Options

Longest Running Soap Stars

LiverpoolFCGirlLiverpoolFCGirl Posts: 15,506
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi Everyone! :D
Just thought we could discuss how long various soapstars have been in the soaps, who has been in longest, etc. I think Ken Barlows got the best record (hasn't he been in it since the start)? In regards to Corrie there's also Deirdre, Fred Elliot, the Platts and even Simon Gregson has been there a while now. For Eastenders at a guess I would say Dot has been there longest but I couldn't say for sure- I'm sure there are plenty of other people who have been there a while to.
As for the Aussie ones, I believe Sally/ Alf from h&a have been there longest whereas Lou and Harold have been in Neighbours a long time too.
I think it's an interesting topic. Is there anyone else anyone can think of (i'm sure i've missed plenty)? Also, which soap seems to be the best at hanging onto their stars. It seems easiest to say Corrie, but it's hard because it has obviously been running longest. :)

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Adam Woodyatt (Ian Beal) is the Ken Barlow of Eastenders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol- I can't believe I forgot Jack & Vera! :p
  • Options
    torreviejaladstorreviejalads Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 2000 Ken Barlow was named the WORLDS longest serving soap resident.
    Don't forget Emily (1961), Rita (1964) and Betty (1969) .
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Ken Barlow has indeed been there since day one,episode one. I'm pretty sure Emily Bishop is the next in line in the long running stakes.

In EE - I think Pauline and Ian have been there since day one with uninterupted runs, Dot did leave for a while, but is an original character, Sharon and Den are both also originals, but have obviously left for extended periods and returned at various times.

I'll add Hollyoaks into the mix - I think only Tony is left of the originals, although Mandy turned up not that long after it started.
  • Options
    JamfocusJamfocus Posts: 7,024
    Forum Member
    Is'nt pauline (wendy richards) also the longest running star of eastenders with Adam?
  • Options
    Benc533Benc533 Posts: 3,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Everyone! :D
    Just thought we could discuss how long various soapstars have been in the soaps, who has been in longest, etc. I think Ken Barlows got the best record (hasn't he been in it since the start)? In regards to Corrie there's also Deirdre, Fred Elliot, the Platts and even Simon Gregson has been there a while now.

Ken Barlow has been in Coronation Street since the first episode in 1960.

Next remaining cast member is Emily Bishop who first appeared just a couple of months after Ken, in 1961.

Rita first appeared in 1964, but did not become a regular until 1972.

Betty started in 1969.

Deirdre first appeared in 1972 and Tracy was born in 1977.

1974 saw the arrivals of Vera, Blanche and Gail.

Mike Baldwin first appeared in 1976.

In 1979, Jack and Audrey joined the cast.

Kevin Webster first appeared in 1983, along with Curly Watts, with Martin Platt and Sally Webster following in 1985 and 1986 respectively.

Simon Gregson first appeared as Steve in 1989, so he has been on the show for well over 10 years, nearly 15. Fred Elliott appeared in 1994.
  • Options
    JamfocusJamfocus Posts: 7,024
    Forum Member
    Has'nt Sally Webster been it a while now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll add Hollyoaks into the mix - I think only Tony is left of the originals, although Mandy turned up not that long after it started.
    I was going to put them but then I thought the opener was getting a bit to long :D Was hoping someone would bring it up though! I did think that as it's not been on long it won't really dent the real long runners! :rolleyes:
    What about Ian and Pauline then? Do we think they will end up being as loyal long servers as Ken/ Emily, etc, given the chance?
  • Options
    torreviejaladstorreviejalads Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Tracy really counts. After all, Is it 4 Tracy's we've had - so to speak.
  • Options
    TheWalfordOneTheWalfordOne Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Not that I relish bringing comparison between EastEnders and Coronation Street, as squabbles tend to ensue, but there are a couple of interesting parallels that have been brought up: it's probably true that Ian Beale is the Ken Barlow of EastEnders (started off as a token youngster, often in relationships, often pointless, slightly annoying voice), and Emily Bishop turned up a couple of months into Corrie's run, as fellow religious enthusiast Dot Cotton did in EastEnders'. Interesting little parallel line.

I think characters like Pauline Fowler (as Krycek says, an original), and some who turned up pretty much at the start (Pat Wicks was only a couple of years out, and whats a couple of years in continuity purposes?) who seem to be 'lifers' in the Square, are equatable to the Streets residents who stayed on the cobbles for pretty much twenty years (Elsie Tanner, Annie Walker). Some will stay forever (Beale, Barlow), many will fly by in no time (blink-and-you'll-Eddie-Royle), and a few will stay for a chunk of time (Ethel, Elsie).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What about Ian and Pauline then? Do we think they will end up being as loyal long servers as Ken/ Emily, etc, given the chance?

I'd pretty much guarantee it, at least with Ian, he is truely the Ken Barlow of the Square - could he be anything else except Ian Beale? I do think he's a much under rated actor though, one of those you don't really realise how good he is, because he is so good. Wendy Richards? I think she knows which side her bread's buttered, I don't see her leaving except if she's pushed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmmm. What about Brookie- I never watched it but there was that one bloke who was in it a while (Jimmy Corkhill). Please don't jump on me if I have it wrong!
    I also think Ian Beale is Eastenders equivelent of Ken Barlow. Why don't we make this a really friendly thread? :D It has been so far but why not agree to show no bias or attack each other in advance. Prevention being better than cure and all that. :p
    I didn't really watch Crossroads much either- was anyone in that for long?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mmmm. What about Brookie- I never watched it but there was that one bloke who was in it a while (Jimmy Corkhill). Please don't jump on me if I have it wrong!
    I also think Ian Beale is Eastenders equivelent of Ken Barlow. Why don't we make this a really friendly thread? :D It has been so far but why not agree to show no bias or attack each other in advance. Prevention being better than cure and all that. :p
    I didn't really watch Crossroads much either- was anyone in that for long?

Jimmy Corkhill was in there a while but he wasn't an original - although probably the longest serving cast member. From what I remember, and I could be very wrong here, but Sheila Grant was the last original to leave, she left with Billy Corkhill, Jimmy's brother. From my very sketchy memory, Jimmy only turned up after Billy had arrived in the close.
  • Options
    SafraSafra Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Here's a longest running soap star for you:

Helen Wagner has played Nancy Hughes on the US Soap 'As The World Turns' since its first episode on April 2, 1956.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why don't we make this a really friendly thread? :D It has been so far but why not agree to show no bias or attack each other in advance. Prevention being better than cure and all that. :p

I like your thinking :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Wendy Richards? I think she knows which side her bread's buttered, I don't see her leaving except if she's pushed.
    God, I hope she gets pushed soon! :D Then again, I suppose it would be mean to chuck someone out who was there so long! At least give her a storyline though. Please? It wouldn't feel right if Ian wasn't there though. He should stay, I reckon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Safra wrote:
    Here's a longest running soap star for you:

Helen Wagner has played Nancy Hughes on the US Soap 'As The World Turns' since its first episode on April 2, 1956.

Quite a long time then! Is that continuous though? I just ask because someone said Ken Barlow was officially the longest runner.
  • Options
    SafraSafra Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Yes it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    God, I hope she gets pushed soon! :D Then again, I suppose it would be mean to chuck someone out who was there so long! At least give her a storyline though. Please? It wouldn't feel right if Ian wasn't there though. He should stay, I reckon.

Definatly, he's part of the fabric of the Square, he's one of those characters that you'd only miss once he was gone, he's a far better actor then ever given credit for. I actually think Wendy Richards is fairly apaulling 75% of the time as Pauline, someone like June Brown really shows how it should be done - she's a class act.
  • Options
    Benc533Benc533 Posts: 3,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimmy Corkhill was in there a while but he wasn't an original - although probably the longest serving cast member. From what I remember, and I could be very wrong here, but Sheila Grant was the last original to leave, she left with Billy Corkhill, Jimmy's brother. From my very sketchy memory, Jimmy only turned up after Billy had arrived in the close.

I think Brookie's longest cast member was Jimmy Corkhil, after him I think it was someone really unthinkable, like Katy Rogers.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not television but still a soap.

Norman Painting aka Phil Archer beats Ken Barlow. The Archers started in 1950 and I'm pretty sure Norman Painting holds the world record for playing a soap character.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What about Seth Armstrong (1978-2003) in Emmerdale (re Farm)?
  • Options
    teenage-monkeyteenage-monkey Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Australian soaps..

Neighbours: When Helen died, it was the last of the originals. Harold has been in it since about his first guest appearance in 1986, but he had a long break. Lou has officially been in it since 1992, but the first Loui was a guest appearance earlier on.

Sally and Alf have been in Home & Away since day one. Colleen was a guest character very early on and then became full only a few years ago. Fisher left quite a few months ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't start watching Emmerdale till this year, but I still think of seth when it's mentioned. lol. :o:p I always forget the Archers because I just think of the tv soaps but that's a pretty impressive lifer as well. :) I was waiting for someone to mention the Aussie ones! I pointed them out at the start- I think it's a bit easier with them than some of ours because there don't seem to be as many people who stick around. ;)
  • Options
    TheWalfordOneTheWalfordOne Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    I actually think Wendy Richards is fairly apaulling 75% of the time as Pauline, someone like June Brown really shows how it should be done - she's a class act.

I know i'm in the minority, but I think Wendy Richard has been great on the show this year. She was overcast badly in the late 90s by then EP Matthew Robinson in favour of flashier, thinner, more lowest-common-denominator popularity characters like Steve and Mel Owen. But since the Fowlers regained their promenance in the Fowler/Mitchell War, I think Richard has got better and better. The comedy stuff this year with Dot, the emotional scenes at Mark's funeral, the nostalgic dialogue in the Disaster episode... I think she's, along with Dot and Pat, held the show together over the crappyness of 2004. June Brown shows her cards so well in this cancer story because she's supported by the best material the show can manage right now. Richard is often left to be the ferocious Lady of the Launderette, overshadowed by people who are given more flashy focus. But I only have to remember 'Frying Pans' and 'Strawberry Blonde at Seventy', as well as the consistent 80s Fowler based EE, to remember that she's probably the strongest emblem of "EastEnders" in the Square.

I think the show would loose pretty much everything that ties it back to its beginnings if she were gone. Long Live the Fowler!