Options

2nd national DAB multiplex finally re advertised

Comments

• Options
    AliAsteriskAliAsterisk Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    I thought most DAb radios had Dab+ these days. i have a Nevada radio and that can cope with DAB+ so it says in the specs.

Having another Dab Mux is just plain stupid to be honest, I don't listen to any music station on DAB.

Most new DAB radios available, in particular in car ones have DAB+. I think Halfords now sell DAB+ as standard? But as far as I know the take up of radios that are DAB+ compatible isn't as widespread as it would be in some other countries.

And I wouldn't say having another mux on DAB is stupid. It really depends on where you live in the UK, some people get a vast choice of stations both national and local. Others are stuck with just the two national muxes and maybe one other. So it makes sense to have another national mux, especially if it can increase coverage of existing services :)
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I thought most DAb radios had Dab+ these days. i have a Nevada radio and that can cope with DAB+ so it says in the specs.

Having another Dab Mux is just plain stupid to be honest, I don't listen to any music station on DAB.
    DAB and DAB+ stations can be mixed in the same mux so D2 can have a few DAB+ stations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/07/arqiva-bauer-and-utv-team-up-for-dab-bid/
    As expected Arqiva, Bauer and UTV will bid?
    Bauer have several stations that could go on the mux, for UTV perhaps a return for Talkradio as in the last bid? Maybe Talksport 2 or Juice in DAB+?
    I expect other stations will join, like Jazz FM, UCB Inspiration? Travel radio? http://www.travelradio.org.uk hopefully Chill, Arrow and Fun Kids?
    Perhaps the return of Virgin radio? Last bid they had Virgin Viva.
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/07/arqiva-bauer-and-utv-team-up-for-dab-bid/
    As expected Arqiva, Bauer and UTV will bid?
    Bauer have several stations that could go on the mux, for UTV perhaps a return for Talkradio as in the last bid? Maybe Talksport 2 or Juice in DAB+?
    I expect other stations will join, like Jazz FM, UCB Inspiration? Travel radio? http://www.travelradio.org.uk hopefully Chill, Arrow and Fun Kids?
    Perhaps the return of Virgin radio? Last bid they had Virgin Viva.

I think a joint bid probably is a bit surprising. Do they have to offer space on it on a non-discriminatory basis? If not, could be a problem for Global, although I guess they're more focused on national brands delivered locally for now.

Bauer have plenty of stations not currently on national DAB - Magic 105.4 and Kisstory would be strong contenders I'd say. UTV, I'm not sure - with LBC on D1, a relaunch of TalkRadio is probably not viable.

Virgin Viva was proposed when Virgin Radio was owner by SMG (I think?). Heat probably is a fairly close equivalent that actually exists.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a joint bid probably is a bit surprising. Do they have to offer space on it on a non-discriminatory basis? If not, could be a problem for Global, although I guess they're more focused on national brands delivered locally for now.

Bauer have plenty of stations not currently on national DAB - Magic 105.4 and Kisstory would be strong contenders I'd say. UTV, I'm not sure - with LBC on D1, a relaunch of TalkRadio is probably not viable.

Remember the first national DAB multiplex was awarded to GWR (now Global) and NTL Broadcast (now Arqiva) so not too unexpected. Presumably such a launch makes more sense for Arqiva as it guarantees customers from day 1 and Bauer UTV already have a partnership on some DAB multiplexes.

Some of the Absolute spin offs would also be prime candidates - especially as DAB+ trials (e.g. Abs Radio 60s, Abs Radio 70s, Abs Radio 00s).
  • Options
    DigMorrisDigMorris Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    I do hope we get to see bids from other parties too. The likes of Norkring, Media Broadcast or VDL for instance. Seeing some different perspectives on the UK's broadcast opportunities would be interesting.
  • Options
    jackpotjackpotjackpotjackpot Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    For stations such as Chill and Arrow to become potentially national stations would be absolutely brilliant.
  • Options
    Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    DigMorris wrote: »
    I do hope we get to see bids from other parties too. The likes of Norkring, Media Broadcast or VDL for instance. Seeing some different perspectives on the UK's broadcast opportunities would be interesting.
    I hope so too.

It would be a pity if the introduction of DAB+ was used as an excuse by the big outfits to fill the mux with their existing stations at slightly better quality, and therefore freeze out the competition.

More choice for the listener rather than impressing a few audiophiles would be preferable.
  • Options
    Jim_AFCBJim_AFCB Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    A new national MUX?

Brilliant - more stations at low bit-rate mono. Oh joy.

Cos they sure won't use the space to put stations that I used to listen to, but don't any longer as they sound terrible in the car (Absolute 80s, Planet Rock), back to a reasonable bit-rate stereo stream.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim_AFCB wrote: »
    A new national MUX?

Brilliant - more stations at low bit-rate mono. Oh joy.

Cos they sure won't use the space to put stations that I used to listen to, but don't any longer as they sound terrible in the car (Absolute 80s, Planet Rock), back to a reasonable bit-rate stereo stream.
    That can be done by moving some stations to D2 to make space on D1, but the trade off is the stations that will be moved will only have 70% coverage rather than over 90%? But they will save money so perhaps stations like BFBS and Teamrock (that caused Absolute 80s and Planet Rock to go mono) might move to allow other stations to go back to stereo?
  • Options
    radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Les Wires wrote: »
    I hope so too.

It would be a pity if the introduction of DAB+ was used as an excuse by the big outfits to fill the mux with their existing stations at slightly better quality, and therefore freeze out the competition.

More choice for the listener rather than impressing a few audiophiles would be preferable.

Never going to happen. Eventually one station will take over the rest, like ITV, and every city, region will be full of Heart stations with local breakfast by then a thing of the past.
  • Options
    radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jim_AFCB wrote: »
    A new national MUX?

Brilliant - more stations at low bit-rate mono. Oh joy..

Well we could have them on hissy FM (which never works in stereo outside of major cities) or the great sound of AM radio, which by 6 in the evening drifts as much as Nick Clegg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we could have them on hissy FM (which never works in stereo outside of major cities) or the great sound of AM radio, which by 6 in the evening drifts as much as Nick Clegg.
    Hmm, I get better FM reception out in a small northern city and it's rural hinterland and rural south oxfordshire than I ever have in Nottingham! IME it's the medium sized cities which suffer the most - near enough to a big population centre it's already covered (e.g. the transmitter for Birmingham trying to cover Nottingham too) but too far to get a decent signal. The towns and cities further away (Oxford, Preston) from these population centres get there own transmitters and it's all good. DAB is balancing it out to be more level in coverage.
  • Options
    Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    Never going to happen. Eventually one station will take over the rest, like ITV, and every city, region will be full of Heart stations with local breakfast by then a thing of the past.

Local breakfast a thing of the past
    Please don't raise my hopes too much ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie wrote: »
    This change in the closing date for applications, from 30 October 2014, is to allow a prospective licence applicant sufficient time to obtain information from Arqiva, which owns many DAB transmitter sites.
    This is in line with Ofcom’s previous statement that stated that we would consider postponing the closing date to allow sufficient time for an applicant to obtain a Network Access-only reference offer from Arqiva.
    A Network Access-only reference offer will provide a price specifically for access to structural components provided by Arqiva – such as sites, structures, buildings, power and antenna systems.
    Indicates perhaps other transmission providers, such as French VDL, may be interested in bidding?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Indicates perhaps other transmission providers, such as French VDL, may be interested in bidding?

Or Norkring, Media Broadcast or Broadcast Partners and probably a few others. It would be interesting to see what more competition would bring.
  • Options
    OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or Norkring, Media Broadcast or Broadcast Partners and probably a few others. It would be interesting to see what more competition would bring.

Perhaps I am being planning and business ignorant, but having been advertised for some time, why does a potential bidder require a further 3 months? It is quite a long time on top of the existing timescale?

Yet more delays! :-(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangy wrote: »
    Perhaps I am being planning and business ignorant, but having been advertised for some time, why does a potential bidder require a further 3 months? It is quite a long time on top of the existing timescale?

Yet more delays! :-(
    is to allow a prospective licence applicant sufficient time to obtain information from Arqiva, which owns many DAB transmitter sites.
    This is in line with Ofcom’s previous statement that stated that we would consider postponing the closing date to allow sufficient time for an applicant to obtain a Network Access-only reference offer from Arqiva.

In other-words the original advertisement was based on either Arqiva being the only applicant wishing to use Arqiva's infrastructure. As others (e.g. Bauer & UTV) who wish to use the Arqiva sites are interested in bidding they want to know what Arqiva will charge for access to the existing transmitter masts and associated gubbins.

A bit like the FM pre-advertisment where there is no point doing a full advert process if only the incumbent applies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder if this is a reliable indication that there is indeed a second infrastructure provider that has shown interest to compete with Arqiva.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or the two other bidders for the BBC radio transmitter contract.
  • Options
    Spencer_PryorSpencer_Pryor Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Any thoughts on who the other consortium is? I haven't heard a thing and I normally have my ear quite close to the ground on matters DAB :-)

I wonder if this new consortium are looking at using the low cost open source software/transmitters that OFCOM were trialling in Brighton. That would cut their cap ex costs by about 80% - would just need Arqiva for masts and rack space then....
  • Options
    VectorsumVectorsum Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...I wonder if this new consortium are looking at using the low cost open source software/transmitters that OFCOM were trialling in Brighton. That would cut their cap ex costs by about 80% - would just need Arqiva for masts and rack space then....
    With the disclaimer that I've only glanced at the open source stuff I would imagine that, being designed for a single-site multiplex, it doesn't have syncronisation baked in. This would be essential for an SFN.

Add in the costs of whatever bit of kit is going to take the multiplex off satellite (or whatever link technology) and assemble it for Band III transmission and you're back at the few thousand a decent commercial DAB/+ TX would cost.

Besides which, as anyone will tell you who has ever priced up a community radio Band II install on their infrastructure, go anywhere near Arqiva and the cost of the kit is the least of your financial worries...
  • Options
    Spencer_PryorSpencer_Pryor Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Vectorsum wrote: »
    With the disclaimer that I've only glanced at the open source stuff I would imagine that, being designed for a single-site multiplex, it doesn't have syncronisation baked in. This would be essential for an SFN.

Add in the costs of whatever bit of kit is going to take the multiplex off satellite (or whatever link technology) and assemble it for Band III transmission and you're back at the few thousand a decent commercial DAB/+ TX would cost.

Besides which, as anyone will tell you who has ever priced up a community radio Band II install on their infrastructure, go anywhere near Arqiva and the cost of the kit is the least of your financial worries...

Mmm good point about synchronisation..

Arqiva and their dreaded contribution circuit charges ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The request talks of 10 stations so if a mixture of DAB and DAB+ will allow all to go stereo and allow some D1 stations to move and release space on d1 to allow existing mono stations to become stereo? But depends if stations want to pay for the extra bandwidth?