What does Doctor Who need the most right now?

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
In my opinion I think it needs modern-day earth invasions, less of the past, some old enemies and scary ones that don't end up as the good ones!

AND BIGGER CASTS.

What do you think?

Comments

• rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because of the length of the episodes which i think is 42 minutes just to sell it to other countries so much is packed into it it leaves you wondering what the hell is going on sometimes.

Slow the pace down,maybe have a few 2 parters to explain things a little more.
    Stop making the episodes so complicated.
    give the companions more time to grow instead of throwing them to the sharks & expecting fireworks straight away
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A BBC that has no interest in making money. Profit being the antithesis of public service.

Leading too either 60minute eps (58min in practice) or 44min x 3 stories (Even 28min x ??? stories would work but would be "brave")

A companion with humanity and emotional range would be nice as well
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    Because of the length of the episodes which i think is 42 minutes just to sell it to other countries so much is packed into it it leaves you wondering what the hell is going on sometimes.

Slow the pace down,maybe have a few 2 parters to explain things a little more.
    Stop making the episodes so complicated.
    give the companions more time to grow instead of throwing them to the sharks & expecting fireworks straight away

They don't need to make them any less complicated, that makes things interesting. You'll have to many people (me probably being one of them) complaining that it's been dumbed down too much
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has been a variety of episodes and two parter episodes might be good, needs a little consistency, maybe The Tardis could refuse to travel until certain conditions have been adhered to.:D
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting rid of Clara for a start! :p:o Getting rid of Mark Gatiss from the writing staff?

Keeping the Moff forever and ever alongside Matt? :p:D

Aside from that, I would just say some two-parters again. At first the idea of not having some did seem a nice refreshing change, but the lack of them isn't for the best now I think.

Also the movie of the week theme hasn't worked well for 7B in my mind. It worked for 7A, but not in this half so, just back to 'normal' Doctor Who if there ever is such a thing....:p;)
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Daleks
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    In my opinion I think it needs modern-day earth invasions, less of the past, some old enemies and scary ones that don't end up as the good ones!

AND BIGGER CASTS.

What do you think?

No modern-day earth invasions (because it creates discontinuity between the viewer's world and the characters, and makes it harder for other alien plots to fly under the world's radar), plenty small-scale stories, simple ideas handled consistently, fewer elements inserted for the sake of having a) a scary monster and b) an action sequence. There's nothing wrong with having neither of these if you have a strong story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Rose Tyler
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smaller casts surely?

and i don;t mean Warwick Davis
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    In my opinion I think it needs modern-day earth invasions, less of the past,

No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! NO!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose Tyler

• Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fair enough if you don't want that, but other people are aloud to want different things! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Banks246 wrote: »
    Fair enough if you don't want that, but other people are aloud to want different things! ;)

True. :)
  • owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -A slower pace.
    Too much happens too fast. Pretty much after every episode I think "I enjoyed that, but I haven't got a clue what was going on!"
    -
    Tassium wrote: »

A companion with humanity and emotional range would be nice as well
    Yup this.

-Make it appeal to a wider audience again, like it did with CE and DT.
    -Less childlike. I don't mean the stories, I mean the delivery - that is, the acting, the dialogue, the behaviour of the characters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when you say no do you mean yes?

(I just want you to say no again:D)
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    No modern-day earth invasions (because it creates discontinuity between the viewer's world and the characters, and makes it harder for other alien plots to fly under the world's radar), plenty small-scale stories

^This.

When you have the population of modern-day Earth knowing about Daleks and Cybermen, what you have is essentially an alternative to "our" world, which just isn't the same.

You can build a suspenseful, action packed story without worldwide invasions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    when you say no do you mean yes?

(I just want you to say no again:D)

It's all this Margaret Thatcher stuff that's been on TV since she passed away. I saw a clip of her responding to something she disapproved of, bellowing "No!" several times. So when two posters mentioned two of the things I most disapproved of in the RTD era, i.e. modern day Earth invasions and Rose Tyler I decided to emulate our recently deceased ex-PM. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all this Margaret Thatcher stuff that's been on TV since she passed away. I saw a clip of her responding to something she disapproved of, bellowing "No!" several times. So when two posters mentioned the two things about the RTD era I hated most, modern day Earth invasions and Rose Tyler I decided to emulate our recently deceased ex-PM. :)
    So that's a no then:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    So that's a no then:D

Yes, it's a No!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it's a No!
    are you sure because you answered yes?:D
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    More straightforward storylines and less convoluted shite.

I defy anybody to go back and watch the Ecclestone shows and tell me that the current ones are better.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A return to the 2005-2010 format.
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I defy anybody to go back and watch the Ecclestone shows and tell me that the current ones are better.

Okay. A lot of the current ones are better than a lot of the Eccleston ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Companion from either the future (at least the 23rd Century) or an alien.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    More straightforward storylines and less convoluted shite.

The current episodes are better than the Eccleston ones.

Much better Doctor, much better stories, no Jackie.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Okay. A lot of the current ones are better than a lot of the Eccleston ones.
    The current episodes are better than the Eccleston ones.

Much better Doctor, much better stories, no Jackie.

Do the ratings support that opinion?

Clue: No.