Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 9)

Comments

• Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Lou_25 wrote: »
    It seems in really bad taste to me that they are taking so long to write Dierdre's character out. I'm sure in the past it has only been a few weeks between an actor dying and Corrie including their death in the storylines. It was making me think they were going to bring in another actress to play Dierdre - glad they're not.
    It's not bad taste at all - it's showing respect for both the actress and her family to think about it and to get it right.

It would have been bad taste if it was done as you appear to be suggesting "Annie's dead so lets write Deirdre (note the spelling) out quickly so we can get on with it without her."
  • RedpoppyRedpoppy Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dobbybear wrote: »
    Why on Friday did Sean say he had taken flowers to Sinead in hospital, when there has been no mention of her returning to hospital? Half hearted writing once again no doubt so the actress can have a break

I thought I must have missed something when I heard that :confused:
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redpoppy wrote: »

Yes, apparently she's having her sinuses drained, so that she sounds like the original Sinead and not the dozy half-wit she now sounds like in order to become Chesney's girlfriend.
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »
    It's not bad taste at all - it's showing respect for both the actress and her family to think about it and to get it right.

It would have been bad taste if it was done as you appear to be suggesting "Annie's dead so lets write Deirdre (note the spelling) out quickly so we can get on with it without her."

It also helped (OK probably not the right word) that Deirdre was temporarily out of the story anyway, so they could put a bit of long-term thought into it. If she had passed away while she was actively shooting episodes it would have been a great deal more problematic. Presumably Arthur Leslie was written out so swiftly because Jack was in the day-to-day storyline - I don't know, I have to confess, as it's a few years before I started watching :)
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Yes, apparently she's having her sinuses drained, so that she sounds like the original Sinead and not the dozy half-wit she now sounds like in order to become Chesney's girlfriend.

Good grief you are right there, her speech does seem to be more slow and bunged up these days..could be a reaction to her homemade bath products though..meh she needs to make more eucalyptus things then!

:D
  • stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »

Must be hard for the cast filming this weeks episodes, like grieving all over again
  • dobbybeardobbybear Posts: 18,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Redpoppy wrote: »

No definately don't think we have missed anything, just weak corrie writing once again
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My concern would be a 'normal' funeral and no 4 horses and carriage do.
  • RedpoppyRedpoppy Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm confused as to why Cathy was washing herself in the Rovers' ladies a couple of weeks ago and dropping all her shopping in the street. Thought they were leading up to a 'homeless' storyline rather than a 'hoarder' one! :confused:
  • JohnDoe14JohnDoe14 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dobbybear wrote: »
    Why on Friday did Sean say he had taken flowers to Sinead in hospital, when there has been no mention of her returning to hospital? Half hearted writing once again no doubt so the actress can have a break

What does she need a break from? She's barely been in it all year despite having one of the most hyped up storylines of the year.
  • dobbybeardobbybear Posts: 18,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JohnDoe14 wrote: »
    What does she need a break from? She's barely been in it all year despite having one of the most hyped up storylines of the year.

Agree with you there. So why have they dropped this weird bit in about Sean visiting her in hospital, do they think we are psychic now as viewers and know what is going on with everybody:)
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevepjk wrote: »
    Must be hard for the cast filming this weeks episodes, like grieving all over again

I thought Ken handled it well this evening, but Liz, I felt could have broken down at one time.
  • Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's been said before but the way Audrey, etc talk in the salon about their private lives, especially Kylie's drugs therapy, in front (or behind!) all their customers is totally absurd. (And very rude as well.)
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's been said before but the way Audrey, etc talk in the salon about their private lives, especially Kylie's drugs therapy, in front (or behind!) all their customers is totally absurd. (And very rude as well.)

I had to laugh too at Aud tonight doing her usual "poke at the customer's hair with the back of the brush" that seems to be her signature style:D
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    Has Callum always lived in that flat? For some reason, I thought he lived with his mum.

I'd like to know how he got the flat though - does he pay for it with the spoils of his drug-dealing?

I had to laugh when he tore down the poster in Max's bedroom in a fit of rage. He's just soooo butch!!
  • MeldrewmanMeldrewman Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    I had to laugh too at Aud tonight doing her usual "poke at the customer's hair with the back of the brush" that seems to be her signature style:D

We were becoming increasingly fascinated by it - more so than usual last night.

And Maria making a pig's ear of the rollers!
  • SoapyMcSoapSoapyMcSoap Posts: 1,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »

In between lots of patting at the customer's head :D.
  • stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Callum always lived in that flat? For some reason, I thought he lived with his mum.

I'd like to know how he got the flat though - does he pay for it with the spoils of his drug-dealing?

I had to laugh when he tore down the poster in Max's bedroom in a fit of rage. He's just soooo butch!!

I thought the drum kit was going to get it.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member

I think he only said he was living with his mam to get custody of Max it would appear to be a more stable situation to the mediator..I said to my husband thats a very black white and red flat ? he said to me ....ermmm just look in the kitchen...red white and black :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    Good grief you are right there, her speech does seem to be more slow and bunged up these days..could be a reaction to her homemade bath products though..meh she needs to make more eucalyptus things then!

:D

Can't stop laughing. I find her very hard to listen to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, that showed what a tough guy he is. :D
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    All I can say to Liz is 'fool me once'. Silly bint jumping straight into the frying pan. When all this malarkey between her and Dan is over, she's going to be in tears, sobbing to Michelle.

"How could I be soooooooooo stupid?" >:(

Corrie did have one nice scene last night between Leanne, Kylie and Gail. Three fiesty women who had a civilised conversation! And the writers finally remembered that it was David who kicked out Kylie and she let him have it. :)

It was a really hammy scene. How many times have we seen a character in rage take it out on objects. Or if you're Liz break stuff because Tony's "outsmarted" you.

The guy who plays Callum seems a nice chap, but he just doesn't do villain well. What on earth possessed the Corrie producers to sign him up? What potential did they see during his screen tests with Paula Lane?

"Ooh, nice bit of furry chest hair." *rolleyes*

Jez Quigley was camp all day long, but he was a proper villain. He knew how to push people's buttons and his mob scared the life out of Steve and Leanne.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member

Didn't Kylie say something about it being nicer than his old place ( I assume she meant the grotty tenement where David went looking for her). Obviously he can't always have lived there or the dopey blonde couldnt have lured Kylie there. They also said something about renting because "who'd give me a mortgage?" Presumably he's come to some sort of cash deal with the landlord
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Abriel wrote: »
    Didn't Kylie say something about it being nicer than his old place ( I assume she meant the grotty tenement where David went looking for her). Obviously he can't always have lived there or the dopey blonde couldnt have lured Kylie there. They also said something about renting because "who'd give me a mortgage?" Presumably he's come to some sort of cash deal with the landlord

'Yeh But, No But' lured Kylie to the flat with an 'emergency' which turned out to be false. Kylie then asked "Who lives here then?" which is when Callum was seen sitting on the sofa. So yes Callum has only recently moved in and it wasn't the old grotty flat that David & Eva visited a few months ago when they went looking for Kylie.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I can say to Liz is 'fool me once'. Silly bint jumping straight into the frying pan. When all this malarkey between her and Dan is over, she's going to be in tears, sobbing to Michelle.

"How could I be soooooooooo stupid?" >:(

Corrie did have one nice scene last night between Leanne, Kylie and Gail. Three fiesty women who had a civilised conversation! And the writers finally remembered that it was David who kicked out Kylie and she let him have it. :)

It was a really hammy scene. How many times have we seen a character in rage take it out on objects. Or if you're Liz break stuff because Tony's "outsmarted" you.

The guy who plays Callum seems a nice chap, but he just doesn't do villain well. What on earth possessed the Corrie producers to sign him up? What potential did they see during his screen tests with Paula Lane?

"Ooh, nice bit of furry chest hair." *rolleyes*

Jez Quigley was camp all day long, but he was a proper villain. He knew how to push people's buttons and his mob scared the life out of Steve and Leanne.

Yes I enjoyed that scene too as it felt natural and it was nice to see Gail acting "normal" again.
This discussion has been closed.