Options

Amazon going down the pan

Comments

• Options
    gwynnegwynne Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I'm now on the waiting list for items that were dispatched on Monday. Some arrived on Wednesday, but the others appear to be in Royal Mail limbo. Not really Amazon's fault if there is a delivery backlog I guess. There hasn't really been a lot of snow in this part of the country (yet) this winter, so I guess I hadn't realised what problems it was causing elsewhere. Oh, well, my presents have arrived, it's just presents for everyone else that haven't :D.

Daily Mail said over 4 million parcells (mostly internet purchases) were 'trapped' in courier's warehouses as they were unable to deliver to all parts of the country due to poor weather and blocked roads.
    Problem is-another 4 million parcells are entering the postal chain each day!
    The problem appears to be that our infrastructures are balanced on a knife edge-barely able to cope and all it needs is one slight disruption for the whole chain to collapse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ordered two presents just before the snow hit and then three more ten days later. One of the later gifts arrived after two days then everything else arrived the next day. Can't blame Amazon for the delays caused by the snow and have never had problems with them before.
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have sent two emails asking as to where my parcel is which should have been delivered around 10th December. No reply to either one. Tried to ring them and the message says...very busy try again in two hours!!!:eek:
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    gwynne wrote: »
    Daily Mail said over 4 million parcells (mostly internet purchases) were 'trapped' in courier's warehouses as they were unable to deliver to all parts of the country due to poor weather and blocked roads.
    The problem appears to be that our infrastructures are balanced on a knife edge-barely able to cope and all it needs is one slight disruption for the whole chain to collapse.

I actually asked the Post Woman today, she said they're bogged down with parcels, a lot of them are still being sorted and chances are the stuff I've ordered is one of them.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlizzardUK wrote: »
    Ordered last Thursday night, via Amazon Prime, due last Saturday, still waiting. Normally their prime service gets to me the next day.

I'm currently on a Amazon Prime trial and have been impressed so far - I will probably subscribe if only to avoid HDNL couriers. However, I did order something fairly urgent on Tuesday for next day delivery and it hasn't turned up yet - the tracking status is showing as it being stuck in Fife.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    gwynne wrote: »

It probably doesn't help that more people will try shopping online because they can't get into town because of the weather :D.
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Never had a problem with Amazon.

When I ordered my Kindle, with standard free delivery, it came in 2 days.

When I ordered some books recently, which Royal Mail lost (left 'while you were out' card, promised to deliver the next day, didn't, and then claimed they'd never had them), Amazon instantly sent out a replacement set and upgraded the postage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never had a problem till recently - some christmas presents came in their box (no cardboard at all), to make matters worst intended recipients in my family had to answer the door to sign for them and saw their presents.

So Amazon has arguably ruined christmas for my family. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing that is annoying me at the moment is that I keep getting emails from Amazon saying you can still order for Christmas etc well I'm still waiting on something I ordered over 2 weeks ago.

I know that they can't do anything about the weather so I'm not going to get onto them for something outwith their control but surely if there is this huge backlog they should suspend future orders so they can honour existing orders. I would be very annoyed if someone ordered something this week and received it before Christmas while I dont receive mine.
    I guess they figure that once it goes to Royal Mail it isn't their problem anymore but I think that is a cop out
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well seems the power od having a moan on here has worked - the package has arrived !! : -)
  • Options
    rossi_drrossi_dr Posts: 1,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon "contact us" is a joke email & tel
    yet i see ppl on twitter saying they got there goods they recently ordered
    but this is weeks after some of ours were ordered and dispatched
    very poor service not happy at all
    one is for a Birthday on Sunday :(
  • Options
    madlh100madlh100 Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    I know.

It's because of the weather.

I ordered some RAM for my computer still hasn't come nearly 3 weeks later. :(
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a little worried about an envelope i posted on 7th Dec. It still hasnt reached its destination, which is scotland.

I just put it in the normal mail, not special delivery, and im really worried its got lost :eek:
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My items were dispatched on 5th December and still haven't arrived yet. According to the Royal Mail tracker it's 'being progressed through our network for delivery', so I don't know if it's Amazon's problem or Royal Mail's, but I know Amazon have a big warehouse in Scotland where the item is.

Either way though, not impressed. I wouldn't mind if they'd said it would be late arriving or would take longer than usual. But it said 3-5 working days. I'd have got it somewhere else if they'd just said it would take a long time!
  • Options
    Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More people online shopping + realy bad weather + Royal mail cutbacks = no pressies for some.

I ordered 2 weeks earlier than I normally would, really glad I did as last arrived yesterday.

Will be interesting to see how many people shopped online this year, biggest ever amount this year I expect.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,101
    Forum Member
    rossi_dr wrote: »
    Amazon "contact us" is a joke email & tel

That's my biggest problem with them. I'm a very regular Amazon customer and everything else with them is fine, but a next-day item hasn't arrived yet after a week and they haven't even replied to my query about it. The backlog I understand but they need to reply to queries about them otherwise a normally happy customer becomes an irrate customer and their reputation starts to take a hit.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »
    That's my biggest problem with them. I'm a very regular Amazon customer and everything else with them is fine, but a next-day item hasn't arrived yet after a week and they haven't even replied to my query about it. The backlog I understand but they need to reply to queries about them otherwise a normally happy customer becomes an irrate customer and their reputation starts to take a hit.

Its weird, but Amazon are still offering delivery before Xmas on their website. I just ordered 3 CDs and a DVD. They aren't Christmas pressies, i just want them so the time delay isnt a worry. But they offered me the option to pick a faster delivery date, for more money of course, which seems madness given how many people are complaining.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    I actually asked the Post Woman today, she said they're bogged down with parcels, a lot of them are still being sorted and chances are the stuff I've ordered is one of them.
    Yours, mine, and several million others. Nothing to do but wait and hope they can sort it out and it doesn't snow again in the meantime, really.
    Candy39 wrote: »
    The thing that is annoying me at the moment is that I keep getting emails from Amazon saying you can still order for Christmas etc well I'm still waiting on something I ordered over 2 weeks ago.

I know that they can't do anything about the weather so I'm not going to get onto them for something outwith their control but surely if there is this huge backlog they should suspend future orders so they can honour existing orders. I would be very annoyed if someone ordered something this week and received it before Christmas while I dont receive mine.
    That seems a bit petty...
    I guess they figure that once it goes to Royal Mail it isn't their problem anymore but I think that is a cop out
    I think it's perfectly logical, myself.
  • Options
    NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Its weird, but Amazon are still offering delivery before Xmas on their website. I just ordered 3 CDs and a DVD. They aren't Christmas pressies, i just want them so the time delay isnt a worry. But they offered me the option to pick a faster delivery date, for more money of course, which seems madness given how many people are complaining.

Waiting on a Kindle ordered on on Sunday as a prezzie.

'In Transit' - says the tracking.

Yes, but wjhere ??

Glasgow, London, Swansea, Doncaster, just round the corner ? Who knows :-(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never had a problem (so far)
  • Options
    cloudfactorycloudfactory Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as moreand more people use amazon then i would imagine they are getting bussier therefore it takes longer for stuff to be delivered.
  • Options
    bob fossilbob fossil Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are using the weather as a convenient excuse for everything. I placed an order which I was told had definitely been dispatched, then they said it was due to the weather, then the order had become "stuck" and finally admitted it was out of stock. Ordered it from somewhere else on Monday and it was delivered on Wednesday
    Now waiting for a book and DVD that was supposed to arrive on the 8th December.
    Will only be using them for Kindle books in future
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I had a parcel turn up from Amazon today, so I'm just waiting for a couple of DVDs from them now. It looks like Christmas is back on!
  • Options
    m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JethroUK wrote: »
    No he isn't - Amazon are excellent company - I would guess I spend more money with amazon than anyone on this thread - I must spent £500 ish with them in the last month alone

I have <<< never >>>> had a late delivery in all the years I've dealt with them - but Amazons offer of 'free' delivery is not quick - you have to pay extra for express - so maybe that explains why I'm happy when other aren't

In fact I always choose free/whenever delivery and so am pleasantly suprised when i ordered Call of Duty Black Ops and it was delivered <next day> (day of release)

Quite contrary - allllllllllll mine are on time - ergo so have the vast majority

you should also consider that most people posting to 'this thread' will be here specifically to bitch about amazon
    Is that so? I wonder why it managed to make the news last night. Could it possibly be that a lot of Amazon customers haven't actually received their goods on time, or are they all a lot of Amazon bitchers too?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »

I've just had the same thing, I ordered a book on Friday which should have arrived Monday. No sign of it yet and I can't get through on the phone, I'm going to try an email tonight.

To be fair to amazon I ordered one or two other things this week and they have all arrived and an item from another company has also arrived. So I think this one is a lost cause that's forever going to be stuck in a Royal Mail warehouse, like the stuff I ordered from Apple in October. They replaced it but the original order has never arrived. It's a pain trying to sort it all out even though I don't think it's Amazons fault, it's just so busy with the time of year and the snow.