Options

Nexus 6 is a phablet

Comments

• Options
    biggytbiggyt Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    corf wrote: »
    Mine is truly dreadful, more than a 1/3rd volume and everything is very badly distorted/muffled - hands free phone calls are a no-no. It is by far the biggest issue for me, much bigger than the battery or camera, I make a lot of hands free calls or video chats and this was a show stopper.

It was one of the earlier ones with the small speaker holes if that makes a difference.

I got my Nexus 5 the day it was released, the speaker is fine. Can easily listen to podcasts or watch YouTube
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corf wrote: »
    It was one of the earlier ones with the small speaker holes if that makes a difference.

Mine was one of the first too. Ordered as soon as ordering opened. It's very loud.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nexus 6 placed up against an iPhone 6 Plus. Looking bigger and wider.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nexus_6_and_iphone_6_plus_get_close_in_a_photo-news-9930.php
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now official

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/10/15/google-officially-debuts-nexus-6-5-92-qhd-display-snapdragon-805-3gb-ram-3200mah-battery-13mp-camera/

Rumours are, $649 for the entry level model (presumably 16Gb). That converts to £407 so with UK rip off tax, probably looking at £450 - £500. Unless its stupidly good in every respect (camera, battery, screen, speed and the rest) then I'll pass on this one for now as I'm quite happy with my GPE One M8, and I certainly wouldn't want anything smaller than 64Gb (got 80Gb currently).

I was interested in a point of view of having a tablet and phone in one device, but I doubt I'd get more than about £250 - £300 s/hand for the M8, so to have to fork out possibly up to another £300 makes no sense - could get a Hudl 2 for less than the difference and wont have all my eggs in one basket - heck I could probably even stretch to a Nexus 9 and keep the HTC and have the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now official

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/10/15/google-officially-debuts-nexus-6-5-92-qhd-display-snapdragon-805-3gb-ram-3200mah-battery-13mp-camera/

Rumours are, $649 for the entry level model (presumably 16Gb). That converts to £407 so with UK rip off tax, probably looking at £450 - £500. Unless its stupidly good in every respect (camera, battery, screen, speed and the rest) then I'll pass on this one for now as I'm quite happy with my GPE One M8, and I certainly wouldn't want anything smaller than 64Gb (got 80Gb currently).

I was interested in a point of view of having a tablet and phone in one device, but I doubt I'd get more than about £250 - £300 s/hand for the M8, so to have to fork out possibly up to another £300 makes no sense - could get a Hudl 2 for less than the difference and wont have all my eggs in one basket - heck I could probably even stretch to a Nexus 9 and keep the HTC and have the best of both worlds.

Considering the Nexus 5 was $350 USD and £300 GBP I expect the Nexus 6 to be around £550 GBP at the least...

Well that's my interest in the device totally gone...
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    First ( negative ) thoughts - too big, too expensive, not apple, wont sell.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am still happy with my Nexus 4 to be honest and can not see myself int he market for another phone for a while unless something happens to the Nexus 4. But if i was going for another phone I do not think it would be the Nexus 6. Being a Motorola certainly puts me off and the price is a bit high.
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Richard_T wrote: »
    First ( negative ) thoughts - too big, too expensive, not apple, wont sell.

I agree entirely.

The way things are going, in a couple of years 9 inch tabphones will be the norm.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it's here. It's huge, it's a phablet, you get basic 32GB and bloody expensive! Definetely not the usual Nexus discount prices that's for sure.

Pre-order 29th Oct with full retail price of $649.
    The Nexus 6 is the first phablet in the Nexus series, and it is large. Google knows that this size might not be right for everybody, but seems to embrace this diversity with a new ‘be together, not the same’ campaign.

The Nexus 6 features dual front speakersThe Nexus 6 design is almost identical to that of the 2014 Motorola Moto X, except for size, of course - the 5.9-inch Nexus dwarfs Motorola’s flagship. For all else, though, there is little difference between the two, and it’s clear that the Moto X served as the base for designing the Nexus 6. Last year, Google used LG to make the Nexus 5, and it based it on the LG G2, but the two looked vastly different, while this year that is not the case. Still, there are slight differences: the Nexus 6 has beveled rather than curved screen edges, for instance. The Nexus 6 is also a fairly heavy phone, with a weight of 6.5 ounces, and its curved back goes from a fairly thin 4mm at the edge to around 10mm at its thickest point.

One thing we're particularly happy to see in it is dual front-firing speakers 6 that Google claims deliver 'high-fidelity sound'. It's also listed as being water resistant, which means that it should be able to resist splashes, but is not supposed to get submerged in water.

The highlight of the Nexus 6 is the equally large 5.9-inch display. The screen features a 1440 x 2560-pixel, Quad HD resolution that translates into very sharp-looking images.

Android 5.0 Lollipop features a new ‘Material design’ language based on flat shapes and realistic shadows to subtly convey structure. It comes with a redesign of the icons, and a refresh of the looks of Android with neat, snappy animations.

What happens under the hood, however, might be even more important as Lollipop sets the foundation for a future of 64-bit Android phones. It introduces the new ART runtime that replaces Dalvik, and this 64-bit-compatible environment is ready to transform existing Java apps into 64-bit without any effort from the developer.

The Nexus 6 is powered by the Snapdragon 805 system chip, the jewel in Qualcomm’s 32-bit crown. This is the last iteration of Qualcomm’s Krait CPU core architecture, with four cores running at up to 2.65GHz, along with 3GB of RAM, and Adreno 420 graphics.

The GPU in particular is an impressive step forward, as it is capable of delivering top-notch graphics performance, and handling the most intense games at fairly smooth framerates. We do expect Adreno 420 on a Quad HD display to actually be able to match the performance of the ealier Adreno 330 on a much less demanding 1080p screen. Having a 32-bit chip in the Nexus 6, however, also means that the phone won’t make full use of the 64-bit optimizations coming with Android L.

The Nexus 6 is also the first in the series to ship with 32GB of internal storage for the basic version.

After introducing optical image stabilization in the Nexus 5, Google keeps that feature while bumping the camera resolution to 13-megapixels on the Nexus 6. Google is nice enough to tell us all the details about the camera right away: it uses a Sony IMX 214 image sensor, the newest from Sony, and the lens has a wide, f/2.0 aperture. The camera is capable of recording 4K video at 30 frames per second, as well as 1080p.

The phone also features a 2.1-megapixel front camera for selfies or the occasional video chat.

The Nexus 6 features a large, 3220mAh battery, and that capacity alone is promising. We’re yet to see how it performs under real-life usage as that has long been a weak side for Nexus smartphones, but we do expect to see a marked improvement in longevity. The new phablet also comes with a Turbo Charger, that you can use to get up to six hours of use with just a 15-minute charge.

The Nexus 6 will be go up for pre-order on October 29th, and will be available in stores in the beginning of November (we've heard rumors circling November 3rd as the date). It will also be offered unlocked and off-contract for a full retail price of $649, practically a flagship grade price with none of the 'Nexus' discount we've seen in earlier years.

Google will also continue to sell the Nexus 5 along with the new Nexus.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nexus One {I had one} was an expensive top of the range device.
    Nexus S as above.
    Galaxy Nexus {I had one of these as well} as above.
    Nexus 4 {and these} was a cut down LG flagship.
    And so was the Nexus 5.

Who knows where the Nexus 6 came from but it looks like a no compromise device to me. And $649 for the 32gb is $100 cheaper than the inferior 16gb iPhone 6 plus.

It a stupid bloody size though and although I won't say that I would never have one it would not fit in with my running kit very well.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Considering the Nexus 5 was $350 USD and £300 GBP I expect the Nexus 6 to be around £550 GBP at the least...Well that's my interest in the device totally gone...
    I think the problem is that we are now post peak so as cheap mass production won't happen then prices will rise.

However, it looks a contract phone so maybe prices will end up ultra competitive on that front.
    I think the LG G3 already hit a price of £430 total contract.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone tested if the Nexus 6 bends yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I think the problem is that we are now post peak so as cheap mass production won't happen then prices will rise.

However, it looks a contract phone so maybe prices will end up ultra competitive on that front.
    I think the LG G3 already hit a price of £430 total contract.

Please explain what 'post peak' means. Please explain what 'contract phone' means.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a more positive note, both the Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 (2012) are getting lollipop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's good news. Still have my 2012 N7.

Going by Google's site, the Nexus 5 still exists. Probably a good move given that the 6 is going to be an instant hate for many.
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    The real proof of the pudding is when you actually see the thing.
    as it is the Nexus 5 ( in a folio case) just about fits on my pocket, but thats it, wallet, keys and any other crap has to go on my other pocket.
    the so called Phablet is neither a good size for a phone, or a good size for a tablet.

Ive noticed that the Nexus 5 is still going to be available and thats probably a good move although a re-freshed 2014 updated nexus 5 ( bigger battery / 32GB/64GB+) the same shape as the 2013 nexus 5 would have been a better move.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Has anyone tested if the Nexus 6 bends yet?

Only under its own gravity.

Is an interesting change of tack for Nexus and looks a very nice phone. Is a big loud phone though.
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a personal opinion of course but that kills the nexus range for me. N4 was fantastic price v performance. N5 didn't make me want to upgrade feature wise, and it's price increase over the n4 no longer made it a no brainer upgrade.

The n6 looks stupidly big and stupidly expensive.

So yes I guess the moto range is now what the nexus range was. Problem is I still don't see any reason to upgrade from the n4, particularly given I'm not that bothered by LTE right now. The moto g is barely an upgrade!
  • Options
    natbikenatbike Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Batch wrote: »
    The moto g is barely an upgrade!
    Definitely not! The moto G is great (I have one) but a (slight?) step down from either the N4 or N5 in most ways (excluding battery life).
  • Options
    gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like it is going to be supported by all the major US networks now so I think Google has sucked upto them and that is why the phone is the price it is. Networks now can push people who want a nexus to get it on contract. Nexus 4 and 5 they wasn't a incentive for the networks to support it because it not many people would get a nexus on contract because it was relatively cheap enough for most buyers to buy off contact.
    Maybe now Google are going to make the nexus name a commercially popular brand (android silver) and advertise it to the masses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all comes down to personal use/ If you can live with the size of these large phones then they make great devices - I had the original Note and that was to big for me or rather it was to big and heavy for my use when running). My LG G2 is a perfect size though and it would be nice if they kept the N5 for sale as many seem to agree with the size. Android is about choice and Google should should let people have that choice.
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Surprised Verizon got it.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    It all comes down to personal use/ If you can live with the size of these large phones then they make great devices - I had the original Note and that was to big for me or rather it was to big and heavy for my use when running). My LG G2 is a perfect size though and it would be nice if they kept the N5 for sale as many seem to agree with the size. Android is about choice and Google should should let people have that choice.

They are keeping the N5. I think the N5 becomes the Nexus equivalent of the iPhone 6 (with the N6 being the 6+). The N5 is still very much a viable phone with its only real issue being battery life and its definitely better value IMO than the N6.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://gsmarena.com/motorola_nexus_6-6604.php

So, the 1440 x 2560 pixels, 5.96 inches AMOLED sounds impressive, shame about the choice of CPU.
  • Options
    binarybinary Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Being a Motorola certainly puts me off and the price is a bit high.

What's the issue with it being a Motorola?