Options

Acts of kindess you've received from strangers?

Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm really tired of all the doom and gloom so let's try and have an uplifting thread? No negativity in here, please, there are plently of other threads for that if you want.
I want you to share stories of acts of kindess you have received from strangers.

I've got a couple of nice ones:

I was walking along a street minding my own business when a lady approached me from her garden and asked if I wanted a bunch of flowers she had. Someone had given them to her but she was going away and they'd just be left to die if she kept them. I took them and she was glad she'd been able to pass them on to someone who'd appreciate it. :)

Another time, I was lost in Paris very, very late on a Sunday night trying to get from the Metro station to my hotel. I was exhausted and quite tearful because it had been a long and stressful weekend. I asked these young guys for directions, then decided I should get a cab. They walked me to the street and spent about five minutes trying to hail a cab for me. They didn't leave until they'd made sure I was in safe hands with the driver. :)

Your stories, now, please. :)

Comments

• Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lovely story Imogen

Can it be that it hasn't got to be a total stranger.

Somebody helped me a month or so ago, they supported me when I was very down and made me laugh and smile.:)

I can't go into the details but it was appreciated and will not be forgotten
  • Options
    GoodMikeyGoodMikey Posts: 2,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard a story about two brothers living in America one was 7 and the other 12, they lived by Mississippi and had a lot of swamp in the area they lived in.

So the two brothers go for a walk around the area and get lost.

Their family is wondering were they are, they have been gone for 4 hours, a search party is quickly called.

They started searching all over the area were the boys could of gone, then a man spotted a hand sticking out of some marshy swamp area.

They quickly rush in and the man manages to pull out the boy ( the 7 year old one), but his unconscious.

They do their best to revive him and luckily he gains conciousness.

'Where is your brother they ask?'

'I was standing on his shoulders, he told me to'

how about that for an act of kindness?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bunked a train years ago and got a fine at Victoria:o by time I paid fine I was £2 short for ticket back home, a good Samaritan overheard the convo with the ticket guy and gave me the extra £2, I couldn't thank him enough.
  • Options
    Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    Can it be that it hasn't got to be a total stranger.

Sure, why not! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    humphryb wrote: »
    Bunked a train years ago and got a fine at Victoria:o by time I paid fine I was £2 short for ticket back home, a good Samaritan overheard the convo with the ticket guy and gave me the extra £2, I couldn't thank him enough.

You bad Humph :)

But a nice ending
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imogen M wrote: »
    Sure, why not! :)

I posted anyway but thank you ;)
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrote to rock band Bitter Springs fan club to enquire how I could get hold of their previous incarnation, Last Party's back catalogue.

Long since deleted, but the lead singer Simon Rivers personally went up in his loft, got spare copies of all their old vinyl albums and EP's and posted them to me for nowt. Whaddaguy!!
  • Options
    Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On two occasions a few years ago two complete strangers (both seperate occasions) got me out of what could have been a rather expensive jaunt,

The first occasion i was on the bus returning no less than 8 CD's to the library, and when i got off the bus i totally forgot them, and when i realised i went back to the depot before the bus pulled out again and they had (not surprisingly) gone.

I carried on to the library and explained and offered to pay for them so much a week starting from the following week...a few days later i got a phone call from the library telling me they had all been returned.

Secondly, I left a leather card holder on top of a public telephone which had two bank cards/ library cards and other important cards... i was in a dilema with cancelling everything and awaiting for new bank cards etc...then a week later it had arrived through the post!

No idea where they got my address from (apart from maybe someone handing it into a bank where the card would have my info on)

Almost forgotten the last really good samaritan which was an RAC mechanic. (back in 2004)

I brought this car off EBAY from a seller in Darlington (North Yorkshire) which was around 150 miles from where i am and as i drove it back the temperature gauge went into the red - the car head gaskett had blown and i was miles from anywhere with about £10 on me, i had no other means of transport or no idea where i was and it was a blistering hot day and i was stuck in the middle of nowhere with a car that i was conned out of buying. The RAC mechanic offered to take me to the nearest railway station which was around 20+ miles away....what great service of which I didn't pay for as i only had road side assistance cover.

There are a few decent people still around. :)
  • Options
    ChunchineChunchine Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    On two occasions a few years ago two complete strangers (both seperate occasions) got me out of what could have been a rather expensive jaunt,

The first occasion i was on the bus returning no less than 8 CD's to the library, and when i got off the bus i totally forgot them, and when i realised i went back to the depot before the bus pulled out again and they had (not surprisingly) gone.

I carried on to the library and explained and offered to pay for them so much a week starting from the following week...a few days later i got a phone call from the library telling me they had all been returned.

Secondly, I left a leather card holder on top of a public telephone which had two bank cards/ library cards and other important cards... i was in a dilema with cancelling everything and awaiting for new bank cards etc...then a week later it had arrived through the post!

No idea where they got my address from (apart from maybe someone handing it into a bank where the card would have my info on)

There are a few decent people still around. :)

A similar thing happened to me with my library books, I left my bags on the tube and a very lovely old lady phoned me and arranged to meet and return my things, she also took my books (in a seperate plastic bag) back to the library as they were due in that day and that is where I was actually on the tube for... :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was watching a band a few years ago and a boy came over to me and said "My friend thinks you're really beautiful" and then placed his friends number in my hand. I think I actually cried a bit after this because I got so overwhelmed, is that pathetic? I called the friend though and he never ever answered. :( So that makes me think perhaps it was just a joke, but he seemed SO sincere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I had a craving for only green fruit gums during my pregnancy. Hubby got a tad fed up with all the packs I bought just for one colour so wrote to rowntrees enclosing a cheque. A week or so later a huge box of green fruit gums arrived with a lovely letter and the cheque. :D
  • Options
    LemonPledgeLemonPledge Posts: 6,277
    Forum Member
    Somebody gave me £20 once when I was in a que for Asda, it was near Eid (our christmas)and the lady behind me came up and gave me £20 and when I was like "NO! I cant take it" she said she had a good job. That was very nice :) Bless Her.lol.

Somebody proposed to my sister on the street :eek:that was weird but sweet
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bellsouth wrote: »
    I had a craving for only green fruit gums during my pregnancy. Hubby got a tad fed up with all the packs I bought just for one colour so wrote to rowntrees enclosing a cheque. A week or so later a huge box of green fruit gums arrived with a lovely letter and the cheque. :D

Corporate munificence, who would have thought it? That's lovely, that is. :)

Did you check the best before date though? :p;)
  • Options
    LemonPledgeLemonPledge Posts: 6,277
    Forum Member
    The nicest thing I've done is somebody left a bag in a supermarket and it had EVERYTHING in it (Passport, important papers, Money and everything) so I sent her her bag back later she sent me £10 and a little card thanking me. God knows how she got my address I didnt ever put it in the purse with a sign taht said "Send Money!!!!"
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    bellsouth wrote: »

Awww, that's lovely. :)
  • Options
    Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chunchine wrote: »
    A similar thing happened to me with my library books, I left my bags on the tube and a very lovely old lady phoned me and arranged to meet and return my things, she also took my books (in a seperate plastic bag) back to the library as they were due in that day and that is where I was actually on the tube for... :D

It is so easily done to forget items on public transport (probably the boredom of the journey that boggles the mind and makes us forget) :p

Luckily now i have a car...just hope i dont ever forget where it is parked! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Corporate munificence, who would have thought it? That's lovely, that is. :)

Did you check the best before date though? :p;)

The letter really moved me, the chap said his ferrari would not be gained any sooner by the money sent and he couldn't bare to think of me going without. We were serving in Germany at the time and I'm almost sure that had something to do with it.
    The box was huge and I never did eat them all they were lovely though :D
  • Options
    ScrolllockScrolllock Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching a band a few years ago and a boy came over to me and said "My friend thinks you're really beautiful" and then placed his friends number in my hand. I think I actually cried a bit after this because I got so overwhelmed, is that pathetic? I called the friend though and he never ever answered. :( So that makes me think perhaps it was just a joke, but he seemed SO sincere.

No, that is not "pathetic!" That was really sweet. :)
  • Options
    spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My old RE teacher always smelt of drink, but he was always a kind man.
    Anyway I saw him on a bus one day and he helped a mum off with her trolly. Then the bus driver just drove off, thinking he was getting off at that stop anyway.
    I was sat too far back to say anything, but I saw his little face as it drove off, made me feel guilty for not making the bus stop.:o
  • Options
    BigfeetBigfeet Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spoty wrote: »
    My old RE teacher always smelt of drink, but he was always a kind man.
    Anyway I saw him on a bus one day and he helped a mum off with her trolly. Then the bus driver just drove off, thinking he was getting off at that stop anyway.
    I was sat too far back to say anything, but I saw his little face as it drove off, made me feel a big guilty for not making the bus stop.:o

:eek: sorry - I don't mean to impound your guilt, but why didn't you tell the driver to stop? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bigfeet wrote: »
    :eek: sorry - I don't mean to impound your guilt, but why didn't you tell the driver to stop? :)

I was at the back of the bus and the driver just took off so quick? or it seemed like. I thought the driver knew he was only helping?

Still, he was a good teacher made us laugh every leson. or lesson? he wasn't the English teacher though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was at the back of the bus and the driver just took off so quick? or it seemed like. I thought the driver knew he was only helping?
    Still, he was a good teacher made us laugh every leson. or lesson? he wasn't the English teacher though.

Ah - I see - poor teacher just trying to help though :(:) .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bigfeet wrote: »
    Ah - I see - poor teacher just trying to help though :(:) .

Bigfeet, we are going back over 25 years, when I was younger and shyer. If it had happended yesterday I would have ran up there and pulled the bus driver up and explained.

Saying that, today, the bus driver would just chuck me off the bus for talking while driving. Health & Safety:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I unknowingly left a pair of Gucci sunglasses in the back of a taxi in Barcelona...5mins later this cab driver is desperately trying to flag me down, the sunglasses were returned :)

That was about 5 years ago and I can't think of anything nice that has happened since :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bigfeet, we are going back over 25 years, when I was younger and shyer. If it had happended yesterday I would have ran up there and pulled the bus driver up and explained.

Saying that, today, the bus driver would just chuck me off the bus for talking while driving. Health & Safety:p

Ah - I see spoty - I know what you mean, I was more shy when I was younger - not so anymore though :p:D .

As for Health & Safety, yes - you're right there - the world's gawn mad I tell you :eek: :p .