Ariel Sharon Has Died

occyoccy Posts: 65,128
Forum Member
✭✭
Former Israeli Prime minister Ariel Sharon Has died. He's been in a semi coma for the last 8 years. He was known as a man of trying to bring peace to Israel.

Comments

• ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An excellent and brave soldier.

RIP
  • Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt the spineless liberal Muslim lovers will be rubbing their hands with glee over this.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He must have been really hated in Israel to keep him alive for 8 years
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't believe that they'd kept him in a coma for 8 years

That just seems a bit cruel

Anyway........I don't know a great deal about him but I assume he was a terrorist in the 1940s ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

Anyway........I don't know a great deal about him but I assume he was a terrorist in the 1940s ?

I saw it reported that by doing so, the family still received his salary and perks for being a government official. It does seem an awful long time before they decided to switch off. Has anything changed or anyone know why the decision was made?
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    I saw it reported that by doing so, the family still received his salary and perks for being a government official. It does seem an awful long time before they decided to switch off. Has anything changed or anyone know why the decision was made?

He took a turn for the worse over Christmas / new year iirc. I guess the body just gave up in the end, some release for the family maybe I guess.
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never good when anyone dies.

I am not sure he will be remembered for trying to bring peace to the region. Peace for Israel is not quite the same as that, of course.

EDIT: And I think it's important to remember that while he is revered in Israel (or by many in Israel at least), he was still controversial in Israel and of course outside of it too.

When someone dies it is easy to err on how "good" or how "evil" they were as a natural conclusion of their efforts over history. While some say he defended his nation well, others may point out what a detrimental impact that had.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one less terrorist
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Dreadful man in my view.

But why his relatives kept him in a state of living death for all these years I find quite astounding.

No one deserves that kind of indignity.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has been as good as dead for 8 years now, so what has changed:confused:

Just another excuse for the media to bombard us all with hours of info about his life story which the average man in the street could not care less about.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if he was aware during the last eight years
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC covered Sharon's death in a way they should have covered Mandela's:

They made it a news item in the news only.
    They discussed what his allies and enemies thought of him.
    They finished and went on to other news.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    one less terrorist

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. But one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he'd been a Muslim then the people praising him would have been demanding his death for committing mass murder.

He was the embodiment of the old adage that good soldiers make poor leaders.

It's ironic that he cleared some settlements when he was the one responsible for the settlements.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    one less terrorist

He was a great man and a hero in my eyes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    Even the "praise" from Bibi wasn't gushing
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While some leaders strive for peace Ariel Sharon strived for war :(
  • BeanybunBeanybun Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was as astonishingly successful soldier, commander and strategist.

A man who successfully fought at every turn create and maintain the state of Israel.

We all know about the Lebanon war and if he had died within 5 or ten years, that would have been how most remembered him and as the godfather of the settler movement.

But the truth and great irony was that he was the man who was strong enough post Rabin to take the painful steps necessary to cede land, to withdraw those settlers and abandon all interest in Gaza, for the security of greater Israel. No one has given an inch of territory since his coma, so to those who want to call him a butcher, blah blah blah, should be careful what they wish for.
  • JunglistSoldierJunglistSoldier Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    Hallelujah. Awful man. Godless Zionist will not be missed.
  • MartenMarten Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Former Israeli Prime minister Ariel Sharon Has died. He's been in a semi coma for the last 8 years. He was known as a man of trying to bring peace to Israel.

How can you claim he tried to bring peace? He has shown no intention whatsover to get peace with the Palestineans, that was very obvious.
  • super-eaglesuper-eagle Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was a terrorist and a thief. He won't be missed.
  • super-eaglesuper-eagle Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beanybun wrote: »
    No one has given an inch of territory since his coma, so to those who want to call him a butcher, blah blah blah, should be careful what they wish for.

I'm so scared.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »

He wasn't really.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »

In the same way as Mandela was.

Sharon had an amazing career. Its marked with tactical brilliance, bold actions, that sometimes go wrong, and stunning strategic success - as when he pushed for the crucial move against Egypt in the 1973 war. That changed the war, provided it with an ending, led to an Israeli-Egyptian peace and changed the course of the cold war and military strategy. The war he got wrong was the invasion of Lebanon to stop attacks on Israel - but no one in Israel or the international community has come up with a way to stop the conflicts and mayhem in Lebanon exploding and crossing the border - Syria also tried invasion and failed, the west tried repeated interventions and failed, and Israel tried the opposite strategy in 2006 and still didn't succeed. The Christians killing the Palestinians, without him stopping them, seems a common problem for the region - most recently as we failed to stop the Sunni and Shia massacring each other in Iraq, or the various factions in Agfghanistan killing each other too. The Jordanians, of course, killed ten times as many Palestinians back in the sixties, and the Syrians killed plenty of Lebanese, and ten times as many of their own people, in the eighties, without anyone mentioning war crimes.

Its one of those strange chances of history that the warrior leaders of Israel who moved closest to a solution to the Palestinian problem were both cut down, by a bullet and stroke, before they could move on from initial steps. It probably made no final difference - as no Palestinian leader has had the will, or control and support, to make peace, and none will try - as they know they will be killed by those who don't want an agreement. It would have been interesting, though, to see what might have changed had Rabin and Sharon stayed in office.
  • BeanybunBeanybun Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the same way as Mandela was.

Sharon had an amazing career. Its marked with tactical brilliance, bold actions, that sometimes go wrong, and stunning strategic success - as when he pushed for the crucial move against Egypt in the 1973 war. That changed the war, provided it with an ending, led to an Israeli-Egyptian peace and changed the course of the cold war and military strategy. The war he got wrong was the invasion of Lebanon to stop attacks on Israel - but no one in Israel or the international community has come up with a way to stop the conflicts and mayhem in Lebanon exploding and crossing the border - Syria also tried invasion and failed, the west tried repeated interventions and failed, and Israel tried the opposite strategy in 2006 and still didn't succeed. The Christians killing the Palestinians, without him stopping them, seems a common problem for the region - most recently as we failed to stop the Sunni and Shia massacring each other in Iraq, or the various factions in Agfghanistan killing each other too. The Jordanians, of course, killed ten times as many Palestinians back in the sixties, and the Syrians killed plenty of Lebanese, and ten times as many of their own people, in the eighties, without anyone mentioning war crimes.

Its one of those strange chances of history that the warrior leaders of Israel who moved closest to a solution to the Palestinian problem were both cut down, by a bullet and stroke, before they could move on from initial steps. It probably made no final difference - as no Palestinian leader has had the will, or control and support, to make peace, and none will try - as they know they will be killed by those who don't want an agreement. It would have been interesting, though, to see what might have changed had Rabin and Sharon stayed in office.

This.

And to super eagle, back to the playground, son.