Roast parsnips

postitpostit Posts: 23,839
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I seem to have lost my mojo as far as roast parsnips are concerned. I really love them but this year I seem to end up with dry husks.

I parboil them with the potatoes and roast them all together with a few (well a lot!) of garlic cloves. I'm wondering whether I put them in too early??

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    They don't take as long as potatoes in my experience (depending on the size of cut for both).

Put them in later on or try without par boiling.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I leave them in nice thick wedges and cook around meat for about 30 mins. I don't usually parboil mine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, as above, don't par boil them. And don't cut them too small.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    peel, and cut them ,put in oven with other veg, and spoon some olive oil on over top..yummy
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I shall keep trying!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I do par-boil, but then I only put them in for around 15mins at roastie temp, I find it makes for a fluffier interior then just putting them in raw. When they come out I dribble a bit of honey over them - Mmmm /making myself hungry.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Specktater wrote: »
    I do par-boil, but then I only put them in for around 15mins at roastie temp, I find it makes for a fluffier interior then just putting them in raw. When they come out I dribble a bit of honey over them - Mmmm /making myself hungry.
    Or even honey before they go in:)
    I par boil for a little while and try to ensure the segment sizes can cook at the same time or the "skinny" ends get cremated.
  • LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ohhh yes, I am mad for parsnips! I do parboil them - I find just putting them in raw leaves the ends crispy and they dry out so I parboil them for 2 minutes, slick them with olive oil and pepper and they roast while whatever meat I'm cooking is resting - so for about 20 minutes. I normally drizzle maple syrup over them for the last couple of minutes. Droooooool!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Or even honey before they go in:)
    I par boil for a little while and try to ensure the segment sizes can cook at the same time or the "skinny" ends get cremated.

Don't you find the sugars burn if you do it before? I struggled with that for ages before I read a tip to do it after.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I love parsnips but no one else in the house does :(
  • BonymoroniBonymoroni Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    I don't par boil them either. I coat them in a mixture of honey and olive oil, put loads of cloves of garlic round them and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper then bung them in the oven..
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honey roast parsnips are lush mmmmmm m
  • MJsDirtyDianaMJsDirtyDiana Posts: 372,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honey glazed parsnips are delicious :)