Options

Cameron: lose weight or lose £100 a week benefits

Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Cameron: lose weight or lose £100 a week benefits
The full cost to the economy of obesity, drug addicts and alcoholics will be assessed for the first time, David Cameron is to announce.

Overweight people could have benefits worth around £100 a week reduced or ended altogether if they refuse to lose weight, the Prime Minister will announce on Wednesday.

Is it right or wrong to reduce benefits to those lifestyles stop them working 161 votes

Right
50% 82 votes
Wrong
49% 79 votes

Comments

• Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why doesn't the prime minister pick on someone his own size?
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I didn't think Cameron was that Chubby, but I suppose he doesn't need the benefits anyway.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    strange how the article says the policy is aimed at 90,000 claimants who have alcohol or drug related conditions and only 1,800 people with weight related conditions but you choose to focus on that in your OP

i guess you wont get the sort of reaction you wanted otherwise ...
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he is going to do that i hope he will also be investing in resources to help these people like mental health services which are under resourced and counselling after all he has waved the big stick,lets see if the help follows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    strange how the article says the policy is aimed at 90,000 claimants who have alcohol or drug related conditions and only 1,800 people with weight related conditions but you choose to focus on that in your OP

i guess you wont get the sort of reaction you wanted otherwise ...

The title of this thread was cut & pasted from the headline on the front page of the telegraph online and the quote is the first two paragraphs of the actual article.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    The title of this thread was cut & pasted from the headline on the front page of the telegraph online and the quote is the first two paragraphs of the actual article.

so you admit you fell for clickbait instead of reading the whole article ?
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed when the article is read we see this --
    There are around 90,000 people who claim sickness benefits whose illness is primarily due to their drug or alcohol addiction.

It means that 25 per cent of alcoholics, and an estimated 80 per cent of heroin and crack users, claim benefits, according to figures released by Downing Street.

Another 1,800 people are entitled to sickness benefits as a result of conditions primarily caused by obesity. A quarter of adults and 15 per cent of children are thought to be obese.

Never trust newspaper headlines. In fact when one reads the article the 1800 obese people are a spit in the ocean when compared to the 90,000 with drink and drug addiction.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll be next you know.

I never thought they would go so far. Chilling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's a little link towards the top of the page... Community Guidelines. There you'll find the following....

Community Guidelines - The Rules
    2.0 - Copyright
    Do not reproduce complete texts/images to which you do not own the copyright. When linking to articles elsewhere on the Internet, you can quote the first few lines and then provide a link to the content in full. If quoting other media, be sure to cite your source.

I read the whole article but only posted the headline and the start of the Telegraph online article as advised in Digital Spy's guidelines.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Indeed when the article is read we see this --

Never trust newspaper headlines. In fact when one reads the article the 1800 obese people are a spit in the ocean when compared to the 90,000 with drink and drug addiction.

... and it's a review into whether people should lose benefits IF they refuse treatment to deal with the problems they have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    You'll be next you know.

I never thought they would go so far. Chilling.

No, you just didn't read the article fully.

Try the Guardian

A full-scale review is to be launched into whether tens of thousands of obese people and those with drug and alcohol problems should be deprived of benefits unless they accept treatment.

A consultation paper launched on Wednesday for a review to be completed before the end of the year by Dame Carol Black admits strong ethical issues are at stake. But it also questions whether such people should continue to receive benefits if they refuse government-provided treatment.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jul/29/benefits-drugs-alcohol-obesity-refusing-treatment-review

Still "chilling"?
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    If Cameron thinks he can get people to stop being drug addicts or alcoholics by reducing their money, he is very wrong. You're just going to find more homeless people.

How about treating the cause instead of punishing them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Cameron thinks he can get people to stop being drug addicts or alcoholics by reducing their money, he is very wrong. You're just going to find more homeless people.

How about treating the cause instead of punishing them?

Um - this is to encourage them to go for treatment. Is nobody reading the story? :confused:

A full-scale review is to be launched into whether tens of thousands of obese people and those with drug and alcohol problems should be deprived of benefits unless they accept treatment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    Um - this is to encourage them to go for treatment. Is nobody reading the story? :confused:
    [/I]

This thread is a poll; Is it right or wrong to reduce benefits to those lifestyles stop them working.
  • Options
    Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    May 2014 IB/ESA Primary Medical Condition
    Obesity 1,780
    Alcohol Misuse 56,000
    Drug Misuse 33,650
    Medical condition is based on evidence provided at the start of the claim and may not represent a claimant’s most recent medical condition. Where someone has more than one diagnosis or disabling condition only the predominant one is used.

Who makes the decision as to if a psychological treatment is not working or the claimant is not engaging with the treatment. When does it amount to you will get better or we will stop your benefits rather than we will offer you help and you must accept.

Will they be expanding the idea of "denied benefits if they refuse medical treatment" to all medical conditions in the future? And will it apply to all medical treatment regardless of any risk or detrimental effect that medical treatment may entail for example surgery carries risks, drugs have side effects, coercion to undergo psychological therapies may carry the risk of causing some with mental health problems to become more unwell.

ESA already assess based on with treatment what could the claimant be imagined able to do. That is if they received a drug or a psychological therapy, etc. Even when those treatments have not been prescribed and are not being undertaken.

ESA already assess based on the use of medical aids even when the claimant does not have those aids and using those aids would be against medical advice, for example someone with mobility problems can be imagined to use a wheel chair despite not having a wheel chair and doing so being against medical advice.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    This thread is a poll; Is it right or wrong to reduce benefits to those lifestyles stop them working.

Perhaps you should have used the wording "Is it right or wrong to reduce benefits to those who refuse treatment to address their lifestyles if they prevent them from working".

If a drug addict having undergone treatment is still unable to kick the habit and get work then I imagine many people would not wish to see benefits withdrawn from that person and them end up in dire straits. However if they refuse treatment I imagine many people will feel that is wrong and they should be trying to kick the habit so they may be able to get work.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The problem with that idea, with this government, is that there'll be little "encouragement" about it. If it's introduced, and i sincerely hope it isn't, it'll basically be a mandatory requirement that's punishable by the stripping of benefits.

People will be forced to seek treatment, but I imagine the places offering such treatment will be expected to cope with the upsurge in patients with no extra funding, or even reduced funding.

I suspect what will also happen is that there'll be an "unofficial" timetable drawn up for advisors to follow that will dictate how much progress the aforementioned addict will be expected to make and there'll be sanctions involved if this timetable isn't met.

It'll be similar to the official party line that there are no targets for sanctions where most people actually on the floor at the DWP will tell you that there are.
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member

Yes, I get the story. What makes you think that people who choose to be drug addicts and alcoholics and don't already seek treatment will be more motivated to seek treatment? I think you have little idea of how things like this work (I'm speaking as an ex-alcoholic). Most people would take the financial hit, even if it means them becoming homeless, rather than seek treatment because they don't feel that they need treatment, and for most of them the drugs or alcohol is more valuable to them.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you just didn't read the article fully.

Try the Guardian

A consultation paper launched on Wednesday for a review to be completed before the end of the year by Dame Carol Black admits strong ethical issues are at stake. But it also questions whether such people should continue to receive benefits if they refuse government-provided treatment.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jul/29/benefits-drugs-alcohol-obesity-refusing-treatment-review

Still "chilling"?

I think what people doubt is whether the "treatment" is sufficient in quantity/quality and whether it can be delivered in a timely fashion and be of sufficient duration and follow up to actually work.

Underlying a lot if not most "addictive" behaviours are actually deep rooted psychological and psychiatric and social issues which are expensive to treat and in short supply.

There are plenty of people who are not overweight or drug addicts and who are willing to accept treatment/indeed are desperate for mental health help who wait months and months for referral and treatment, which is often short term and reliant on drugs as sticking plaster/mask for addressing the issues and deficient in term of follow up/booster/top up treatment.

If we are able to offer a Rolls Royce service now we would be offering it to the people who ARE willing to accept it/succeeding with them and have room to spare for the take up of those being forced/encouraged there by withdrawal of benefit.

As it is I think most of us know what is on offer is an old model Ford Ka with 200K miles on the clock, no back seat and with bald tyres.

And even if there was a guarantee of the Rolls Royce tomorrow I'm pretty sure those waiting the queue would be thrilled to see the government shoving people to the front of the queue who don't even want to get in the car.

;-);-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Perhaps you should have used the wording "Is it right or wrong to reduce benefits to those who refuse treatment to address their lifestyles if they prevent them from working".

I did try for a longer question but you are limited to the number of characters in the question
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    David Cameron stealing policy ideas from Karl Pilkington: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoUw6CrhCA0#t=8m44s
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    Nanny State
  • Options
    Superstar99Superstar99 Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wish this govt would stop bullying vulnerable people all the time, enough is enough of this constant barrage of abuse against anyone claiming help.

The reality is, life has become too stressful for a big chunk of people in society. What with a shortage of jobs and hours to go around, the ever increasing cost of living, the ongoing problems with too many people living in this country with immigrants still coming in by the 1000's every week.

There is simply not enough jobs to around and many who end up in a position where they have no fight or hope left are, surprise surprise, going to turn to drink, drugs or develop an eating disorder whether its obesity or anorexia. Trying to get them help is one thing but dressing it up as help by removing benefits is only going to make these people's lives more hell, let alone the damage it causes their family and children.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think what people doubt is whether the "treatment" is sufficient in quantity/quality and whether it can be delivered in a timely fashion and be of sufficient duration and follow up to actually work.

Underlying a lot if not most "addictive" behaviours are actually deep rooted psychological and psychiatric and social issues which are expensive to treat and in short supply.

Don't disagree but there appears to be no suggestion benefits will be reduced if whatever treatment that is available and is undertaken fails as it inevitably will for many.
  • Options
    Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    2 words ERIC PICKLES,cameron should stop his wages until he loses weight