Options

Fresh Fields ITV3 6/1/14 4.05pm

ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,048
Forum Member
ITV3 will be re-running this 80's sitcom starring Julia McKenzie and the late Anton Rodgers. As far as I recall I've never seen this repeated so it's overdue a re-run. I watched this as a child, but can't remember if it's any good or not! At least ITV3 have a 'new' sitcom to repeat :D they've repeated Barbara, Second Thoughts, the follow up to Second Thoughts (can't remember the name!), The Upper Hand and Duty Free rather a lot over the past year or so.

What other shows would you like ITV3 to repeat? I'm going for:

The Beiderbecke trilogy (I've seen a bit of the 'Affair' but that's it)
Surgical Spirit
At Home With the Braithwaites
The Grimleys (because I've never seen it)

Comments

• Options
    pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would to see after henry and shelly repeated
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pembo2004 wrote: »
    I would to see after henry and shelly repeated

Nearest And Dearest
    Selwyn Froggit
    The Gaffer
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV3 will be re-running this 80's sitcom starring Julia McKenzie and the late Anton Rodgers. As far as I recall I've never seen this repeated so it's overdue a re-run. I watched this as a child, but can't remember if it's any good or not! At least ITV3 have a 'new' sitcom to repeat :D they've repeated Barbara, Second Thoughts, the follow up to Second Thoughts (can't remember the name!), The Upper Hand and Duty Free rather a lot over the past year or so.

Surgical Spirit

'It's only Sonia!!'
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Nearest And Dearest
    Selwyn Froggit
    The Gaffer

I used to get annoyed as a kid wondering why people laughed at the parking ticket opening bit when we had seen it every week, I was a naïve child
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With 4 Channels to fill I'm surprise ITV isn't rummaging in its vaults to find these vintage sit-coms to fill their schedules.

I suppose it's not as simole as just showing them, legal stuff and repeat fees are a problem, I mean is Bill Manyard even still alive ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With 4 Channels to fill I'm surprise ITV isn't rummaging in its vaults to find these vintage sit-coms to fill their schedules.

I suppose it's not as simole as just showing them, legal stuff and repeat fees are a problem, I mean is Bill Manyard even still alive ?

Yes Bill Maynard is still alive, he's 85.

I'd like to see The Gaffer again, another one from childhood but I was a bit young at the time so it's very hazy. I remember the theme song, that's about it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    'It's only Sonia!!'

I seem to recall a dumpy little woman who kept coming round all the time for this and that, just walking in and saying that phrase :)
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    'It's only Sonia!!'

It was a catchphrase that my friends and I used a lot at the time.

I wonder if they will also show the follow up series French Fields where they located to, surprisingly enough, France.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to recall a dumpy little woman who kept coming round all the time for this and that, just walking in and saying that phrase :)

Ann Beach played her, she was the mother of Charlotte Coleman, who played Scarlett in Four Weddings and a Funeral. Sadly Charlotte died in 2001 from an Asthma attack.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Ann Beach played her, she was the mother of Charlotte Coleman, who played Scarlett in Four Weddings and a Funeral. Sadly Charlotte died in 2001 from an Asthma attack.

Of course, yes I'd forgotten that Ann was Charlotte's mum. Charlotte was very talented, I remember her first in Worzel Gummidge, then as Marmalade Atkins! She was great in Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, probably her best work (that I've seen) imo. It was such a shame she died so young, she's sadly missed.
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that just sky+ it :)
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »

Good lord. My mother went to primary school with Ann Beach and they were pals before losing touch...had *no* idea that Charlotte Coleman was her daughter. So sad, she was very talented.

I'll try and catch this, it was a pretty good series and Anton Rodgers was great in everything he did that I've seen, from 'The Prisoner', 'Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased)' etc right up to 'May to December'. Class act.

Loved 'The Gaffer' when I was a kid! Maynard was great, and so was Russell Hunter. (It's on you-tube; just checked. :) )
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Of course, yes I'd forgotten that Ann was Charlotte's mum. Charlotte was very talented, I remember her first in Worzel Gummidge, then as Marmalade Atkins! She was great in Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, probably her best work (that I've seen) imo. It was such a shame she died so young, she's sadly missed.

Here other daughter was also an actress, Lisa Coleman who played nurse Jude in Casualty in the 90s.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was Slinger's Day on ITV? If so, that :)

Seem to remember Andy Capp with James Bolam as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Was Slinger's Day on ITV? If so, that :)

Seem to remember Andy Capp with James Bolam as well.

Yes, Slinger's Day was ITV. Isn't that the one with Bruce Forsyth? There was Tripper's Day before that starring Leonard Rossiter.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to see Kate and Allie repeated some time.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember liking the theme tune and getting annoyed when it became French Fields and they changed it.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

The wonderful Ann Beach. She brought Charlotte and Lisa Coleman into the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I was about 10 or 11 when I last saw this so my memories are a little hazy. I can visualize the Anton and Julia and then the neighbour Sonia, but I'm looking forward to seeing it again to see if it'll actually make me laugh :) I liked it at the time, it was one of those gentle comedies from the mid 80's like Don't Wait Up, No Place Like Home and Three Up, Two Down. I'd like these to be repeated too for nostalgic reasons.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ann was also in one of my favorite Steptoe and Son's. She played a pregnant woman looking for Harold thinking he was the father.

Love this line. H: I've got a cart load out there! A: Yeah, and you've got a pram load in there!

For once it seems that Harold is going to get what he want's a family. Then the real father turns up and once again Harold and Albert are left to themselves. It's one of those episodes where there is great comdey and then drama and pathos. You feel sorry for both of them. It ends with these lines

H: I'm going out to get drunk. A: tearfully. Harold can I come with you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    'What other shows would you like ITV3 to repeat?'
    I'd like to see May to December, Selwyn, Aint Half Hot Mum, Streets of Sanfrancisco, Budgie, Shoestring, Dixon of Dock Green, Taxi, Wilde Alliance, Secret Army...
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    I'd love to see Kate and Allie repeated some time.

Good one. Channel 4 Fridays was it?
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV3 will be re-running this 80's sitcom starring Julia McKenzie and the late Anton Rodgers. .......

Anton Rodgers, a charming man, I met him once after watching him in a play in the west end, he actually let slip that one of the gags in the play went wrong, but as professional as he was we never noticed.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member

Surgical Spirit

Thanks for the reminder. I loved that show. I'll V+ it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yorksdave wrote: »
    Anton Rodgers, a charming man, I met him once after watching him in a play in the west end, he actually let slip that one of the gags in the play went wrong, but as professional as he was we never noticed.

I liked Anton Rodgers, great actor. When I found out a few years ago that he'd died I was shocked because I don't remember there being anything about it in the news at the time. I can't remember what the programme was but they had a role call of all the famous people who had died that year and I couldn't believe it.