Brass Eye

2»

Comments

• sorrellsorrell Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must be the only one, but I hated Brass Eye...and for some reason couldn't laugh at the celebrities believing all the crap, I felt a bit sorry for them for some reason..It just isn't very nice! And the Elephant trunk, just the thought of it, even though I know it's not true, I just don' t like, even didn't like **** written on a cow...not even for a joke!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Celebrity Bedlam is not a patch on Brass Eye.

Celebrity Bedlam has a habit of reminding us it's all fake and the celebrities are victims of pranks, and it spoils it. Brass Eye ever once touched the fourth wall and that makes it all the more brilliant.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To have a question in the House of Commons about the evil drug "Cake":mad: (also known as Joss Ackland's Funky Backpack) was brilliant.

Quite often when the news headlines start on TV think to myself "Russia elects cobweb!".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    WE need a Brass Eye special about News Internationals dodgy carryings on re phone hacking, Cameron & the horse etc.

One of the funniest things ever made , the newsflash with Clibe Anderson & Noel Edmonds murder, total genius , let alone the infamous peado special & the Daily Heil etc go bonkers in response.

:)
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching this one episode shows us how weak satire is today. There is nothing to compare to this level of insight on any channel. I wish they'd show the whole series and not just one episode. The good old days when channel 4 didn't just make fun of the mentally or physically handicapped.
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Special moment, the drugs episode:

Chris Morris naked except for a nappy and with a huge red ball on his head, trying to buy a range of imaginary drugs from perplexed dealers (admiring his headgear) on the street at night.

"CAKE - it's a made-up drug"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good thing about 4OD, keeps the shows from ages ago unlike the BBC, been re-watching Banzai as well lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »
    Special moment, the drugs episode:

Chris Morris naked except for a nappy and with a huge red ball on his head, trying to buy a range of imaginary drugs from perplexed dealers (admiring his headgear) on the street at night.

"CAKE - it's a made-up drug"

'Great scene... and given that dealers will often arm themselves to fend off any desperate crackheads... shows the guts Morris' had for his art.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Brass Eye/The Day Today are totally unique in that in one sense they are comedy shows but in another they have a serious political message behind them. This is particularly true of Brass Eye, which shows the worrying idea that celebrities will support any cause that sounds worthy, even if it is a ridiculous made-up cause.

Also, both programmes only had one series so they didn't become repetitive.
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes good to see it being shown, shame they are not showing the Pedo episode though.

Isnt that one on the DVD?
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Mail, and I think the news of the world went balistic.
    It's always a shame when that happens, as with a little more velocity we could have rid the planet of them altogether (science joke)
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Only Morris would dress up as Jarvis Cocker and sing a song about Myra Hindley.

The regular series was hit and miss but the 'special' was superb.

I'm sure there were stupid politicians who slagged it off even though they'd not seen it.

Yep there was at least one

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1335865/Minister-in-Brass-Eye-protest-has-not-even-seen-it.html
  • phasersphasers Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scene with the 'militant pedophile' saying he didn't fancy Chris Morris' son was absolute genius

We'll never see comedy as sharp and innovative as Brass Eye and The Day Today again imo, Chris Morris is a national treasure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    phasers wrote: »
    The scene with the 'militant pedophile' saying he didn't fancy Chris Morris' son was absolute genius

We'll never see comedy as sharp and innovative as Brass Eye and The Day Today again imo, Chris Morris is a national treasure.

Played by Simon Pegg I believe.

The series was genius thiugh!
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    phasers wrote: »

Jam was pretty good too, and Nathan Barley.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Jam is getting a showing tomorrow, along with Darkplace (both a must watch IMO )

I think the greatest irony about the Brass Eye special was that the head of C4 at the time of its broadcast was Micheal Jackson
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brass eye is one of those programmes that shows why Channel4 is still needed. They commission show that would have ITV petrified of offending their mainstream audience (and hence advertisers), BBC living in fear of their charter and viewing figures that would add up to next to nothing on a Sky channel.
    Clearly, Morris would have stayed at the BBC in ideal circumstances, but there was not a hope in hell that BBC execs would have passed a 'pedo special'.

BBC Films were even in initial talks for the 'Four Lions' film, but apparently got cold feet, most likely at the thought of Daily Mail reporters rubbing their hands with glee thinking up the front page headline. The irony being that Four Lions was very well done, thought provoking and well received. Without Channel4 Films, it would have likely been crushed by a cynical, populist, media.
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    Only Morris would dress up as Jarvis Cocker and sing a song about Myra Hindley.

The regular series was hit and miss but the 'special' was superb.

I'm sure there were stupid politicians who slagged it off even though they'd not seen it.

Yep there was at least one

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1335865/Minister-in-Brass-Eye-protest-has-not-even-seen-it.html

I missed it when it was on but because it was shown in a clips show it garnered interest.