Options

Guardiola & Man City

OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,487
Forum Member
Surprised not to see a thread on this - at least I can't find one.

This appointment actually annoys me, and really should annoy a lot of fans of football. Here you have one of the best managers in the game, going to a club that has already stated the pot is as full as needs be (ie: unlimited cash supply), and is currently sitting where it could win 4 trophies this year.

The news is that this is a £9m deal to Pep, but honestly, where is the challenge? All I can see now is him being able to gather up any player he wishes, for any amount of money the seller requires, and 'win' everything, every year, easy!

I am sure there are other views than mine in here?

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,963
    Forum Member
    They haven't really got unlimited cash supply. FFP will see to that.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They surely want to rule Europe, which is a challenge no matter how much cash you have. I don't think it's an easy choice for him, more an obvious one as he's arguably the most celebrated coach around so will get nothing but the best offers.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be a challenge for Pepe.

He has never really worked in a competitive league before. The Premiership is very different from any where he has been before and with the new grounds being built and the new TV deals etc even with Cities money there are clubs who might not outspend them but if they choose to can spend massive amounts of money plus a fair few clubs who can spend decent amounts of money. The way our league is set up compared to the previous leagues just about ensures winning it is never "easy"

They have had limitless money and a great manager and have been able to gather up most players yet have been unable to dominate the league and I really don't think that will change just because Pepe walks though the door.

I have never understood why people expect top managers to go to clubs of a lower quality then they are use too. You would not expect that to happen in many other industries and really don't see why football should be any different.

Although they have done quite well in the league Europe has been a major problem for them and I think that is one of the reason's they are bringing Pepe in. For City going forward they need to work on their brand and Pepe is a much better fit for them going forward then their current manager.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They want the champions league they believe getting guardiola in means the really top players will come.

The ones that are normally exclusive to Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit I am a little sad at how football is going, not least because my club was cushioned from many aspects of it for years but are now right slap bang in the middle of it. City are buying success of course they are but United are now doing exactly the same thing so I cant really be too churlish just because they appear to be better at it.

That said whilst I see what the OP is saying it was much the same story when Chelsea were taken over and indeed when City were taken over - no one else was ever going to see a trophy. It didn't turn out like that and I don't believe its a gimme that Guardiola will be a roaring success although obviously it would surprise no-one if he was.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    I really love this idea that a top manager should be declining top jobs for the "challenge". utterly sound logic.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orchideam wrote: »
    Surprised not to see a thread on this - at least I can't find one.

This appointment actually annoys me, and really should annoy a lot of fans of football. Here you have one of the best managers in the game, going to a club that has already stated the pot is as full as needs be (ie: unlimited cash supply), and is currently sitting where it could win 4 trophies this year.

The news is that this is a £9m deal to Pep, but honestly, where is the challenge? All I can see now is him being able to gather up any player he wishes, for any amount of money the seller requires, and 'win' everything, every year, easy!

I am sure there are other views than mine in here?

Totally agree. Of course I don't expect him to rock up at one of the clubs that regularly fight relegation every season however,

Bayern Munich had just won the treble before he arrived. A well run club with an excellent squad.

Barcelona. I don't wish to diminish his achievements here whatsoever but having Messi, Iniesta and Xavi at their prime certainly helps to build a team that can potentially dominate football for quite a few years. Obviously he did an amazing job there so I'll leave it at that.

With City, again, a well run club right down to the academy. Possibly the weaker of the three in terms of squads but lots of potential and endless pots of cash. No FFP to worry about either. Recent premier league champions.

He's not really moving out of his comfort zone but as other decorated managers have found out the Premier league is tough. He might find it far more difficult to flutter his eyelashes at others playing in this league as many clubs won't bow down to selling their best players unless it suits.

Of course as a Utd fan I hope he falls on his arse!
  • Options
    Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turning Man City into Barca or Bayern would be a massive job. Winning titles on a regular basis with Man City is far more challenging than winning titles with Bayern who are practically a monopoly in the Bundesliga.

If he can get Man City to play in the same style as his previous clubs it really would be pretty amazing.

There isn't a better manager out there at the moment but Pellegrini will be a hard act to follow, Pellegrini has one of the best records in PL history.
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pee wrote: »
    I really love this idea that a top manager should be declining top jobs for the "challenge". utterly sound logic.

Agreed but I must admit there is a part of me that would like to see him do a Klopp and take on a club with constraints, not because he should (I wouldn't!) but just to see if he could make it happen there. Any club he goes to is going to have massive resources and rightly so. I don't really know of any manager who would deliberately take a lower club "for the challenge", its not a game of Football Manager!
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a challenge for Pep, here he is coming to a league that unlike in Spain, or in Germany, no one team dominates (sadly not any more from my own clubs perspective), and that there are more challengers than ever for the top places, nevermind just the top spot.

West Ham moving to the Olympic Stadium, Spurs moving shortly to their new stadium, god only knows this is a one time only deal with Leicester or not, and the usual top clubs (Man Utd, Arsenal, and one should suspect Chelsea to bounce back from this season).

I just don't see how or why Guardiola going to City automatically means that they will win everything in sight, this is a very competitive league, unlike what he has been in charge of previously.
    There are no "gimmies" in terms of teams rolling over like there are in Spain (just look at Real's recent 10 goal derby victory), so he will have to adapt to also not having a winter break, and also playing in multiple cup competitions, something that for example Klopp has found to be a bit of strain.

Of course he is a top class manager, if not the best around, but talk of him walking away with things, is a tad bit premature.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is a strange and perverse logic, surely if you consider yourself to be the best manager, then you would want to manage the best clubs?
    Why would you want to settle for anything else?

As fans of course it would be ace to see José or Guardiola etc at Crewe or Barnet for example, just to see how they would cope without having the ridiculously high budgets that they are used to, but that is just never going to be the case.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are still many challenges in the league.

Only two teams have defended the league (and its not happened in something like 6 years). Only one team has won it three times in a row.

Yes while taking a club like Liverpool to the title would be a challenge or turning Spurs into a top 4 team season after season is a challenge the challenges that the managers of teams like City,Utd and Chelsea have are just as difficult.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed but I must admit there is a part of me that would like to see him do a Klopp and take on a club with constraints, not because he should (I wouldn't!) but just to see if he could make it happen there. Any club he goes to is going to have massive resources and rightly so. I don't really know of any manager who would deliberately take a lower club "for the challenge", its not a game of Football Manager!

The thing who decides what a 'challenge' is. A Sunderland fan could say Klopp should of challenged himself with a club like Sunderland rather than Liverpool.

One thing i think people seem to forget about Guardiola is his not just looking to come and win trophies. His quest for success goes far beyond winning trophies.

Also for all those that seem to think this wouldn't be a challenge for guardiola I don't remember the same outcry when Pellegrini took the job. There was no questioning of the choice to go to City.

City to me a very good side but nowhere near great and that's the aim.
  • Options
    stu64stu64 Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    As a City fan I am slightly torn on this. I think Guardiola is a very good manager but like others on here I think he does take the easy jobs. I think most people could of walked in to the Bayern Munich job and do well, yet in the Champions League he came unstuck twice at the semi final stage.

The club has everything ready for him though, including the two Spanish directors who know him well and all the way down to the academy, everything is set up for him.

For me personally I would of liked to have took a chance on Diego Simeone as he is doing a very good job at Atletico Madrid and I think he has a very bright future as a manager.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's great he's come to England as beating City to whatever will be much more satisfying.
    It's not going to be easy for him and he can't buy every great player.
    As yet not won the CL with Bayern so no guarantee he will do so at City.
    Nothing but good for the PL I would say.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with you. There's a first.
    Why on earth should a top manager take anything other than a top job.
    I read somewhere that Jose should take on a struggling team
    Why ? He's earnt the right as others have to dine at the top table only.
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't question the silverware but his career is based on success managing the best selection of players a club side has probably ever had it its disposal and in a country that makes the Scottish Premier League look competitive.

This isn't a 'because he's joined City' post as this has been my opinion for ages, even when he was linked to us. It's difficult to question a manager who has won what he has but at the same time I don't think you can ignore the fortuitous circumstances that he encountered.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    could be an interesting parallel with this appointment

iirc bayern won the treble under heynckes in his last year before guardiola took over

could lightning strike twice ?
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,054
    Forum Member
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    I agree with you. There's a first.
    Why on earth should a top manager take anything other than a top job.
    I read somewhere that Jose should take on a struggling team
    Why ? He's earnt the right as others have to dine at the top table only.

Mourinho shouldn't need to take on a struggling team to prove himself. Whilst Porto and Inter weren't exactly struggling teams within their own leagues, it was far from easy winning the Champions League with either of them, whilst maintaining their domestic success too.

Guardiola also shouldn't have any obligation to take over a lesser club either, but because we can only judge him on managing at two of the biggest and wealthiest clubs in Europe it does leave question marks over whether he would be able to cut it at a club that doesn't have all of the best resources available to him.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't question the silverware but his career is based on success managing the best selection of players a club side has probably ever had it its disposal and in a country that makes the Scottish Premier League look competitive.

This isn't a 'because he's joined City' post as this has been my opinion for ages, even when he was linked to us. It's difficult to question a manager who has won what he has but at the same time I don't think you can ignore the fortuitous circumstances that he encountered.

Absolutely. It is possible to appreciate that he's clearly very good at what he does whilst at the same time questioning how he'd fare in a league that is more competitive and where he doesn't have a team that is so far ahead of its' rivals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Absolutely. It is possible to appreciate that he's clearly very good at what he does whilst at the same time questioning how he'd fare in a league that is more competitive and where he doesn't have a team that is so far ahead of its' rivals.

This is why I'd personally be more concerned about Mourinho going to United than Guardiola going to City, because I already know what Mourinho's capable of, whereas Guardiola still has some question marks surrounding him.
  • Options
    Nova21Nova21 Posts: 14,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is why I'd personally be more concerned about Mourinho going to United than Guardiola going to City, because I already know what Mourinho's capable of, whereas Guardiola still has some question marks surrounding him.

Arent you somewhat getting your points mixed up?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    stu64 wrote: »

For me personally I would of liked to have took a chance on Diego Simeone as he is doing a very good job at Atletico Madrid and I think he has a very bright future as a manager.

If Pep wasn't available then why would anyone wanted to get rid of Pellegrini?
    He could have had several more successful years there.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

are you really saying la life or the bundesliga is worse than the SPL?

What other coach has reached the last 4 as a minimum in the CL in every season his managed a side in the competiton?

Answer: None

I remember last season when bayern lost there first leg to Porto last season and people started writing guardiola off. 2nd leg they hammered Porto but no praise for the turnaround.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nova21 wrote: »
    Arent you somewhat getting your points mixed up?

Nope, the post you quoted was just picking up from what James said regarding the question marks over how Pep will fare in a more competitive league. Seems on track to me.