Neighbours smoke

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
Forum Member
Morning all,sorry if this posts a bit long winded but here goes,new neighbour has just moved in,shes lovely and weve had a few brief chats however she's a chain smoker and is constantly sat on her back doorstep smoking which then comes straight into my house(terraced),the living room absolutely stinks as does my young sons room upstairs.Im now having to constantly keep the windows closed and in this weather its a pain and don't see why I should.I know its her own property but why should we as non smokers have to breathe in that shite.She smokes outside so obviously doesn't want her house to smell but its okay for mine.I plan on having a word but I have a very short fuse and am getting wound up typing this.I don't want to fall out with her but the smell is vile,is it just a case of put up and shut up?>:(

Comments

• Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing you can do short of talking to her about it.
  • cpikey316_cpikey316_ Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She probably doesn't even notice the smell, and wouldn't notice it in your house.

Either learn to ignore it, or talk to her is the best thing you can do.

Problem with anything more official, you're unlikely to be met with any success and neighbour complaints have to be declared when you sell your home now.
  • imogenkateimogenkate Posts: 2,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would have a word.i am a smoker and smoke outside.i would be horrified if i thought it was upsetting my neighbours.luckily they are smokers too and smoke outside.

if someone were to approach me about smoking i would definately take it on board and change where i smoked.no one wants their house smelling of smoke.yuck.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    if you face a fan on the ledge out of the offending window when it`s open that should help short term. if you think you might get narky face to face write a polite note instead.
  • MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't risk neighbour problems by saying anything, especially as you get on well with her, these things can escalate so fast when your house is attached to hers.

I live in a detached and the neighbours all smoke outside and still I smell it when in doors. I don't eat in my garden due to it. I'm afraid that if we don't want to be bothered by neighbours in any way, we have to get rich and live with acres surrounding us.

I do find it strange though that smokers are not willing to contaminate their house but are quite happy to do so to their body.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you face a fan on the ledge out of the offending window when it`s open that should help short term. if you think you might get narky face to face write a polite note instead.

I learnt a long while ago that polite notes, however polite and well intended they are, merely succeed in annoying people. I don't think the OP has any option but to talk to the woman concerned. No need to be confrontational about it - and if she starts to get arsey, walk away and consider your next move. Don't get drawn into an argument or slanging match.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    I'd just talk to her. You can't get annoyed at her for something she doesn't know is happening. If, after having spoken to her she keeps it up, then yes - go nuts.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from having a polite word I don't think you can do anything about her smoking in her own garden
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is always something about close neighbours to annoy. As a veggie, I heave at meat burning on a BbQ, but I don't complain. My neighbours have to put up with my garlic roasting no doubt. Smoking isn't illegal and she's on her own property.

I and four other households were forced after a year of torment to take a neighbour to Court. He was bound over to keep the peace. I used to dread turning the corner to my Lane after working hard all day, wondering what he'd been up to.
    From glass put in neighbour's kids sandpit, to a Foxes head on the gate post.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »
    There is always something about close neighbours to annoy. As a veggie, I heave at meat burning on a BbQ, but I don't complain. My neighbours have to put up with my garlic roasting no doubt. Smoking isn't illegal and she's on her own property.

I and four other households were forced after a year of torment to take a neighbour to Court. He was bound over to keep the peace. I used to dread turning the corner to my Lane after working hard all day, wondering what he'd been up to.

Foxes head on a post! Nice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member

:o:o:o that's awful but im not just complaining for the fun of it.Neighbours on the other side have loads of screaming kids and blaring music all day long and ive never complained but I find smoke so offensive because its harmful.If it wasn't it wouldn't bother me so much.Im a considerate neighbour (I like to think) and even when my dog has a wee first thing in the morning im out immediately cleaning it as I know it smells awful and wouldn't want the smell wafting over the fence.Oh well it looks like i'll be having a chat with her and see her reaction.I must remain calm:D.Thanks everyone x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o:o:o that's awful but im not just complaining for the fun of it.Neighbours on the other side have loads of screaming kids and blaring music all day long and ive never complained but I find smoke so offensive because its harmful.If it wasn't it wouldn't bother me so much.Im a considerate neighbour (I like to think) and even when my dog has a wee first thing in the morning im out immediately cleaning it as I know it smells awful and wouldn't want the smell wafting over the fence.Oh well it looks like i'll be having a chat with her and see her reaction.I must remain calm:D.Thanks everyone x
    It's not harmful in the open air, it's harmful to her of course. I agree the smell is horrible, as I said I get it too. At least mine either side haven't got the screaming kids and I'd hate loud music.
    Perhaps say it in a jokey way but sends the message, Such as, "I'm being gassed with the smell of your smoke, can you blow it the other way please"?
    Good luck with it and do please tell us how it goes.
    Forum Member
    It's not harmful in the open air

Yes it is. If you can smell it, then the particles are getting into your system. There's no other way you could smell it.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/2289.aspx?categoryid=53&
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good luck with this. Me and my neighbour don't really get on and she complained about my OH smoking out front and it going up to her room, when her OH is out the back doing the same and its going in my room.
    We really don't get on now and she goes out of her way to be an idiot. Like putting all her rubbish on top my recycling when the recycling get collected first, leaving the door open to the building at all times of night knowing I'm going to come and shut it. Wouldn't care if I didn't have 4 bloody flights of stairs to walk. She also shouts stuff behind doors when I enter the building. It is amusing sometimes but makes me want to go mad at other times. I hope you neighbour wont turn out like mine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is. If you can smell it, then the particles are getting into your system. There's no other way you could smell it.

that doesn't matter at all as its not illegal.
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would just have a polite word with her and hopefully she'll be understanding. I'd be mortified if my smoke was going into my neighbour's house and if they told me this I would stand at the end of the garden to smoke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachael. wrote: »
    I would just have a polite word with her and hopefully she'll be understanding. I'd be mortified if my smoke was going into my neighbour's house and if they told me this I would stand at the end of the garden to smoke.

I do it out the front then if some looks out because of the smell, I pretend its someone walking by :blush: luckily I only have the odd crafty one now and then
    Forum Member
    that doesn't matter at all as its not illegal.

1. I didn't say it was illegal.
    2. It does matter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. I didn't say it was illegal.
    2. It does matter.

lol is the response you will get if you start moaning at people smoking outside :confused:

If I wanted a cigarette outside that is my problem so it shouldn't matter to you one bit.
    Forum Member
    lol is the response you will get if you start moaning at people smoking outside :confused:

If I wanted a cigarette outside that is my problem so it shouldn't matter to you one bit.

Where have I moaned about people smoking outside? That's twice now you have directly quoted me to argue with something that I have not said. Are you reading someone else's posts or something?

Mutter: "It's not harmful in open air."
    Me: "Yes it is. [Link to back that up]."
    blue_cheese: starts talking about law.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where have I moaned about people smoking outside? That's twice now you have directly quoted me to argue with something that I have not said. Are you reading someone else's posts or something?

Mutter: "It's not harmful in open air."
    Me: "Yes it is. [Link to back that up]."
    blue_cheese: starts talking about law.

No I was just pointing out that it doesn't matter if its harmful outside because people are not going to stop as its not illegal. Your the one who started getting narky with you point 1 and point 2!!!! So your jumping well ahead of your self from me pointing something out to wanting an argument :confused:

Am I not allowed to quote people to discuss things, I'm sorry I thought forums are there to discuss things. As soon as people get quoted on something they don't like its automatically an argument not a discussion. If you didn't like me quoting you, why respond :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your link
    makes no mention of smoking outside but in confined spaces. If it was so dangerous, it would be banned not only in Pubs, but the Pub garden as well. Remember the ban was brought in to protect the health of workers.

Taking your rationale, when I smell smoke from across the road, and believe me, I can, should I go across and ask the smoker not to as my health is being harmed?
    Forum Member
    No I was just pointing out that it doesn't matter if its harmful outside because people are not going to stop as its not illegal. Your the one who started getting narky with you point 1 and point 2!!!! So your jumping well ahead of your self from me pointing something out to wanting an argument :confused:

Am I not allowed to quote people to discuss things, I'm sorry I thought forums are there to discuss things. As soon as people get quoted on something they don't like its automatically an argument not a discussion. If you didn't like me quoting you, why respond :confused:

You can quote me if you like, just don't put words in my mouth.
    Your link
    makes no mention of smoking outside but in confined spaces. If it was so dangerous, it would be banned not only in Pubs, but the Pub garden as well. Remember the ban was brought in to protect the health of workers.

Taking your rationale, when I smell smoke from across the road, and believe me, I can, should I go across and ask the smoker not to as my health is being harmed?

If you feel strongly enough about it, then go tell them. Not sure how you would get on with that, a punch in the nose may be more harmful than the smoke ever was. It doesn't matter where the smoke is though. The biological function of smell works by particles of a substance reaching your nose. If these particles are harmful and you can smell it, then you are breathing in harmful particles.
  • KalmiaKalmia Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    Just speak to her about it. She probably doesn't even realise that it's going into your house. If she doesn't know that it's a problem, why would she stop doing it? You have to tell her, just keep it polite and friendly. It's an easily solved problem after all, she just has to move further down the garden/further away from the houses.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member
    Morning all,sorry if this posts a bit long winded but here goes,new neighbour has just moved in,shes lovely and weve had a few brief chats however she's a chain smoker and is constantly sat on her back doorstep smoking which then comes straight into my house(terraced),the living room absolutely stinks as does my young sons room upstairs.Im now having to constantly keep the windows closed and in this weather its a pain and don't see why I should.I know its her own property but why should we as non smokers have to breathe in that shite.She smokes outside so obviously doesn't want her house to smell but its okay for mine.I plan on having a word but I have a very short fuse and am getting wound up typing this.I don't want to fall out with her but the smell is vile,is it just a case of put up and shut up?>:(

Just ask her if it would be possible in fine weather if she could smoke away from the doorway but you don't expect her to stand out in the rain, as a compromise. Light candles in your living room and use air freshners.