Should child abusers spend life in prison?

Comments

• dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jailing these perverts til they die is one of the few things I'd be happy to pay more taxes for
  • Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do some on here assume that paedophiles are 'men'????

what do you call the woman who sleeps with her friends 14yo son?

What do you call the 21 yo who sleeps with his 13yo 'girlfriend'

what do you call the 13 yo boy who rapes a 5 yo?

do I need to go on?

Paedophiles are NOT JUST MEN......

You'll find a number of school children are being taught in classrooms with other children who have raped/attacked and sexually abused (sodomised) other children..... - the only difference is only 'certain' people are made aware of this particular childs background.....

And remember it is only once a person (man/woman/child) is caught doing these heinous acts, that you actually are aware of this part of their character.....
    how do you feel if it is your own son (under 18) who is the abuser of another much younger child?
    How do you feel if it is your husband that is the local kiddie fiddler?
    How do you feel if it is your own wife/partner/Gf that is the one who is 'grooming' local teenage boys?

How do you chemically castrate a woman? or even another child?

I'm just saying is not all clear cut and final......... and I am not excusing what some people do either.... I'm just not into the whole'pitchfork' mentality about lynching people....
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Although I certainly don't have any liberal values. For me if someone does anything like child abusing, murder, rape etc - prison for life. They often re offend when released - lock them up for life - if they are capable of doing it, they may do it again. Simple as.

I will always remember being on a jury, and the guy being accused of doing stuff to 7 girls.... turned out he had re-offended. Sickening, how could he be released.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it isn't obvious.

If you lock someone up for life then they become a permanent drain on resource, it is appalling asset management. If you help that person rehabilitate then they can become a net contributor to society instead of a drain. Who could find argument against that?

Personally I don't think someone who has been convicted of multiple counts child rape deserves, or should ever be given the chance to be rehabilitated. For lesser child abuse charges I agree though, but only if they are chemically castrated, to make their sex drive non-existent.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you really think that raping a 6 yr old is the same as saying they wear silly shoes?

No, but the point being made is that a knee-jerk response is "All child abusers should be locked up" without even trying to define what 'child abuse' actually is.

Then they try and define it as, "all paedophiles should be locked up" without actually grasping the fact being a paedphile is not in the slightest bit illegal.

You've thrown in some well-placed hyperbole to try and ridicule the point being made, but a simple, one size fits all, 'all child abusers must be locked up for life' doesn't take into consideration the different shades of grey that constitutes child abuse.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Yes. Although I certainly don't have any liberal values. For me if someone does anything like child abusing, murder, rape etc - prison for life. They often re offend when released - lock them up for life - if they are capable of doing it, they may do it again. Simple as.

I will always remember being on a jury, and the guy being accused of doing stuff to 7 girls.... turned out he had re-offended. Sickening, how could he be released.

I'm sure you've got some evidence or links behind these stats, other than your one experience on jury service?
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    academia wrote: »
    Yes, these people are calculating and manipulative, not drink fuelled, not remorseful. Treating them as if they could be brought to understand the damage they have done is a very bad joke on children. They know what they have done - they get off on a child's fear, pain and humiiation. They ENJOY it.

This is true of some of them no doubt, but not all paedophile's are the same. There's a lot of tabloid fueled, knee jerk, ignorance on here (as ever) about this subject.

Until we are able to understand what causes someone to have these urges, and then what causes someone to act on them we are never going to be able to attempt to prevent such behaviour happening in the first place. That means that there will have to have been at least one victim before we can even hope to take the offender out of circulation. These are the children we are failing if we don't attempt to gain an understanding of the behaviour at all and instead just chunter on about hanging being too good for them.

Of course offenders deemed to remain a danger to the community should be kept locked up in an ideal world. I wouldn't restrict this to just paedophiles, I would include rapists and murderers in that category as well. Unfortunately we can't afford to just throw away the key on so many, so given that these offenders will almost all be released at some point it seems ridiculous not to make our best attempt to rehabilitate them and break the pattern of reoffending while we have them in the system. We are extraordinarily bad at this right now so a change in approach could only be a good thing imo.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but the point being made is that a knee-jerk response is "All child abusers should be locked up" without even trying to define what 'child abuse' actually is.

Then they try and define it as, "all paedophiles should be locked up" without actually grasping the fact being a paedphile is not in the slightest bit illegal.

You've thrown in some well-placed hyperbole to try and ridicule the point being made, but a simple, one size fits all, 'all child abusers must be locked up for life' doesn't take into consideration the different shades of grey that constitutes child abuse.

See above. I don't think that all child abusers should be locked up for life. Only the most serious offenders, hence why I said rape/multiple rape in my previous threads.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As with any other type of criminal, it should depend on individual circumstances, severity of crime, etc. I don't see that child abusers should be uniquely required to rot in jail. There are crimes against adults that are equally abhorrent.
  • DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    So if you've ever called a kid a name, given them a chinese burn or joked at their dress sense you'll be required to spend the rest of your life behind bars!!! probably the entire nation will be behind bars and even the kids from about 5 or 6 will be in juve detention for laughing when someone fell over during PE

Janet Street-Porter is up for it then. She's already accused Prince George of cross-dressing. Like the kid gets much say. Nasty, vile woman.
  • anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »
    Chemical castration isn't actually effective, and thats coming from sex offenders themselves. On my phone so can't find a source currently

Actually that's not true. I used to dislike the idea for two reasons. Firstly, sexuality is a human trait but also for the reasons you state.

In fact, research has shown it can be extremely effective. And indeed, while I would have thought that sex offenders would have loathed such a treatment, some beg for it. Indeed, I've heard some say that the overwhelming feeling they had when given libido inhibiting drugs was relief.

I'm pro this now. But that isn't to say it works for every single offender.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/jan/18/chemical-castration-soft-option-sex-offenders

The problem with sexual offending is that it has several motivating factors. With some - it's accompanied by a deep rooted personality disorder and these are the types that would always be a risk - if not sexually that in some other way. But this number is quite low.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you voluntarily request chemical castraton fair enough but it shouldn't be compulsory.
  • anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you voluntarily request chemical castraton fair enough but it shouldn't be compulsory.

I'm torn. For the more potent drugs, there are pretty horrid side effects. Bone thinning, breast growth and other not particularly nice things.

But with certain offenders (those for whom sexuality has become a kind of obsessive compulsive disorder), I feel that if they are high risk, it should be a factor in a parole decision.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why oh why is there this constant total and utter obsession with child abusers?
    Yes it's disgusting but some act like it's the only disgusting crime on the planet and out-trumps any and all others.

I don't think that this obsession with some is actually very healthy in itself.

It does out trump any other crime. Children are helpless against adults.
    Now we discover that perpetrators have been getting away with it for years.
    People are angry. People want something done. That is a healthy attitude when faced with a great injustice. especially one as cruel in nature as this.
  • evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Doctor_Wibble;79051449]My take on the remark is that it is about understanding what in someone's mind is broken, rather than any kind of 'sympathetic' interpretation.
    It sounded strictly diagnostic, not sure if it necessarily included brain slices for examination though I dare say that approach might get a lot of support![/QUOTE]

Oh it's broken alright! Shame the perverts neck can't be as well.>:( Really find some of the soft-soaping on here quite sickening tbh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wise-up wrote: »
    If we understand paeodos we can prevent other people becoming them and be able to spot the typical behaviours of them so we can report them sooner.

Oh please, I've never heard such rot. You really don't live up to your user name, do you;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    evie71 wrote: »
    [/B]

Oh please, I've never heard such rot. You really don't live up to your user name, do you;-)

That was harsh Evie! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Men wrote: »
    That was harsh Evie! :o

Not really. I thought the poster was being incredibly naive thinking it's as simple as that. Did not meant to sound harsh.
    Forum Member
    evie71 wrote: »
    Not really. I thought the poster was being incredibly naive thinking it's as simple as that. Did not meant to sound harsh.

The user name bit made me gasp!
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    wise-up wrote: »
    If we understand paeodos we can prevent other people becoming them and be able to spot the typical behaviours of them so we can report them sooner.

There is no such thing as typical behaviour, or typical kind of person who does this, that is why so many have and do get away with it.
    Forum Member
    Chemical castration sounds awful.
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Perhaps we might start considering children as society's assets who will become net contributors if not broken by abusers. Perhaps children's safety should be the priority when sentencing paedophiles. Giving paedophiles a second chance puts them first and might well me a child having no chance of growing up healthy and sound.
    Children come first.

Well said. I get heartily sick of all the attention being focussed on the abuser and what would be best for them.
    Forum Member
    sutie wrote: »
    Well said. I get heartily sick of all the attention being focussed on the abuser and what would be best for them.

Do you think that victims get enough support?
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you think that victims get enough support?

10% of them go on to become abusers themselves.

Clearly they didn't get enough support.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chemical castration sounds awful.

Sexually abusing innocent children is far worse.