Do you miss the Real Woolworth`s?

13»

Comments

• malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    I think the loss of Woolworths has been felt in smaller towns where the choice of shops and stores isn't as big as in major towns and cities.

Woolworths was generally in the high street of these places so easier to access, particularly for the elderly and those without their own transport who might not find it particularly easy to get to a large supermarker or out-of-town shopping centre.

In big towns and cities people generally have a larger variety of shops within more reachable distances so the loss of Woollies doesn't rate so highly.

A lot of Woollies problems were their own doing - the stores weren't well kept, they had issues with having enough stock on the shelves and they didn't move with the times. They really didn't have a unique selling point - everything you could get at Woollies could be purchased at any decent sized supermarket cheaper.
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    What i don't understand is that a big chain like woolies who have loads of shops and a shop i always saw with loads of people in went into admin?? Compared with some of the little tiny shops i see that have been there for years and i hardly ever see anyone in them, i mean they have to cover rent, bills wages etc just to break even??
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The main Woolworths in Wolverhampton used to be the largest in Europe.

Before Supermarkets, it was the essential store in every high street.

I don't miss it but I do find it's demise a bit sad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    No, I don't miss it at all. I don't like big, untidy shops that sell random selections of tat. It was always impossible to find what you wanted, and the checkout queues were always disproportionately long for the number of customers actually in there.

I do, however, feel bad for people who lost their jobs.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What i don't understand is that a big chain like woolies who have loads of shops and a shop i always saw with loads of people in went into admin?? Compared with some of the little tiny shops i see that have been there for years and i hardly ever see anyone in them, i mean they have to cover rent, bills wages etc just to break even??

I think their CD and DVD supplier when bust which took them over the edge. They lost out heavilly to internet sales and were a downmarket store compared to the 70's and 80's :(
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The old woolworths was good, the woolworths in the last 5 years of its life was crap and needed to go.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I used to buy in Woolworth was the lottery. Now I use WH Smiths and the queue is bloody huge - so yes I do miss Woolies. But I'll eventually get over it. :)
  • Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    I think their CD and DVD supplier when bust which took them over the edge. They lost out heavilly to internet sales and were a downmarket store compared to the 70's and 80's :(

They owned their own CD/DVD supplier EUK was the largest Entertainment wholesaler in Europe and was very profitable, Woolworths group went bust because they used a business restructuring loan to prop up the cash flow of the failing stores rather than restructure the business, when the consortium of banks that under wrote the loan got wind of this they called in the loan and the whole Woolworths group of companies went under. The Demise of EUK led to the collapse of Zavi and a lot of small independant entertainment retailers, Because Woolworths administrators wanted payed imediatley plus payment for undelivered stock.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They owned their own CD/DVD supplier EUK was the largest Entertainment wholesaler in Europe, Woolworths group went bust because they used a business restructuring loan to prop up the cash flow of the failing stores rather than restructure the business, when the consortium of banks that under wrote the loan got wind of this they called in the loan and the whole Woolworths group of companies went under. The Demise of EUK led to the collapse of Zavi and a lot of small independant entertainment retailers, Woolworths administraters wanted payment for undeliverd stock.

I knew it was summat like that! :o:D
  • toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss woolies and not because my wife worked there for years. Their problem was too many stores, some were quite profitable but were pulled down for the ones that weren't. They were also doing up some of the shops and changing the product range but it was to late. The music distrubution part of the company were owed millions by the likes of Tesco and Virgin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, don't miss it one bit. It was pretty much a kids toy shop full of pramfaces.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    toastie15 wrote: »
    I miss woolies and not because my wife worked there for years. Their problem was too many stores, some were quite profitable but where pulled down for the ones that weren't. They were also doing up some the shops and changing the product range but it was to late. The music distrubution part of the company were owed millions by the likes of Tesco and Virgin.

I worked in the industry at the time of the EUK collapse. It wasn't that they were owed, it was that they managed their finances incorrectly and allowed their cashflow to get into a mess. Then they tried to misuse a restructuring loan, as mentioned above.

Woolworths had had its day years ago.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    I find the whole "crying" over the loss of Woolworths a bit irritating. Surely if it was that well loved and that well used then they wouldn't have gone into administration?

Seeing as though it did means we didn't all really use it that much.

In the last couple of years of Woolworths stores being in existence I could count on one hand the amount of times I went in there and came out with something I wanted..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what i understand The EUK side of the business was very profitable and propped up the rest of the company.
  • warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly every week I want to buy something and I think,...'I can get one of those from Woolies' ...and then the penny drops.
    I never thought I'd miss a store like I do Woolies.
  • xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    I do miss how it used to be but as it got closer to its demise i think it started selling lots of rubbish which was priced highly.
  • GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    Woolworths are still going, but only online Mrs Jack ordered two games for Grandaughter buy one get one free and only 1.50 delivery not bad stocking fillers for under 5.00 that included the delivery.
    "Woolworths.co.uk" is just a brand that Shop Direct Group trade as (along with many other names), they bought the brand from the administrators of Woolworths Group and the website has no other connection to Woolworths Group.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What i don't understand is how could the Administraters sell the woolworth name, Surely it is still owned by Foot Locker/ F W Woolworths Inc. And Woolworths UK simply used the name under license.
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xmel05 wrote: »
    I do miss how it used to be but as it got closer to its demise i think it started selling lots of rubbish which was priced highly.

I'm exactly the same. I used to love Woolies when I was a kid, but within the last few years, I never was in there, as it was mainly rubbish. Same time, it was sad to see a store that I had so memories of to disappear, and yes sometimes, I do miss it.

Feel sad that generations that are growing up now will never understand the magic of what woolies was - if that makes sense
  • AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've slowly become more used to what's replaced the Woolworth's from my childhood (Iceland, H&M and Peacocks, respectively) but for the first year or so when they were just empty buildings with the logo on top was certainly depressing!

I miss the days when they sold pretty much everything from stuffed toys (I bought a 'Little Monsters' toy one New Year's Day) to shoes. I used to buy sandwiches from there every day after school, and there used to be a nice cafe in the bigger store we had. It was replaced by the DVD/CD section. VHS's were really popular there in their day too.

I still remember my last ever purchase from Woolworths - a DVD of the 2008 Gladiators series.
  • GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What i don't understand is how could the Administraters sell the woolworth name, Surely it is still owned by Foot Locker/ F W Woolworths Inc. And Woolworths UK simply used the name under license.
    It is possible to own a name/trademark in one country but not in another.
    FW Woolworth must have sold the rights to the name in the UK when they de-merged the UK business, hence why it was IP of Woolworths Group.
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss it, but then again most of it was an overly large store of rubbish.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Christmas hasn't felt the same since Woolworths closed.