Options

"Not responding" message

Yesterday and today (so far) I have been getting the "Not Responding" message on my computer :eek:.

This message repeatedly appeared this afternoon when using software as I tried to look at some digital photographs I had taken and transferred to a DVD disc. The computer screen kept freezing and clouding over. The same thing happened when I tried to run a CD disc of photographs.

The "not responding" message also appeared yesterday evening when I used the browser but it has (so far) not returned when I started using the same browser a few minutes ago.

I ran CCleaner yesterday after the "not responding" message appeared. The anti-malware software found nothing.

My computer uses the Windows Vista operating system.

Thank you :cool: to anyone who replies to this thread with helpful advice.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is nothing fundamentally wrong with a message saying that an application is "not responding".
    In your particular case it sounds like you are simply trying to do more than your computer can manage. You say that:
    This message repeatedly appeared this afternoon when using software as I tried to look at some digital photographs I had taken and transferred to a DVD disc.

You don't say exactly what you were doing, but at a guess your computer was trying to load several photos at the same time and probably running out of memory or running low on disk space.
    I made a mistake on my old laptop by attempting (by accident) to open over 100 photos and I think I had to wait about 10 minutes to get back control. In my case as well as not responding I also got several popups saying that the system was running low on memory - probably more extreme than your case, but I think it sounds like a similar problem.

If you can get the computer to respond then try running the task manager (using Ctrl-Shift-Esc) and see how much memory is in use compared with the physical memory on your system. Checking how much CPU and memory is being used by various processes might also help to understand what is happening.

If you can then the solution is probably to be more careful and limit how many pictures you are trying to open at once. So you might want to avoid using Explorer to browse the photos - something like Picasa might manage it better.
  • Options
    radiosgaloreradiosgalore Posts: 5,348
    Forum Member
    This message has always annoyed me as Its not accurate in the least and isn't even possible. A program is controlled by the OS and cannot just 'not respond'.
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A program is controlled by the OS and cannot just 'not respond'.

Vista is a pre-emptive operating system, meaning that Vista doesn't have to wait to get control back from a program. A program can still fail to respond though.
    I only get this message when doing something very hardware intensive and clicking the "close" button on the application. If I choose to wait it will usually have a natural point in the process where it can respond with the a cancel / continue in the application more gracefully.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Thank you for your helpful reply :cool: JPB2.
    JPB2 wrote: »
    There is nothing fundamentally wrong with a message saying that an application is "not responding".

I think that there might be in this case - the message has been appearing after I turn the computer on and click on almost any icon on the desktop. If the icon works the 'Programme not responding' message has - in may cases - been appearing when I have been using the software.
    JPB2 wrote: In your particular case it sounds like you are simply trying to do more than your computer can manage.

The 'Programme not responding' message often appears before I have opened any software (i.e. it is displayed after I click on various desktop icons).
    JPB2 wrote: You don't say exactly what you were doing, but at a guess your computer was trying to load several photos at the same time and probably running out of memory or running low on disk space.

I have been clicking on the desktop icons for the browser and for my Internet Service provider and keep getting the 'Programme not responding' message. It has even appeared repeatedly when I clicked on the anti-virus software icon.
    JPB2 wrote: In my case as well as not responding I also got several pops ups saying that the system was running low on memory - probably more extreme than your case, but I think it sounds like a similar problem.

I am sorry to read of the problems you have been having with the 'Programme not responding' message.

There is no shortage of space on my computer - it mostly empty. Running more than one programme at the same time or lack of memory on the computer is not a cause of this problem on my computer.
    JPB2 wrote: If you can get the computer to respond then try running the task manager (using Ctrl-Shift-Esc) and see how much memory is in use compared with the physical memory on your system.

Thank for your advice (above). I will do this.
  • Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no shortage of space on my computer - it mostly empty. Running more than one programme at the same time or lack of memory on the computer is not a cause of this problem on my computer.
    You've got confused, memory is not the same as hard drive space. Memory = RAM.

When you get 'This program is not responding', then go into Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and go into the Applications tab. Which one says Not responding under Status?