Options

HGV's Doing 70 MPH Plus on Motorways

Kate-Kate- Posts: 272
Forum Member
Hello

This morning, me and my other half were paying an early morning visit to my other half's mother. We only have a small car, Hyundai !10 but it can comfortably manage a cruise at 70mph.

Lorries are limited to 55 mph my other half tells me, yet on the M25, on a long gradient stretch of M-way, 3 lorries overtook us.

This may be rare but I for one cannot beleive that HGV's go alnog at 55mph its more like almost 70mph, how do they get away with it.

Btw, Tesco, and M&S lorries, all well presented and appear to manage just 55mph

Comments

• Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    If they're doing 70, then they must be fiddling their Tachos, because the speed-limit for a HGV on the motorway is 60.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Were they Eastern European plated?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Caldari wrote: »
    If they're doing 70, then they must be fiddling their Tachos, because the speed-limit for a HGV on the motorway is 60.

my other half said that, but aren't HGV's very closely scrutinised and their graphs read?

The lorries were all UK reg

Thanks
  • Options
    blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What i would like to know is when driving on the motorway through an average speed check area e.g 60 MPH can a HGV overtake me when i'm doing 60 MPH. Do they know someone i don't and it's actually set higher than 60 ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    What i would like to know is when driving on the motorway through an average speed check area e.g 60 MPH can a HGV overtake me when i'm doing 60 MPH. Do they know someone i don't and it's actually set higher than 60 ?

i too would like to know
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Kate- wrote: »
    my other half said that, but aren't HGV's very closely scrutinised and their graphs read?

The lorries were all UK reg

Thanks

If they're non digital they can be fiddled

Ta for UK plated answer.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doubt they were HGVs. Just smaller lorries that can go to 70. Where I worked got many pople complaining about our lorries in the 3rd lane, doing 70. It was 100% legal.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once got tailgated on the A43 (a dual carriageway) by an HGV - an articulated lorry. I was doing 60 which is already 10mph above the limit for HGVs. He eventually overtook me and judging by the rate at which he passed I'd guess he was doing 70mph. At the next roundabout (Brackley) he moved into the outside lane on the approach which is something articulated lorries almost never do. I turned off the road so didn't see what happened after that.

One of those 'knights of the road' presumably :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    doubt they were HGVs. Just smaller lorries that can go to 70. Where I worked got many pople complaining about our lorries in the 3rd lane, doing 70. It was 100% legal.

Just because i'm a woman, you taking the P mate??:confused:

The lorries you refer to can de driven on a car licence, the one's refer to are 50 foot monsters

Give me some credit mate.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When your speedo is reading 60mph your actual true speed can be anything between 55ish and 60 due to the allowable error in the speedo. Much more likely to be closer to 55 than 60 in reality.

If the lorry has a much more accurately calibrated speed limiter he could actually be doing a true 60mph while you are doing a true 55mph even though your speedo is telling you you are doing 60.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    I once got tailgated on the A43 (a dual carriageway) by an HGV - an articulated lorry. I was doing 60 which is already 10mph above the limit for HGVs. He eventually overtook me and judging by the rate at which he passed I'd guess he was doing 70mph. At the next roundabout (Brackley) he moved into the outside lane on the approach which is something articulated lorries almost never do. I turned off the road so didn't see what happened after that.

One of those 'knights of the road' presumably :rolleyes:

My other half complained to the police once about lorries over-speeding when we were stopped at morway cafe - the cop said they do their best. to stop all illeagal goings on
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    First thing is, there's no guarantee your speedo' is accurate unless you've had it checked against a GPS.
    You could be going a bit slower than you think you are.
    I used to have a BMW which was only doing a smidge over 70mph at a displayed 80mph.

A mate of mine is a truck driver and he reckons a lot of Irish lorries don't exactly obey the letter of the law with regard to this sort of thing when driving in England.
    I don't know the details but it's something to do with there being separate British and Irish organisations which check tacho's and whatnot.
    To add to the confusion, apparently there's some advantage in Irish companies buying lorries in England too; again summat to do with it being a "British" registered vehicle in Ireland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    When your speedo is reading 60mph your actual true speed can be anything between 55ish and 60 due to the allowable error in the speedo. Much more likely to be closer to 55 than 60 in reality.

If the lorry has a much more accurately calibrated speed limiter he could actually be doing a true 60mph while you are doing a true 55mph even though your speedo is telling you you are doing 60.

Thanks for the reply but i don't buy into that theory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    First thing is, there's no guarantee your speedo' is accurate unless you've had it checked against a GPS.
    You could be going a bit slower than you think you are.
    I used to have a BMW which was only doing a smidge over 70mph at a displayed 80mph.

A mate of mine is a truck driver and he reckons a lot of Irish lorries don't exactly obey the letter of the law with regard to this sort of thing when driving in England.
    I don't know the details but it's something to do with there being separate British and Irish organisations which check tacho's and whatnot.
    To add to the confusion, apparently there's some advantage in Irish companies buying lorries in England too; again summat to do with it being a "British" registered vehicle in Ireland.

thanks but our car has a tomtom and the speed displayed on the speedo in the when when at 72 is actually 70 via gps/tomtom, so out about 1%
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply but i don't buy into that theory.

whether you buy it or not, it's fact that the speedo in your car shows you driving faster than you actually are.
  • Options
    chickpeachickpea Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    whether you buy it or not, it's fact that the speedo in your car shows you driving faster than you actually are.

So those smiling frowning speed signs that show your speed are also wrong as they always show the same speed as my speedometer?
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Error margins by car-:

http://click2how.com/your-speedometer-wrong-can-drive-faster/
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HGVs in the UK by law are limited to a maximum speed of 56mph (or somewhere round there, some are slower, some are a tiny bit faster).
    Are you sure that these weren't foreign trucks, as some countries do not impose speed restricters, Ireland don't, so their trucks can do more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So my speedo is off (could very well be) and every other car, bus and HGV which has passed me in my 9 years of driving has an accurate enough speedo to pass me while driving through an average speed check area ?

VERY unlikely.
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What age were these trucks roughly?
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kate- wrote: »
    Just because i'm a woman, you taking the P mate??:confused:

The lorries you refer to can de driven on a car licence, the one's refer to are 50 foot monsters

Give me some credit mate.

Why are you bringing your sex into it? Very odd.

No, I'm saying that there are lorries that look just like HGVs, that can do 70.

As a woman, you should realise it's not the size that counts.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »

No its not. The limit for all non-car derived vehicles is 60mph on motorways. Anything over 3.5KT is limited to max 56mph as tachos are required.

Its not the tachos that get fiddled, its the calibrate speed limiters that get over-ridden. But any traffic cop worth his salt can spot the fiddlers a mile off - the little drilled holes always givet hem away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was this an uphill or downhill gradient? if it was downhill then clearly the lorries were using the weight of the lorry to gain extra speed, the speed limiter only limits the revs of the engine, it does not apply the brakes, easy for a loaded lorry to do 70mph on a downhill stretch of road.
    Also HGVs are limited to 56mph and most supermarket lorries are limited to 52mph to help save the penguins.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    No its not. The limit for all non-car derived vehicles is 60mph on motorways. Anything over 3.5KT is limited to max 56mph as tachos are required.

Its not the tachos that get fiddled, its the calibrate speed limiters that get over-ridden. But any traffic cop worth his salt can spot the fiddlers a mile off - the little drilled holes always givet hem away.
    Goods vehicles under 7.5T are allowed to do 70 on a motorway. Unless they are articulated or towing a trailer in which case they are limited to 60.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Roadsafetyadvice/DG_178867?CID=TAT&PLA=url_mon&CRE=speed_limits
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Look, the bottom line is that many HGV, articulated lorries that are usually about 50 feet long should not exceed 55 mph on the motorway but they do. The ones with EU plates, they do 70 in the snow.