Options

Enforcement notice

OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
Forum Member
Hi

I am really confused and a bit worried. I have just received an enforcement notice under an environmental act because 'waste was found outside your property on the wrong week'.

I am really confused because it doesn't say on the letter if they are going to fine me or anything but there is also a piece of paper about appeals saying they need to be sent to the magistrate court.

Comments

• Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phone 'em up and ask for proof that you've committed this most heinous of crimes. When they can't offer any, tell 'em where they can stick their bloody notice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, I did try ringing up but it was out of office hours.

I guess it is the type of thing they can't prove I've done but I'm still a bit worried!! I don't understand what the notice even does, I feel like if I needed to go to court or was going to get fined it would say??
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I did try ringing up but it was out of office hours.

I guess it is the type of thing they can't prove I've done but I'm still a bit worried!! I don't understand what the notice even does, I feel like if I needed to go to court or was going to get fined it would say??

They can if they find something with your name/address within the rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    They can if they find something with your name/address within the rubbish.

What will they do if they prove it? As i said I'm more confused/worried about what the thing actually means
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you put the wrong bin out one week?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't listen to anything anyone on this forum tells you. Except this: Go to the Citizens Advice Bureau and explain your problem to them. They'll explain the situation to you, your options, and give you advice based on the decision you make.

Internet forums are a terrible place to get what amounts to legal advice. People don't know what they're talking about and you can't sue them if they give you shit advice which you then rely on to your detriment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did you put the wrong bin out one week?

No we don't have bins I just put out black bin bags every week.

Last week they didn't take my bin bags maybe this is why? It says I put the wrong bin out on the the 23/1.

I just don't understand what is going on - am I going to get a fine or something? There is nothing on the letter about it, just seems really odd. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    proviso wrote: »
    Don't listen to anything anyone on this forum tells you. Except this: Go to the Citizens Advice Bureau and explain your problem to them. They'll explain the situation to you, your options, and give you advice based on the decision you make.

Internet forums are a terrible place to get what amounts to legal advice. People don't know what they're talking about and you can't sue them if they give you shit advice which you then rely on to your detriment.

I will ring the number on the form tomorrow. I am really worried now do you think I need to tell my parents what's happened?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For God's sake, just bin it and forget about it. You're not going to get fined.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »

How do you know that? I am really worried I don't think I'll be able to sleep later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will ring the number on the form tomorrow. I am really worried now do you think I need to tell my parents what's happened?

I don't understand why you would need to tell you parents about anything? It's your house, and the letter is addressed to you?

It's irresponsible for me to give you any advice. I haven't seen the letter. If you are worried about it you should pop in to the CAB and ask them to explain it to you.

It's free, and they know what they're talking about, unlike the plonkers on this forum.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't worry, just call the number in the morning. It sounds like you might have put the wrong rubbish out on the wrong day and they are just letting you know that you did this.

Don't panic!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why you would need to tell you parents about anything? It's your house, and the letter is addressed to you?

It's irresponsible for me to give you any advice. I haven't seen the letter. If you are worried about it you should pop in to the CAB and ask them to explain it to you.

It's free, and they know what they're talking about, unlike the plonkers on this forum.

It's not my house I am a student I just rent it. I have flatmates but the letter was just addressed to me. Do you think this means they found a letter to me in the rubbish?:(

I feel like my Dad would now what to do but he might get cross. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't worry, just call the number in the morning. It sounds like you might have put the wrong rubbish out on the wrong day and they are just letting you know that you did this.

Don't panic!

Thank you I hope you are right. I am just naturally very nervous and as soon as I read the letter the worst possible scenarios started going through my head.

I will definitely ring the number in the morning, would have done anyway. I just made this thread to try and reassure myself but it didn't really work.:(
  • Options
    erasmus01erasmus01 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    It's not my house I am a student I just rent it. I have flatmates but the letter was just addressed to me. Do you think this means they found a letter to me in the rubbish?:(

If your dad would get cross over something so petty then you've got a bigger problem than the local council.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sounds like your flatmates are having a jolly jape at your expense
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edit....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

No one can answer the question in your first paragraph as we have no real idea of exactly what you did, and neither it seems, do you.

The letter should have a number on it that you can use to contact them. Ring them up and ask what it is about before panicking.

Why would your dad get cross?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No one can answer the question in your first paragraph as we have no real idea of exactly what you did, and neither it seems, do you.

The letter should have a number on it that you can use to contact them. Ring them up and ask what it is about before panicking.

Why would your dad get cross?.

I don't understand what an enforcement notice even is, I googled it but all that came up was stuff about planning permission.

Because I'm going to end up with a criminal record and in court over a bin!!:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm beginning to think the OP is on a wind-up here. There's no way an adult who managed to get into University is this naive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I don't understand what an enforcement notice even is, I googled it but all that came up was stuff about planning permission.

Because I'm going to end up with a criminal record and in court over a bin!!:cry:

It's just legalese.

Basically you have broken a rule, could be a bylaw, a clause in your tenancy agreement if you rent etc. etc. and this letter is just them saying they intend to make sure the rules are enforced.
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member

Read the post above. Which is precisely why you should ignore the two posts below:
    Phone 'em up and ask for proof that you've committed this most heinous of crimes. When they can't offer any, tell 'em where they can stick their bloody notice.

Contact Citizens Advice and get the correct advice.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you got a drum out in sticks you can get to? If so I'd quit the smoke for a few weeks and lie low until the heat is off. You could be looking at a ten stretch for something like this, and it ain't no easy bird either - chokey don't take kindly to refuse abusers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm beginning to think the OP is on a wind-up here. There's no way an adult who managed to get into University is this naive.

Okay then, can you tell me exactly what an enforcement notice means?

Cheers:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i just rang them up and the lady said it was just a warning, apparently black bin bags only go out every other week. Whoops.