Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 9)

Comments

• MaksonMakson Posts: 30,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So everyone is blaming Carla for Kal's death thinking her drunken behaviour lead to an unattended candle causing the fire.....fair enough I suppose.
    However, you'd think Leanne would be feeling the biggest pangs of guilt and not also pointing the finger of blame at Carla, considering it was her actions of dashing into the burning apartment that actually triggered Kal to reluctantly go running in after her?!
  • Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    I loved how Jason called Todd out on the ridiculousness about his scar. I could barely even see it during tonight's episodes and I have strong short sighted glasses!:D The way Todd acts, you'd think he'd had half of his face mangled.
  • Melisende_PFMelisende_PF Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    I laughed out loud, when, at the funeral reception, someone went on how Kal put his army training to use when rescuing Amy. It doesn't say much for British military training when you didn't even have the sense to sling a small kid over your shoulder and get the hell out of a burning room and down a ladder as fast as you possibly can.

The reactions and motivations of the Corrie denizens continues to defy belief as well. Is there any human being who sets up this amazingly complicated revenge on his brother and Mom because they didn't turn up at a restaurant? Wouldn't a normal person accept responsibility for the fact that he headed to another location and accept that the mugging was a random act? And this so-called scar is so minor....you're really going to ruin your families life over it? And wouldn't any normal person have at least gotten a phone number or current picture of the online blind date from out of country before the meeting? So you could call in case he doesn't show up? And when he's over 10 min. late, wouldn't you just grab your current date and get the heck out of there?

And that there's not one person willing to state the obvious ...like when Sophie is bitching at Karla. I would have have told the bitch that no one asked Madeh to cross a yellow police tape and that blame Karla for that is way out of line. Take some freakin' responsibility and admit Madeh was as much to blame for getting injured as anyone!
    And that, as it's been pointed out, Leanne doesn't shoulder one iota of blame for getting Kal to run into a burning building.

And that Karla meekly accepts the verdict that she was drinking and left the candle on when she wasn't drunk...again, makes no sense. And that ANYONE is still friends with a bitter and twisted character like Norris who doesn't have one redeeming quality! Why would you waste 5 min. socializing with him? No one can be that hard up for company.

One could go on and on about how untrue to life most of these character's reactions to things are.... which is a shame. The reason I was a devoted Corrie fan for years was because it was a realistic slice of life as compared to the fairy tale American soaps. But these days there's so much SOR.
  • cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that too, so replayed it again in slow motion, Jason did punch him on the side he was holding.

Just done the same, and still looks like punched on "scar side" and then holding "non scar side"! :D

Here's another observation after watching it mind - why is it when there's a fight, they (almost) never get to have an actual, well, fight? It's usually one punch followed by someone pulling the attacker away, without the "victim" getting a chance to fight back. I do recall many, many moons ago Ken and Mike Baldwin getting to exchange blows, but that was a rarity. The SOR last night was that is was muscle man Sean who pulled wimpy Jason away! :D

(NB: Not advocating violence you understand, but a little realism would be appreciated!)
  • cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Followed by the final departure taxi cliche for the 4,857th time.

Think I must have dropped off, as I didn't remember this! (not saying it didn't happen, as it clearly did, but I literally must have dozed off......)

Anyway, do we know if he has gone gone, or just disappeared for a while before coming back with all of this forgotten? Please let it be gone gone......
  • SoapyMcSoapSoapyMcSoap Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually thought in episode 1 that Todd's 'scar' had disappeared.

Totally unrealistic, that anyone's character would change so much, IMO. He was a slightly gormless, but likeable young fellow, if you watch earlier episodes. Then morphed into this sad and bitter little creature. It just makes no sense.

Has the nonsense storyline with Mary's motor home been forgotten about now, yawn.
  • ThumbolinaThumbolina Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I dozed off last week, can somebody please tell me ... did Tracey deliberately light the candle and place it under the lamp knowing it would set on fire or did she light the candle and unintentionally place it under the lamp so it was sort of an accident?
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    swill wrote: »
    Why was Dev wearing that white Muslim dress and not a suit?

I thought he was Hindu - near enough for Blackburn I suppose... :rolleyes:
    Hindus, Muslims and Buddhists wear white. Most Christians, except Quakers, wear black. Most other religions traditionally wear black, although western funeral wear is becoming more relaxed.

So Dev probably wore white to a Muslim funeral because white is also worn for funerals of his own religion of Hindu. He wears a dark suit to Christian funerals most likely because that's how he dresses every day. If he wore Hindu dress all of the time as some do, he'd probably attend a Christian funeral in white also, just the same as the non-Muslim men attended Kal's funeral in dark suits which would be their everyday formal dress, or what they would wear for some occupations or what they would normally wear for a funeral of their own religion (or lack of).

Not an SOR at all.
  • stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think lloyd has disappeared so that
    craig charles can do red dwarf

dev wants to hug his children?

you abandoned them for four months you selfish get, why not take them with you?
  • Lost TripperLost Tripper Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup, punched on left chops, clutching right! :D

The bruise HAS to show on his right cheek as it could have affected the operation of his Amazing Changing Scar on the left, which is where he definitely copped the right-hander from Jason.

And why did it take so long before anyone got angry with him instead of being just resigned to his behaviour?
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Andrea pregnant? She looked bigger when she was standing in the taxi place chatting to Eileen

(Sorry I know its not an SOR.....)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE British military training when you didn't even have the sense to sling a small kid over your shoulder

It used to be part of the compulsory annual basic fitness test to run three miles and then at the end to make best speed carrying someone of your own weight for 200 yards in a fireman's lift over the shoulders. And then they would carry you back.

Carrying a small girl would have been a doddle for anyone, let alone a Personal Fitness Trainer.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thumbolina wrote: »
    I think I dozed off last week, can somebody please tell me ... did Tracey deliberately light the candle and place it under the lamp knowing it would set on fire or did she light the candle and unintentionally place it under the lamp so it was sort of an accident?

It was the latter so it was sort of an accident. She heard a flush coming from the direction of the bathroom (not knowing at the time that Amy was there) and hurriedly left the flat quickly, placing the candle down under the lamp.

However just before all of that she grabbed an ornament with the intention of whacking it over a sleeping Carla's head but then changed her mind at the last second so her initial intention was to kill Carla but by another means when she first entered the flat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After two weeks hols we caught up on The Amateur Dramatic Programme and of course the great posts about it.

My first thought was it is so amateurishly put together that it was like the school play before realising this was unfair to children and teachers who work so hard to make their productions a success.

So many things have been already noted but I can't recall any mention of the phrase 'Why isn't anyone doing something?' made by three young women in quite rapid succession. Silly on the two occasions outside the flat when all sorts was going on but even dafter when the heart monitor at the hospital goes off and Maddie's girlfriend immediately asks why noone is doing anything.

'Stupid girl' as Captain Mainwairing might say followed by 'stupid writers and stupid production crew'. Stupid actors perhaps too as one would think they might point out the glaring errors, such as Todd turning the other cheek.

Rant over, time for brekkie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE British military training when you didn't even have the sense to sling a small kid over your shoulder

It used to be part of the compulsory annual basic fitness test to run three miles and then at the end to make best speed carrying someone of your own weight for 200 yards in a fireman's lift over the shoulders. And then they would carry you back.

Carrying a small girl would have been a doddle for anyone, let alone a Personal Fitness Trainer.

it's probably more to do with child protection law with child actors that prevent them physically manhandling the child whilst filming, in a real emergency we'd just pick her up and run
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    more sor to follow next week when
    jenny abducts jack in broard daylight without a disguise
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    stevepjk wrote: »
    it's probably more to do with child protection law with child actors that prevent them physically manhandling the child whilst filming, in a real emergency we'd just pick her up and run

No its not.
    Even if there was a legal issue, all we need to be shown is Kal picking up the child and/or putting the child down at the bottom of the ladder. No "manhandling" involved.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Thumbolina wrote: »

I think she did put it there by accident so she will get away with it..Mind the fact that she broke into the flat even though she had a set of keys !.
  • desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Andrea pregnant? She looked bigger when she was standing in the taxi place chatting to Eileen

(Sorry I know its not an SOR.....)

I thought this as well, when she was standing in the cab office and wearing that bl**dy awful Aztec type top she definitely looked pregnant. And not a big handbag in sight!:D

BTW, does Andrea work in the cab office now? She always seems to be hanging around either the office or the pub. No time for "work"
  • honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    I thought this as well, when she was standing in the cab office and wearing that bl**dy awful Aztec type top she definitely looked pregnant. And not a big handbag in sight!:D

BTW, does Andrea work in the cab office now? She always seems to be hanging around either the office or the pub. No time for "work"

Didnt she run the cab office while Lloyd was seeing his daughter in jail or something?

David and Nick were saying how "mad" it was that Andy stole Gavin's identity. Then David said "yeah but we've done madder" :confused: When? When has Nick ever done anything even slightly out of the ordinary let alone "mad" :D
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did she leave her job at the hotel? What happened to the house she had with her husband?
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Did she leave her job at the hotel? What happened to the house she had with her husband?

She must have forgot about it. Its easily done. :D
  • Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    So everyone is blaming Carla for Kal's death thinking her drunken behaviour lead to an unattended candle causing the fire.....fair enough I suppose.
    However, you'd think Leanne would be feeling the biggest pangs of guilt and not also pointing the finger of blame at Carla, considering it was her actions of dashing into the burning apartment that actually triggered Kal to reluctantly go running in after her?!
    I didn't think Carla looked particularly sozzled at the reception and don't recall her drinking much at home.
    She was asleep on the sofa in her wedding outfit, so perhaps we're supposed to infer from that that she was plastered.
    If she was drunk at the reception, Liz should never have asked her to look after Amy.

As far as the Battersby-Brown/Tinker/Sutherland sleeping arrangements are concerned, is it not a 3 bedroomed house? There is no way he'd be sharing a bedroom with Sinead and Ches.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My heart sank when Eileen arranged to meet 'Jeff from Dubai' in The Bistro.
    Once again no bars seem to exist out side the confines of the street
    Forum Member
    Anya D wrote: »
    I didn't think Carla looked particularly sozzled at the reception and don't recall her drinking much at home.
    She was asleep on the sofa in her wedding outfit, so perhaps we're supposed to infer from that that she was plastered.
    If she was drunk at the reception, Liz should never have asked her to look after Amy.

As far as the Battersby-Brown/Tinker/Sutherland sleeping arrangements are concerned, is it not a 3 bedroomed house? There is no way he'd be sharing a bedroom with Sinead and Ches.

I think they are mostly three bedroom houses.

Carla was sober enough to be making some sort of dairy free Belgian chocolate drink and chat to Amy, although I have no idea why she would go to sleep at about eight o clock unless she passed out? It would be out of character for her to get sozzled looking after Amy, and she seemed sober when she was dragged out so none of it makes sense.
This discussion has been closed.