The Fall - Gillian Anderson - starts Monday 13th May BBC2

Comments

• Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The episode almost lulled you into a false sense of security as he went about his work as a counsellor. I wonder what happened to the baby sitter - did he drop her off safely or has he got her locked up in his lair with the mannequin?

Also I was wondering if he got his client's husband arrested so that he could move in on her knowing that she now lives alone.

Lots of things to speculate about - a powerful scary episode - but I couldn't watch the violent bits.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    You don't need DNA for footprints in blood. Whilst hardly conclusive, I am pretty sure evidence of that type has helped towards convictions in the past.

Even if they do not have the killer's DNA already on file, if and when they arrest him, having lots of his DNA at the crime scene for once must surely be helpful. Up until now he has been really careful about not leaving any traces at the crimescene, using gloves and washing down afterwards etc. This time he had no chance to wash stuff and he had two violent scuffles with the boyfriend. So whilst it won't necessarily help the police to catch him it will be helpful to make a case if or when he is arrested.

Once they get to the arrest stage it's game over, there won't be any piddling about looking at 3 or 4 different suspects and interviewing them here, we don't have time for one thing.
    Apart from anything else he won't be able to control himself once he's in interview, she'll soon find the right kind of verbal stick to poke him with and he'll bite and 'show out'
    Forum Member
    The episode almost lulled you into a false sense of security as he went about his work as a counsellor. I wonder what happened to the baby sitter - did he drop her off safely or has he got her locked up in his lair with the mannequin?

Also I was wondering if he got his client's husband arrested so that he could move in on her knowing that she now lives alone.

Lots of things to speculate about - a powerful scary episode - but I couldn't watch the violent bits.

BIB He won't '$hit on his own doorstep' in that way, playing silly beggars (sexually) with her I could see that happening.
    One word to his wife and that's going to blow up in his face, even though she doesn't seem to trust the baby sitter.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Going by Stella's theory he shouldn't want to kill either her or the babysitter as they're not professional women so they wouldn't threaten him. He's trying to take the professional women down a peg or twenty. I'm wondering if he perceives the bereaved mother/babysitter differently and although he's obviously creepy around them, that's as far as it's going to go. Guess this will test Stella's ideas!
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going by Stella's theory he shouldn't want to kill either her or the babysitter as they're not professional women so they wouldn't threaten him. I'm wondering if he perceives them differently and although he's obviously creepy around them, that's as far as it's going to go. Guess this will test Stella's ideas!

If they're using Ted Bundy as a reference point, he always killed women who looked vaguely like an ex girlfriend of his, but in the end he got less fussy about who the victims were. With some serial killers they like the risk of getting caught. For example tonight,. he could have left the house when he knew she had company and shelved it for another day, but he carried on anyway.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm just quoting what she has told us so far in her theorising. Usually when writers get the main cop to say things like that it's for a reason but as I say, we'll see. And yes I know some of them like the risk of getting caught.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    I watch it alone too and I can only do it because after I was burgled while asleep I made my small house as intruder-proof as possible. Burglars are just after your stuff but the thought of strangers prowling around and looking at you as you sleep is freaky enough.

This man is so creepy with his cat and mouse game. Last week really frightened me with the bathroom scene.

As mazz said, the mask comes off and we know he's about to murder and I get goose-bumps because we see him go into cold and ruthless mode without a word needing to be spoken. I'm totally intrigued by this man. Is his apparent compassion for his clients genuine?

I don't want this to end in the same way that I devour a book that I'm loving and will read all night to find out what happens and then I feel a bit flat because I've finished what was absorbing me.

Does anyone connect with that?
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    lynwood3 wrote: »
    She thinks he does voluntary work with the Samaritans.

thanks for that i couldn't work out his alibi for his evening jaunts at all
    Forum Member
    owllover wrote: »
    I watch it alone too and I can only do it because after I was burgled while asleep I made my small house as intruder-proof as possible. Burglars are just after your stuff but the thought of strangers prowling around and looking at you as you sleep is freaky enough.

This man is so creepy with his cat and mouse game. Last week really frightened me with the bathroom scene.

As mazz said, the mask comes off and we know he's about to murder and I get goose-bumps because we see him go into cold and ruthless mode without a word needing to be spoken. I'm totally intrigued by this man. Is his apparent compassion for his clients genuine?

I don't want this to end in the same way that I devour a book that I'm loving and will read all night to find out what happens and then I feel a bit flat because I've finished what was absorbing me.

yes that deafening silence when you finish a book you have been totally lost in!!
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.
    planets wrote: »
    yes that deafening silence when you finish a book you have been totally lost in!!
    Exactly!
    Forum Member

Perfectly put, thank you :)
    Forum Member
    Normandie wrote: »
    Yes.

Exactly!
    Perfectly put, thank you :)

it's nice to hear others feel that too :)
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is just really gripping, totally engrossed in it, I would say this is one of the best british dramas in years, can't remember the last time I enjoyed one of our dramas this much, I gave up on Broadchurch cos it wasn't as good as everyone was making out and I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought but this is great, how many episodes are left?.

That girls BF cocked it all up though tonight surely he knew he was no match and a quick call to the police or shouting for his neighbours would have been better than just going for him alone. I think he was going to leave but the girl saw him so he had to do something or all that time would be wasted, he would never get the chance again because she would be under armed guard till he was caught.
    Forum Member
    it's nice to hear others feel that too :)

It is. Reading is a solitary thing for me and although friends and I know what each will enjoy and easily exchange books and recommendations unless the book is exceptional we don't much talk about it.

On the other hand I value this TV forum because I love to hear people's perceptions and I often miss what others didn't.
    Forum Member
    It is. Reading is a solitary thing for me and although friends and I know what each will enjoy and easily exchange books and recommendations unless the book is exceptional we don't much talk about it.

On the other hand I value this TV forum because I love to hear people's perceptions and I often miss what others didn't.

oh i agree...i do love to get lost in a good book but as you say it is a solitary pursuit.

yes again, a good example of your second point was that i couldn't understand why the wife didn't think it odd he was "working" at night...then lynwood said the wife thought he worked for the samaritans at night which i had totally missed!!!
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    I gave up on Broadchurch cos it wasn't as good as everyone was making out and I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought but this is great, how many episodes are left?.

That girls BF cocked it all up though tonight surely he knew he was no match and a quick call to the police or shouting for his neighbours would have been better than just going for him alone. I think he was going to leave but the girl saw him so he had to do something or all that time would be wasted, he would never get the chance again because she would be under armed guard till he was caught.

One episode left.

The BF cocked up because he acted instinctively. No-one knows how they'd react in any shock situation but I'm fairly certain that if my loved one was being attacked I'd jump on the attacker before I reached for the phone.

Edit. How could he surely know he was no match? Have you ever had an intruder? You bloody go for it.
  • BurrercupBurrercup Posts: 265
    Forum Member

I've loved this forum. And unlike some others everyone has been respectful and helpful and I've really enjoyed all the theories. I was out tonight but had to watch this when I came home. Nothing else could have kept me up to this time. Just hope I can sleep now :D
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,644
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    This is just really gripping, totally engrossed in it, I would say this is one of the best british dramas in years, can't remember the last time I enjoyed one of our dramas this much, I gave up on Broadchurch cos it wasn't as good as everyone was making out and I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought but this is great, how many episodes are left?.

There is only one episode left.

What is the significance of the Nietzsche quotation? Anyone worked that out?
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    There is only one episode left.

What is the significance of the Nietzsche quotation? Anyone worked that out?
    One episode left.

Thanks will be a long wait for series two then.
    One episode left.

The BF cocked up because he acted instinctively. No-one knows how they'd react in any shock situation but I'm fairly certain that if my loved one was being attacked I'd jump on the attacker before I reached for the phone.

True you never know what you would do in the situation.
    Edit. How could he surely know he was no match? Have you ever had an intruder? You bloody go for it.

Well after the first beating her took he must have known then, but he might have just thought he could take him with the plank of wood.

Hope the girlfriend survives anyway we never saw her get killed did we?
    Forum Member

BIB Have we seen any compassion?
    We've only had the one couple, haven't we and he was scribbling away making naughty pictures of the wife.
    His little shout about doing a good thing, that was all about revenge and controlling the wife, if you ask me.
    It's all about him, buggerall to do with her.

Didn't anyone else see something that looked a bit sexual from him, when he asked her if her husband was violent during sex or forced her (can't remember which now).
    I think he just recites appropriate bits of script at his punters, pulls it all from the database and decision tree in his head, he couldn't give a flying for them, but does a passable act at looking concerned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Yes, he's clearly not performing well at his job as the fantasy life becomes more and more important; he seems to use the grief sections to sneak in a quick sexual question, hence why Big Jim went after him straightaway - he doesn't have the empathy to realise when he is being inappropriate. He definitely enjoyed manipulating Mrs Loyalist - who I notice had time to put her eyelash extensions in before coming to see him - and as has been said above, my take on that was that he was using the situation for his own benefit (exerting control) rather than for her's.

I can't see him being caught in the next episode, it would have to wrap up too abruptly vis-a-vis the rest of the show's pacing. If they do get him into an interview room, the face off between the two leads will deserve a whole episode to itself. I'm still backing my theory that the wife will turn out to be into a bit of death as well, although I'm not as confident as I was after #3.

I found the whole matriarchal tribe and gay confession scene a bit forced; the Cantona / Gibson scene in the toilet was great however, although I was very surprised because I had assumed Cantona had called the affair off, and was the reason for Gibson distancing herself from men, rather than just being another one of her playthings.

His strength is very impressive, anyone know if they are sourcing that from a real killer, as some have mentioned above that they are with his other traits? Can't think of any other *on-screen* serial killer (I don't know anything about real serial killers) who has been portrayed as physical in that way - Patrick Bateman worked out a lot, but for vanity rather than practicality, and there have been some that have been presented as strong because of their size, but none I can think of who have specifically worked out to be more effective killing machines.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    There hasn't been much to raise a chuckle in this excellent drama but I do admit to a rather wry smile when the killer was counselling that chap's wife and told her that people had a right to feel safe in their own homes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His little shout about doing a good thing, that was all about revenge and controlling the wife, if you ask me. It's all about him, buggerall to do with her.
    I think he may believe he's done a good thing... but equally, as much as getting her out of an abusive situation, I thought it might be controlling the wife as revenge against the husband who has physically and / or verbally attacked Spector twice. Spector can't attack him - despite probably being the husband's physical superior - so the payback has been getting the wife to leave abusive (to both wife and Spector) husband.
  • KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really loving this series - didn't want last nights one to end. Will be interesting to see how they conclude this series, considering we know it is meant to end on a cliffhanger. I am going to assume this means that Paul isn't caught.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neutralned wrote: »
    I found the whole matriarchal tribe and gay confession scene a bit forced...
    I did too... but in retrospect I wonder if I found it a bit shoe-horned in because Gibson doesn't react in the way that most people would feel they had to react when being given a piece of very personal information like sexual orientation. You'd expect most people to give some sort of indication that it doesn't matter / is none of their business / what she chooses to do in her private life... etc.

Contrarily, and maybe displaying her own lack of empathy? - Stella just smiles, doesn't find it necessary to comment at all - particularly with any trite banality - and just carries on painting her nails.