Options

Nigel Evans is a hypocrite.....

Comments

• Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Changing your mind as a result of experience is a sign of maturity not hypocrisy.

But that brings the next problem, why are MPs making policy choices when they have so little experience in the field. Oh thats right, they are paid for those policies and just take the money and put the papers in.

Think thats not true? well I suggest you go and look. Dont limit it to one party either, they are all as bad as each other. Digital Millennium Act proved that to us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    How many times do we hear that mps of either party are not in touch with the common man? Well this is a prime example of that.

Since Nigel's huge court fees he's now talking about speaking to Chris Grayling about the cuts in legal aid; despite being a supporter of the cuts before it affected him. However unlike the man on the street ,Evans was able to sell one of his houses in 2010; so that'll help to offset some of his cost.

I have no link yet.

Well it looks like your on your own. Silly Billy.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    But that brings the next problem, why are MPs making policy choices when they have so little experience in the field. Oh thats right, they are paid for those policies and just take the money and put the papers in.

Think thats not true? well I suggest you go and look. Dont limit it to one party either, they are all as bad as each other. Digital Millennium Act proved that to us.

Thats why I would not let anyone stand for parliament who didn't have at least 10 years recent employment outside politics. And I would stop people becoming ministers who had no experience and qualifications in the area they are in charge of.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hoffmister wrote: »
    He needs to champion someone else so it dissent come across as so self serving.

I got turned down for legal aid a while back and I was the victim on ICB and no way could I afford it.I lucked in ltyas the bod pleaded guu

That post started well, but then it went a bit funny at the end.

I'll need you to stay back after class Hoffmister.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Thats why I would not let anyone stand for parliament who didn't have at least 10 years recent employment outside politics. And I would stop people becoming ministers who had no experience and qualifications in the area they are in charge of.

I agree... "politician" should *never* be a career choice.
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    Not everyone does, but those whose own experience has awakened them to the plight of others, and thus they move from their original position should be commended, not sneered at. It takes courage and character to admit you were wrong.

Excuse me if I don't commend a person who helped to bring in a policy that bit him on the backside and has now seen the errors of his ways because it affects him. Well at least he had a second house he could sell to help with his expenses.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Justabloke wrote: »
    I agree... "politician" should *never* be a career choice.

Well, I see nothing wrong with wanting to be a politician - and many start as 'amateurs' in councils etc whilst still working elsewhere. I do think that some experience in an outside career would be beneficial however... maybe five years on a zero hours contract at minimum wage?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Excuse me if I don't commend a person who helped to bring in a policy that bit him on the backside and has now seen the errors of his ways because it affects him. Well at least he had a second house he could sell to help with his expenses.

You should always welcome a change of heart - it takes a lot, especially for a politician, to admit they were wrong.

You seem more bothered that he had a bit of money to be honest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Well, I see nothing wrong with wanting to be a politician - and many start as 'amateurs' in councils etc whilst still working elsewhere. I do think that some experience in an outside career would be beneficial however... maybe five years on a zero hours contract at minimum wage?

nothing wrong with wanting to be a politician per se and its true that many do indeed start as amateurs sadly they rarely make it to the top positions though...

I fully endorse your work scheme proposal and commend it to the house
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well it looks like your on your own. Silly Billy.

Am I?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    You should always welcome a change of heart - it takes a lot, especially for a politician, to admit they were wrong.

You seem more bothered that he had a bit of money to be honest.

It took a lot because he's bemoaning the fact that he's out of pocket.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

Has he? Where would he live?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Has he? Where would he live?

He sold his house in 2010, so has already got some money.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    How is he a hypocrite? He's just learnt from his experience.

He'd be a hypocrite if he demanded his costs be repaid yet *still* supported the curtailing of legal aid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    How is he a hypocrite? He's just learnt from his experience.

He'd be a hypocrite if he demanded his costs be repaid yet *still* supported the curtailing of legal aid.

He supported the policy until it affected him.

: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He supported the policy until it affected him.

: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

As he's now changed his beliefs, he's not a hypocrite.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did Evans bring the circumstances of his prosecution on himself then? :confused:
    Ever heard of things like common sense, self respect and moral standards?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sinistra wrote: »

Yes, but how did Evans bring the circumstances of his prosecution on himself?
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member

He shouldn't be facing any expense, regardless. Many people have a "It'll never happen to me" attitude, and when it does, it can change their whole perspective. That can be a good thing, as has happened here. And as Mr Miyagi said:-

"For man with no forgiveness in heart, life worse punishment than death"

Perhaps that quote could inspire you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sinistra wrote: »

I think I know what's on the minds of some people, they should just come out and say what it is they think ie

"If he hadn't been grubbing around in his seedy gay and promiscuous lifestyle, he wouldn't be facing these allegations, would he?"

How warm am I? Boiling?
  • Options
    cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did Evans bring the circumstances of his prosecution on himself then? :confused:
    Perhaps his 'contact' with the alleged victims was deemed reckless?
    SnrDev wrote: »
    I wonder how many people would be relaxed about effectively being fined £105,000 after a clean sweep of Not Guilty verdicts? You spend your adult life accumulating a bit of wealth to enjoy your latter years (or hey how about your current years too?) and then thanks to the CPS deciding that things like this must be followed through he finds a huge hole in his savings.
    FWIW I reckon the state should reimburse his costs to the full.
    I agree that the NE having to meet the costs appears unfair but it does happen with legal decisions despite not being convicted of the charges. Perhaps there should be provision to appeal the costs decision subsequently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He shouldn't be facing any expense, regardless. Many people have a "It'll never happen to me" attitude, and when it does, it can change their whole perspective. That can be a good thing, as has happened here. And as Mr Miyagi said:-

So what about other policies that the policy makers have bought in and harm people? They won't be considered until or unless they affect the policy makers? That sounds fair.

BIB. Why is that the case?
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

^this^

Never trust a man until you've heard him say he was wrong at least once.

(This doesn't work in the case of a person who is genuinely never wrong, of course, but people who are never wrong are too irritating to trust anyway).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So what about other policies that the policy makers have bought in and harm people? They won't be considered until or unless they affect the policy makers? That sounds fair.

BIB. Why is that the case?

That's a classic straw man there. What is being said is that it is good he changed his mind and that he isn't a hypocrite.
  • Options
    Forum Member

No, you've taken one instance and without considering it on its own merit, have just applied it as a general rule of thumb principle. Credit where it's due, and it may be here if somebody has done an about turn because their experience has made them more aware of what the issues are.