Any fans of Real Ale out there?

RealaleRealale Posts: 6,381
Forum Member
Not talking about me, but as you can tell from my username I am a fan of good old British bitter. None of this John Smiths smooth malarkey though, I am talking about your Marstons Pedigree, Speckled Hen or Wadsworth 6X etc.
Don't get to frequent the pubs as much as in my formative years but still look forward to a good pint with a proper head. Anyone else?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't like any of the beers you listed, but I do love doombar, tribute, Tim Taylors and London Pride.
    Yum
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shepherd Neame beers all the way for me :D
  • PlanetPlanet Posts: 1,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever tried/heard of Black Sheep Ale? I like real ales, especially Pedigree, London Pride, and 6X, amongst others. My mates always give me odd looks when I get a pint of ale when we're out, whilst they knock back Corky's and cr*p. I always prefer to try a new ale - it was great at our local CAMRA Beer festival last summer, especially as I was with one of the bands playing there, so we had free reign at the bars!

I pass one of the St. Austell Brewery depots on my way to work actually.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Courage Directors, Theakston Best, Adnams... I do like a nice ale :)
  • RealaleRealale Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    Good to see some fellow supporters out there - Haven't tried Doombar, Tribute or Tim Taylors but like all the others mentioned. Thought of a couple more as well - Charlie Wells Bombardier and Greene King IPA.
    You also get the guest beers such as Cripple Dick that are mighty strong but not a fan of the ones that have supposed 'flavours' such as chocolate.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried a new beer over Christmas, I've not heard of it before. It is called Braksphere. Brewed in Oxford. I really enjoyed it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always like to try different ales, if I go in a pub and theres a beer on handpull I've not had before, I have to try it.

Favourites though

Old Speckled Hen
    Jennings Cumberland
    Black Sheep
    Theakston's XB
    Wentworth WPA
    Timmy Taylor Landlord

oh far too many to mention!
  • RootsFranRootsFran Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fursty Ferret:D

I love the names they come up with.
  • Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Planet wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried/heard of Black Sheep Ale?

Oh yes. Brewed in Masham, which is up the road from me when I'm up North. Lovely ales, lovely brewery too which you can have tours of.

You really cannot beat a hand pulled pint of Riggwelter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Timothy Taylor's Landlord is one of my favourites, along with RCH Pitchfork.
    Also like Theakstons Old Peculier, most beers from York Brewery and one of local brewery's - Beowulf - produces exceptionally fine ales.
    Days out and weekends away are all decided via the CAMRA good beer guide - and yes we've had several weekends in Masham.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pride,Adnams,McMullens and Youngs for me. Is old Growler still available?
  • Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    I like Abbots Ale and Bombadier
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    I like Abbots Ale and Bombadier

Love Abbots and most chewy beers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Sven945 wrote: »
    Oh yes. Brewed in Masham, which is up the road from me when I'm up North. Lovely ales, lovely brewery too which you can have tours of.

You really cannot beat a hand pulled pint of Riggwelter.

I was up in Masham for a few days in November.

The Black Sheep brewery is excellent, not only for beer, but the food is great, seeing as the is the food thread!

Loads of good pubs around about that do great food too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member
    Hi if you like real ales then a must is the Badger range especialy Badger gold is yummy !! :)
  • imogenkateimogenkate Posts: 2,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harleybobs wrote: »
    Hi if you like real ales then a must is the Badger range especialy Badger gold is yummy !! :)

my o/h drinks real ale but doesnt seem to like any of the badger ones.
  • zmikeozmikeo Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a selection that I got in when my Dad stayed a night.
    Have yet to find a Badger Beer that I like much prefer one of the Fuller range or my favourite at the moment is Hobgoblin.
    The Rhubarb and Banana beer didn't go down very well.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not really had many.

Tried Gateshead Gold, Fursty Ferret, Courage Directors and another one, Bees something.

I liked the first three, the last one tasted like deodorant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May I add Ringwood (from Ringwood in Hampshire) to the list? They do a wonderful Best and the 49er is excellent.
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH would like a vote put in for Potholers from Cheddar Ales and Mine Beer from Blindmans
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kacey wrote: »
    Days out and weekends away are all decided via the CAMRA good beer guide - and yes we've had several weekends in Masham.
    Hah! Are you my other half, in cognito? :D
    We do that a lot and were in Cardiff last weekend for the CAMRA AGM. Had a great time there. Meeting up with other folk we tend to run into at various festivals round the country and at the GBBF in London. And drinking lots of lovely beer, of course.

If I had to pick my favourite beer, it would have to be the Sarah Hughes' Dark Ruby Mild. Though Beijing Black is another one I'm mighty partial to.
    I'm a mild child.

You often can't get mild though, so if I'm somewhere where there's none, it's Timothy Taylor's Landlord or Hobgoblin for me; they're pretty widely available, for proper beers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Don't like any of the beers you listed, but I do love doombar, tribute, Tim Taylors and London Pride.
    Yum

where abouts do you live to drink Doom?

I love Doombar...even holidayed in Padstow to be surrounded by it!

My fave ale is Otter (hence my name) then Doom, then Bombardier.
  • zmikeozmikeo Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That looks like another vote for hobgoblin, I even have the T-shirt.
    :o Though I'm about to drink a Fuller ESB now, which is another good one, well if you like it.
  • 5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More of a Deuchers IPA or Arran Blonde drinker myself.