Top Gear

Comments

• SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Yeah ..... you would do that, risking serious injury.

But, like you, I simply accept it for what it is, without the earnest over-analysis.

As I understand it, there are ways and means in film and media to replicate action and violence. I think there may be special people who get employed just for this sort of thing.
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    I know this show is heavily scripted and set up, but the bike crash looked genuine to me and I don't think it was faked in my opinion.

I've no idea whether it was faked or not, but in filming terms Top Gear is very professionally made, so I expect they show exactly what they want to show. If they chose to fake it, then it would look like they hadn't.
  • John_DarylJohn_Daryl Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    The other point they made in the studio was that in the last cross-city race, the car was third and the cyclist won. I think it was scripted this time to let the car "win". There was no urgency in Hammond trying to procure a replacement bike, it was all fairly calm.

But it is done pretty convincingly to suggest it was a race.

Of course its scripted as to who wins, always has been and always will be. Its amazing how at least 2 of the 3 always manage to arrive at the final destination at the same moment, no matter how far or long they have been travelling.
    The bring enough spares around the world to rebuild about 5 cars whenever they do their "specials" but somehow couldn't manage to have a back up "bike" in case of need for this one!!
    Yes, its "entertaining to watch" if you disengage your brain whilst watching it but surely to goodness, ANYONE who thinks these "challenges" are genuine and that 90% of all the "incidents" that happen during them aren't set up, really needs to have a hard and long look at themselves!!
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ‘coming up this series’ bit included what looked to be a Top Gear UK vs Top Gear USA race, which should be good.
    For anyone who watched Top Gear USA on BBC Three a few years back you’ll know that the 3 US presenters have a similar chemistry to ours. It was different, but the same. And I liked it.

It’s a shame Top Gear USA was dropped by BBC Three as it was good to watch while Top Gear UK is off the air. In fact I’m still amazed that Dave haven’t picked up Top Gear USA, unless BBC Worldwide won’t sell them the rights for some reason.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    They said on the preview show that Top Gear is the most watched factual programme in the world, but even the 3 presenters laughed at the factual but.

Great 1st episode.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    As I understand it, there are ways and means in film and media to replicate action and violence. I think there may be special people who get employed just for this sort of thing.
    Yep, stuntmen.

It did look remarkably like Hammond's face ......... or a spookily similar body double with an uncanny facial likeness.

Where will these theories end I wonder? Can people actually watch (and enjoy) a programme without dissecting it to the nth degree?
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tumble off the bike looked to be the most genuine part of the show. Not that I care whether it is scripted or not. It's good telly, and like any telly, if you don't like it switch off and let those who do watch it in peace.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    The scripting now is kind of beyond a joke.... like a joke that has worn incredibly thin. Clarkson saying "the producers don't know I'm going to say this...." followed by canned laughter. The fake races with dull scenes of the Stig coming to terms with real life (BTW, anyone else think the stig is Matt Neal?), Clarkson pretending to be out of control in the hovercraft, May pretending to get lost, Hammond being the angry little man on a push bike, the foregone conclusion of who will win this time.
    And Clarkson kissing Sheeran's behind in a sycophantic way that would make even Michael McIntyre's chatshow style blush.

I'm all for entertainment shows (scripted or otherwise), it's just a shame TG has to pretend that it's not scripted.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    cribside wrote: »
    The scripting now is kind of beyond a joke.... like a joke that has worn incredibly thin. Clarkson saying "the producers don't know I'm going to say this...." followed by canned laughter. The fake races with dull scenes of the Stig coming to terms with real life (BTW, anyone else think the stig is Matt Neal?), Clarkson pretending to be out of control in the hovercraft, May pretending to get lost, Hammond being the angry little man on a push bike, the foregone conclusion of who will win this time.
    And Clarkson kissing Sheeran's behind in a sycophantic way that would make even Michael McIntyre's chatshow style blush.

I'm all for entertainment shows (scripted or otherwise), it's just a shame TG has to pretend that it's not scripted.

You seem to only deal in absolutes (like a Sith! :blush:)

The reality is that some is scripted and some is not. Their races are real, that's why they do them. I am sure Hammond did not want to fall off and did not want traffic to pull out in front of him. I'm sure Jeremy is not an expert driver of a large hovercraft (do they have them in Chipping Norton?) and they didn't know who was going to win the race, why would they?

Stop being so over the top with conspiracy theories. And stop watching it!
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Canned laughter? they've got a live audience lol. Amazing how people have to try make things up to try and prove their point.

It's still entertaining to me that's why I still watch it. If there's a time I get bored of it, like other shows, I will just simply give up on it and not waste my time commenting or watching it any more.
    Forum Member
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    The other point they made in the studio was that in the last cross-city race, the car was third and the cyclist won. I think it was scripted this time to let the car "win". There was no urgency in Hammond trying to procure a replacement bike, it was all fairly calm.

But it is done pretty convincingly to suggest it was a race.

Nonsense. They didn't even like the car. They are real races, they have said so numerous times. It is easier to race than script and act a facsimile to minute detail.

I'm sure Hammond would have been quite keen to put the bike through its paces.
    Forum Member
    Saigo wrote: »

The reality is that some is scripted and some is not. Their races are real, that's why they do them. I am sure Hammond did not want to fall off and did not want traffic to pull out in front of him. I'm sure Jeremy is not an expert driver of a large hovercraft (do they have them in Chipping Norton?) and they didn't know who was going to win the race, why would they?

It's hardly a conspiracy theory to say that there's too much scripting in it. Of course Clarkson could control the hovercraft as he demonstrated by driving under the bridges without hitting them, and mounting the beach without hitting anyone. My gripe is there's too much scripting in it. And it's naive to say the whole race thing isn't scripted. They had to make amends for the car losing last time.

I think TG viewers fall into 2 categories. Those who defend it to the death and those who are sick of the scripting but still watch it. I used to love it and still enjoy the reruns on Dave but it seems to et more ridiculous with each series. I'm well aware the masses disagree though, hence TG Live going from strength to strength and making all the 3 actors, sorry, presenters very very rich.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member

Good luck then. Their staying power is certainly greater than mine. Anyway at 77, I may not be around to see just how far they can perpetuate their crass nonsense under the guise of entertainment.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think TG viewers fall into 2 categories. Those who defend it to the death and those who are sick of the scripting but still watch it.
    I think there's 3 categories... 3 those who go over the top with conspiracies and unable to enjoy light entertainment.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

What I've read is, the races are rigged only to the extent that the TG researchers work out a race concept, calculate roughly how long it'll take to get from A to B by various means and then match up those of a similar duration.
    Forum Member
    It's hardly a conspiracy theory to say that there's too much scripting in it. Of course Clarkson could control the hovercraft as he demonstrated by driving under the bridges without hitting them, and mounting the beach without hitting anyone. My gripe is there's too much scripting in it. And it's naive to say the whole race thing isn't scripted. They had to make amends for the car losing last time.

There is no basis for any of those statements.

And they didn't need to make amends for anything. If their races are scripted then why did they let the car lose the last time anyway?
    Forum Member
    There is no basis for any of those statements.

And they didn't need to make amends for anything. If their races are scripted then why did they let the car lose the last time anyway?

Just for fun. They can do whatever they like.

As for the hovercraft... do you seriously think the producers, local council or even Clarkson himself would seriously put himself at genuine risk of being able to crash a hovercraft into a bridge stantion, person or other boat? It was funny how he could control it when he wanted and appear to be out of control when he wanted. He even managed to perfectly flatten the conifer in the garden.
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nonsense. They didn't even like the car. They are real races, they have said so numerous times. It is easier to race than script and act a facsimile to minute detail.

I'm sure Hammond would have been quite keen to put the bike through its paces.

Of course it's easier to race than script. However, if they are left to simply race, then would it make good TV? It wasn't just an accident that JC decided the river was too busy and dangerous and so went via the canals, only to find that the hovervan was just too high to get under the canal bridges and so JC had to drop the cushion, and so risk being swamped. It was planned that way. It was planned that JM would drive a city car, only to find that an ordinary car would have been as good on the types of roads and traffic he encountered.

RH's fall looked real, but the aftermath of him borrowing a bike, (and finding it was actually rideable and not just a heap) and quickly setting up the camera looked false. Why bother with the camera if he was in a race. He still had the motorcycle cameraman.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I for one look forward to the next three years of the same Top Gear discussion thread. :D

"I liked it."
    "It was rubbish, immature nonsense - like the last couple of series"
    "Then why do you keep watching?"
    "To see how bad it gets. See you next week."

"I laughed at that bit."
    "That bit was obviously scripted."
    "So?"

"I am entertained by this programme."
    "It's not supposed to be entertaining, it's supposed to be factual. Maybe it will be next year."

"Why so they get paid for this rubbish?"
    "Because they're successful at what they're doing."
    "They're doing it wrong."

I don't know which is more circular... Top Gear scripting or the 9-year Doctor Who ratings crisis. :p
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I think TG viewers fall into 2 categories. Those who defend it to the death and those who are sick of the scripting but still watch it.

...I'm well aware the masses disagree though, hence TG Live going from strength to strength and making all the 3 actors, sorry, presenters very very rich.
    Woodbine wrote: »
    I think there's 3 categories... 3 those who go over the top with conspiracies and unable to enjoy light entertainment.
    Make that four - those of us who realised at an early age that light entertainment tv programmes aren't factual documentaries but are contrived humourous shows that gives us a bit of a larf of an evening.

There are a million things to be bothered about; being so put out that TG might have had a bit of thought put into it to give it some form in the shape of a story arc (as opposed to flying all the way to Russia and hoping some worthwhile footage comes out of it all) isn't high up on the list of things that warrant repeated whinging & claiming that it's all a set-up. Big deal. It's fun, it makes for enjoyable tv. If you're that bothered, watch the midwife thing instead, but just be aware that that too is scripted and - I've heard - the actors may not always be conveniently pregnant for the shoot.

BTW BIB is the crux of your dislike by the looks of things. Three presenters at the top of their game, hugely popular, rich beyond the dreams of avarice. Mebbe that's what your beef with them is all about. I'd just live with it. As long as you aren't paying to see TG Live, it's not your money. The rest of us can choose whether or not to see the show.
  • John_DarylJohn_Daryl Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As for the hovercraft... do you seriously think the producers, local council or even Clarkson himself would seriously put himself at genuine risk of being able to crash a hovercraft into a bridge stantion, person or other boat? It was funny how he could control it when he wanted and appear to be out of control when he wanted. He even managed to perfectly flatten the conifer in the garden.

You're wasting your time trying to convince the gullible in here who think the "races" aren't scripted!!.....
    These "challenges/races" are just a bit of "fun" and people should take it or leave it for what it is, but for goodness sake, they should not seriously be thinking that its not very heavily scripted and "fixed"!!!
    What "world" do some people live in these days?!!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was suspicious from the start when he claimed not to understand any of the controls that were marked in Russian. I am sure he had some tuition and practice as well as an experienced hovercraft driver to do some parts.
  • marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if it's scripted, there can be unexpected events. So i don't believe in absolute.
    I know there a good percentage of script but how much? Is it 47.2 or 74.1?
    Even if it were not script and a university did the test, it wouldn't be scientific with just one try because life can be unpredictable. We all know that, i think and hope.
    So if the result is entertaining, why not?
    I rewatched the old cheap Alfas special and although it's true they are doing some of the same, they are getting much better at being silly for our pleasure.
    As for the hovercraft, i think Clarkson is not very good at it but that there was a real driver in the back just in case.
    Of course part of it is scripted, i'm sure it wasn't even the real Stig in the subway; some say he's allergic!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    The ‘coming up this series’ bit included what looked to be a Top Gear UK vs Top Gear USA race, which should be good.
    For anyone who watched Top Gear USA on BBC Three a few years back you’ll know that the 3 US presenters have a similar chemistry to ours. It was different, but the same. And I liked it.

It’s a shame Top Gear USA was dropped by BBC Three as it was good to watch while Top Gear UK is off the air. In fact I’m still amazed that Dave haven’t picked up Top Gear USA, unless BBC Worldwide won’t sell them the rights for some reason.
    Although it's a shame that is another rehash of a past challenge it should be good. IIRC one of the US presenters is a pro driver.
This discussion has been closed.