suing the government for compensation over illness suffered through spending time down in the mines :confused:
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Buttered Bun?, you tryin to make me sick, where I come from Buns have icing or jam/chocolate in em, try a flour cake, oven bottom cake, or a muffin.but not a teacake they have currants in em.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where you live: Poole, Dorset
    What you call your mother: Mother/ Mama/ Mummy
    What you call your father: Father/ Papa
    A decent house in your city (nice area) would cost: I'm not sure, but there is a house near which is being sold for £340,000 with three bedrooms.
    Takeaway chips might come with: Ketchup, Vinegar
    Current fashion for girl's hair: Layered, any colour.
    Favourite part of a Sunday dinner: Roast potatos
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Poppycock! My accent's the same as the people from Newcastle. Sorry if you don't like it, but that's the way it is.

Poppycock? Poppycock??

LOL. If you were a real geordie you'd have said "H'addaway 'n sh1te man".

:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL. So some posh git from Chapel Park can call themselves a Geordie, but us bairns brought up in Bensham within spitting distance of the Tyne and a steep walk up Bottle Bank to get home from the toon aren't geordies?

This thread's turning into the North/North divide.

LOL :D

To be a "pure" Geordie you have to have been BORN in Newcastle. You can still have a Geordie accent if you live in the North East though.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Geordie civil war brewin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poppycock? Poppycock??

LOL. If you were a real geordie you'd have said "H'addaway 'n sh1te man".

:p

I didn't say I was a REAL Geordie, but I had a Geordie accent :p They've obviously never heard the accent from the people of Consett.