• Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    He got charged on 8 counts.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess it says a lot about how people come across but of the people who have been to court for these kind of offenses, he's not one that I thought might be guilty............
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    I guess it says a lot about how people come across but of the people who have been to court for these kind of offenses, he's not one that I thought might be guilty............
    Good job I wasn't on that Jury then :blush:
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Good job I wasn't on that Jury then :blush:

The witnesses seemed much more credible than the ones in the other Yewtree cases. His reputation as a lying manipulator as well as being an organiser of those "good honest filth" sex parties probably damned him with the jury too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    After the not guilty verdicts of other high profile people, ones have been questioning the validity of bringing these historical cases to court; well there is validity.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He's been found guilty on all 8 counts

One interesting side issue here is that Clifford must know more secrets about celebrities, politicians etc than anyone else in the country.........I wonder if he'll be inclined to start spilling the beans now out of pique.......
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? Just as Bill Roache's evidence came across to me as very credible, even on the news snippets we had, Clifford's seemed highly un-credible (not to mention incredible on occassions).
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Really? Just as Bill Roache's evidence came across to me as very credible, even on the news snippets we had, Clifford's seemed highly un-credible (not to mention incredible on occassions).

I wasn't talking about the evidence. I was talking about my impressions of people before they were accused. I tend not to keep track of every new revelation of news and to be honest lately I've been more interested the Oscar Pistorious trial and Malaysian disappearing plane incident. I'd pretty much written off the Max Clifford case before it started as just the latest of that generation of famous people to be accused.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    He's been found guilty on all 8 counts

One interesting side issue here is that Clifford must know more secrets about celebrities, politicians etc than anyone else in the country.........I wonder if he'll be inclined to start spilling the beans now out of pique.......

Well maybe; as some have said his career is possibly over now so he needs money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    The way things're going. We won't need crown appointed judges, jries and other court officials, it'll all come down to trial by media and in the newspapers' eyes, it's guilty until proven innocent and god help us all if it comes down to that, especially if you criticise them or don't agree with them.

The Spanish Inquisition did it when they put innocent people on trial, just for saying that they didn't agree with something said in the bible. The inquisitors didn't provide any witnesses so if they couldn't make any up, they used torture.
  • Options
    BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good job we have 2 threads on this topic.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    The way things're going. We won't need crown appointed judges, jries and other court officials, it'll all come down to trial by media and in the newspapers' eyes, it's guilty until proven innocent and god help us all if it comes down to that, especially if you criticise them or don't agree with them.

The Spanish Inquisition did it when they put innocent people on trial, just for saying that they didn't agree with something said in the bible. The inquisitors didn't provide any witnesses so if they couldn't make any up, they used torture.

What are you talking about? Max Clifford was tried in a court with a judge, jury and other court officials and we are now discussing the verdict.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    I wasn't talking about the evidence. I was talking about my impressions of people before they were accused. I tend not to keep track of every new revelation of news and to be honest lately I've been more interested the Oscar Pistorious trial and Malaysian disappearing plane incident. I'd pretty much written off the Max Clifford case before it started as just the latest of that generation of famous people to be accused.

No 1960s/70s/80s British television personality or celebrity're safe, even if they're totally innocent, from the newspapers' self appointed positions as paedo-hunters.

If anybody should be exposed to public scrutiny, investigated and brought to trial, it should be the editors of the newspapers.
    The News of The World phone tapping scandal's proof enough.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What has that got to do with this case?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's a good job we have 2 threads on this topic.

Good contribution.
  • Options
    charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    Good contribution.

To be fair, you did post first. :)

Anyway my thoughts on the outcome are that I think Clifford is a disgusting individual.
    His reputation is in tatters.
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think anyone expects the Spanish Inquisition.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He needs a good publicist now...
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! :D
  • Options
    HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear ' it's not looking good for him, is it ? I must admit, when he was first arrested , and he announced his unreserved innocence , I actually believed him .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying that I believed him but when all those famous and in some cases attractive character witnesses (female) spoke on his behalf, I thought he would get off.

The thing is is he will be sentenced according to the time the crimes were committed, which means he won't get as long a sentence as he would had he committed those crimes today.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I say I thought the other lot were guilty too, but he was the least desirable. Hence his conviction.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good.

You sound as if you wanted him to be found guilty.
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    You sound as if you wanted him to be found guilty.

So where do you stand on the matter then?